Am I the only one that thought it was funny when Jesus did this?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
This isn't meant for great discussion or anything. I've just thought this was funny everytime I read it. It appears in all the Gospels but John. Here it is as it appears in Mark.

12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.

How random is that? Can you imagine that? This is the Messiah. It's like he's hungry, sees the tree and gets his mouth watering for some figs, and then when he finds the tree doesn't have any he gets annoyed and curses it. And by curse, I mean an actual curse because later on this happens:

20In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!"

lol So Jesus basically killed a tree because it didn't have fruit when he wanted. Granted he flipped it to make it a lesson, but he could have just as easily commanded it to bear fruit and taught that same lesson. This action to me seems to be a clear act of annoyance. That's something you don't really associate with Jesus, especially not over something as small as this.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    To me its kind of stupid. Wth curses are tree for not bearing fruit when its out of season?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    and lo, jesus did go into the Subway

and lo, they didst not have meatballs with which to make him a meatball sandwich that day

and jesus did say "Verily, you shall never sell sandwiches here again!"

and all their bread turned stale

but nobody noticed, because Subway's bread is always stale

and Judas was like "LOL ? this ? "
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2010
    Options
    To me its kind of stupid. Wth curses are tree for not bearing fruit when its out of season?

Yeah that's weird, but maybe Jesus didn't know it wasn't the season for figs. Maybe he just saw the leaves and thought the tree was in season. That's kinda what it seems like is going on.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Jesus caught feelins.... LMAO

Good thing he died a ? , imagine the women that would have turned him down had he not been that way his entire life.. damn.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah that's weird, but maybe Jesus didn't know it wasn't the season for figs. Maybe he just saw the leaves and thought the tree was in season. That's kinda what it seems like is going on.

If jesus knew who peeps were who walked up to them before they even talked, how is he not going to know a tree is out of season?

More than likely it was some wild tale added to the 'life and times of jesus the christ'.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If jesus knew who peeps were who walked up to them before they even talked, how is he not going to know a tree is out of season?

More than likely it was some wild tale added to the 'life and times of jesus the christ'.

I think the story has an underlying meaning to it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited September 2010
    Options

Ok help me out then, cuz its going over my head.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ok help me out then, cuz its going over my head.

lol I don't know yet I have to go read it all the way. But chances are it does, the other stories in the bible almost always have some sort of moral lesson involved so I think this one does for now.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This isn't meant for great discussion or anything. I've just thought this was funny everytime I read it. It appears in all the Gospels but John. Here it is as it appears in Mark.

12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.

How random is that? Can you imagine that? This is the Messiah. It's like he's hungry, sees the tree and gets his mouth watering for some figs, and then when he finds the tree doesn't have any he gets annoyed and curses it. And by curse, I mean an actual curse because later on this happens:

20In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!"

lol So Jesus basically killed a tree because it didn't have fruit when he wanted. Granted he flipped it to make it a lesson, but he could have just as easily commanded it to bear fruit and taught that same lesson. This action to me seems to be a clear act of annoyance. That's something you don't really associate with Jesus, especially not over something as small as this.

Maybe the tree was already in the process of dying and Jesus just acknowledged it out loud to himself.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yeah I don't know. I mean Jesus seemed to have to apply his power willingly. It's one thing to use it to acknowledge a person. It's another to gleem whether a tree is going to have fruit or not. It could have been something added to bloat the tale, but this would be a really random thing to add. It comes off as so arbitrary.

Well in the area after the second quote he goes on to explain that if someone has faith they can pretty much do anything. However, I don't think this is the meaning for that action. It's really just him responding to their astonishment at what he did. Like I said before, he could have just as easily commanded it to bear fruit, and if it had done that within a matter of hours, it would have come off just as miraculous. To me, his actions in this case seemed to be motivated by annoyance.
    Chike wrote: »
    Maybe the tree was already in the process of dying and Jesus just acknowledged it out loud to himself.

True, but the way it was described made it seem like the tree was healthy. If it showed visible signs of dying, Jesus probably wouldn't have gone up to it expecting fruit in the first place. Also keep in mind that the time in between him making the curse and it coming true was only a few hours. The tree wouldn't have withered that fast naturally.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well in the area after the second quote he goes on to explain that if someone has faith they can pretty much do anything. However, I don't think this is the meaning for that action. It's really just him responding to their astonishment at what he did. Like I said before, he could have just as easily commanded it to bear fruit, and if it had done that within a matter of hours, it would have come off just as miraculous. To me, his actions in this case seemed to be motivated by annoyance.

