Stephen Hawking: ? was not needed to create the Universe

Options
KTULU IS BACK
KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
too long, didnt read version: worlds smartest man says ? doesnt exist and the universe never needed ? to explain its existence either

hawking_1388171c.jpg
The Big Bang was the result of the inevitable laws of physics and did not need ? to spark the creation of the Universe, Stephen Hawking has concluded. Photo: GETTY

The scientist has claimed that no divine force was needed to explain why the Universe was formed.

In his latest book, The Grand Design, an extract of which is published in Eureka magazine in The Times, Hawking said: “Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist.”

He added: “It is not necessary to invoke ? to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going.”

In A Brief History of Time, Prof Hawking's most famous work, he did not dismiss the possibility that ? had a hand in the creation of the world.

He wrote in the 1988 book: "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we should know the mind of ? .”

In his new book he rejects Sir Isaac Newton's theory that the Universe did not spontaneously begin to form but was set in motion by ? .

In June this year Prof Hawking told a Channel 4 series that he didn't believe that a "personal" ? existed. He told Genius of Britain: "The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by ? for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second. If you like, you can call the laws of science '? ', but it wouldn't be a personal ? that you could meet, and ask questions."

Until his retirement last year Prof Hawking was Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, a post previously held by Newton.

The book, co-written by American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, is published on September 9.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7976594/Stephen-Hawking-? -was-not-needed-to-create-the-Universe.html

Comments

• louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That ? needs ? to fix his damn body since his smart ass aint found a way yet.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited September 2010
    Options
    whoah, that thread move was IMMEDIATE

mods are on their game today
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That ? needs ? to fix his damn body since his smart ass aint found a way yet.

he would have died in his thirties if medical science had not come up with the techniques that have kept him alive to old age

also, people believe in miracles, but there is never any evidence that ? actually heals crippled people or people with missing limbs. know why that is? because miracles arent real and ? doesnt exist.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'd like to ask Hawking who killed hip hop.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    eh....i wont say nothing....
  • memphis
    memphis Members Posts: 201
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'd really like some GED having ICer to come in here and try and refute one of the smartest men alive
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    93% of scentist are atheist that disapprove each other every year over things that cannot be scientifically proven.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    hawking_1388171c.jpg

Seen this article earlier..

Hawking even has the C'mon Son face.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I think peoples definition of what ? is, is truly the question.Is it a being, is it energy, is it consciousness,etc. It seems as if most things in life consists of duality, so i doubt there is one source or one being.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited September 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    eh....i wont say nothing....

yeah, this is literally the same thing we were arguing about last year

difference is, now hawking has a whole book about it

gonna cop that book
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited September 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I think peoples definition of what ? is, is truly the question.Is it a being, is it energy, is it consciousness,etc. It seems as if most things in life consists of duality, so i doubt there is one source or one being.

problem is, when people select a definition for that word, they are just making it up

they have no observation of any kind of ? , so they are just speculating based on what makes them feel good (or on what is politically expedient)
  • TX_Made713
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah, this is literally the same thing we were arguing about last year

difference is, now hawking has a whole book about it

gonna cop that book

whats the name of the book
  • memphis
    edited September 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    whats the name of the book

the name of his book is in the article Ktulu posted
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Hawking has said as much before. It cant be proven or disproven, so...believe what you choose to believe.
  • TX_Made713
    edited September 2010
    Options
    memphis wrote: »
    the name of his book is in the article Ktulu posted

i just read it

The Grand Design

ill check it out and see what mr. hawkings has to say
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This guy is white and a scientist.... doubly whammy.

Those two therefore prove whatever he says is a lie.
  • memphis
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you had the defects that Hawking has, would you believe in a loving ? ?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you had the defects that Hawking has, would you believe in a loving ? ?

Yes. ? was punishing him for his hatred toward other races. All white people have either a physical deformity or mental deformity, not a coincidence.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited September 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    It cant be proven or disproven, so...believe what you choose to believe.

Why does something have to be disproven if it cannot be proven?

If you are accused of committing a crime (a positive claim, that something happened) and the prosecution cannot prove that you did it, you are considered not guilty.

If a positive claim is made and cannot be supported, you can safely call it false.
  • memphis
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes. ? was punishing him for his hatred toward other races. All white people have either a physical deformity or mental deformity, not a coincidence.

You're a racist
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're a racist

No, I'm a realist, there are facts and proof to each of my claims.
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This guy is white and a scientist.... doubly whammy.

Those two therefore prove whatever he says is a lie.

L m a o

Well Damn!
  • memphis
    edited September 2010
    Options
    No, I'm a realist, there are facts and proof to each of my claims.

if you want to believe that to justify your racism, thats fine with me.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    if you want to believe that to justify your racism, thats fine with me.

Do you burn in the sun... yes proof.

Do you get headaches... yes proof.

Is it visible when you have dirt on you... Yes even more proof... ? outta here racist.
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited September 2010
    Options
    too long, didnt read version: worlds smartest man says ? doesnt exist and the universe never needed ? to explain its existence either

hawking_1388171c.jpg
    The Big Bang was the result of the inevitable laws of physics and did not need ? to spark the creation of the Universe, Stephen Hawking has concluded. Photo: GETTY

The scientist has claimed that no divine force was needed to explain why the Universe was formed.

In his latest book, The Grand Design, an extract of which is published in Eureka magazine in The Times, Hawking said: “Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist.”

He added: “It is not necessary to invoke ? to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going.”

In A Brief History of Time, Prof Hawking's most famous work, he did not dismiss the possibility that ? had a hand in the creation of the world.

He wrote in the 1988 book: "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we should know the mind of ? .”

In his new book he rejects Sir Isaac Newton's theory that the Universe did not spontaneously begin to form but was set in motion by ? .

In June this year Prof Hawking told a Channel 4 series that he didn't believe that a "personal" ? existed. He told Genius of Britain: "The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by ? for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second. If you like, you can call the laws of science '? ', but it wouldn't be a personal ? that you could meet, and ask questions."

Until his retirement last year Prof Hawking was Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, a post previously held by Newton.

The book, co-written by American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, is published on September 9.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7976594/Stephen-Hawking-? -was-not-needed-to-create-the-Universe.html

Well that’s Hawking’s metaphysical preference that ‘g-d’ was not needed to create the Universe. So what? <shrugs>