Couldn't that possibly be the meaning though?

Acting off of feelings instead of thought causes destruction, but thinking with a sense of calm and intelligence can be fruitful for all.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah I don't know. I mean Jesus seemed to have to apply his power willingly. It's one thing to use it to acknowledge a person. It's another to gleem whether a tree is going to have fruit or not. It could have been something added to bloat the tale, but this would be a really random thing to add. It comes off as so arbitrary.

Okay, I think I got it's meaning now. He was using a real life example of how those evil rotten ? people who bear no fruit will get zapped by the will of ? and forever bear no fruit and will wither and die, just like their heathen ? should.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Okay, I think I got it's meaning now. He was using a real life example of how those evil rotten ? people who bear no fruit will get zapped by the will of ? and forever bear no fruit and will wither and die, just like their heathen ? should.

Shocked.gif

• BiblicalAtheist
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Shocked.gif

? that gif totally f*cked me up lmao.

Edit: you guys are good at the timing with some of those gifs
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yeah I actually considered that. The only problem is that he never said anything like that. When he addressed it, he went more on a tangent about being able to do anything if you have sufficient faith. Your interpretation certainly would fit Jesus' MO though.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Good synopsis, poor choice of words...

Yes my bad, sarcasm has a hold on me tonight.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    and lo, jesus did go into the Subway

and lo, they didst not have meatballs with which to make him a meatball sandwich that day

and jesus did say "Verily, you shall never sell sandwiches here again!"

and all their bread turned stale

but nobody noticed, because Subway's bread is always stale

and Judas was like "LOL ? this ? "

Stale Bread is actually better for you. Freshly baked bread still hasn't had time for the yeast or rising agent to settle which if eaten is still rising causing your stomach to buckle and indigestion.

Word to Shwebel's.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Allegory.

Symbolic of a person or group who fails to be productive in the time needed, even after given much.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Jesus got angry and cursed the tree, nothing symbolic about it.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Allegory.

Symbolic of a person or group who fails to be productive in the time needed, even after given much.

But the tree is productive in the time needed.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Good synopsis, poor choice of words...

still...you were able to navigate thru something that the t/s didn't have the mental capacity to do...so, you at least get a point for that.

its over, its over, its over, so now you're coming into light hearted topics to take shots at people? So how much are you going to cry and pretend to be persecuted the next time some one calls you out on your lack of reasoning? You're a funny guy, not a very bright one, but funny nonetheless.

Anyway, the things people are saying certainly are valid and are lessons that could be taken, but they don't really jive with the context and flow of the scriptures. For one, whenever Jesus told a parable or took an action to make a point, he was always called his disciples' attention to the object of that point and was clear to explain exactly what it meant and to put things into perspective. That didn't happen. He did not call the disciples to the tree or alert them to what he was doing. He did it solo and Peter just happened to overhear him. When they were passing by the tree the second time, Jesus again did not bring their attention to the tree. It was Peter who did it and he did it out of amazement that it had withered. Jesus didn't say anything to link this incident to what happened in the temple. He merely taught them about faith in response to their surprise. This was something he did everytime the disciples were awestruck by one of his actions.

Honestly, I think you can take the lesson about faith away from this a something that Jesus actually wanted to teach. I wouldn't say it's wrong to take the other points suggested either. However, based on how this scripture is written, it really didn't seem like Jesus had any real point in making the tree wilt other than frustration at it having no fruit. If Peter had not overheard Jesus speak the curse, Jesus likely would have never commented on it.
    garv wrote: »
    But the tree is productive in the time needed.

Exactly, the tree wasn't barren, the Bibile says figs weren't even in season yet.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

*insert "u mad" gif*

Lmao
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2010
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    *insert "u mad" gif*

Lmao

The reason it's so funny to me is I could imagine him doing it and being so calm about it. The disciples just thinking it was just a meaningless comment until the see the tree dead and are like "Oh ? ."
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Jesus caught feelins.... LMAO

Good thing he died a ? , imagine the women that would have turned him down had he not been that way his entire life.. damn.

LMAO......post of the day
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Jesus got angry and cursed the tree, nothing symbolic about it.

Pretty much. Otherwise, it just proves my point the Bible is just a bunch of made up ? . As most people around the world think anyway.