Official 9/11 Remembrance Thread

Options
MacOne
MacOne Banned Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Social Lounge
Mods, could we perhaps get this stickied until Sunday? This is a very emotional time in American society as Saturday approaches and we should do our part to pay our respects.

So, where were all of you when the towers went down, and how did you feel?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We had it coming to us, big deal.

When we have remembrance day for the thousands of kids we drop bombs on overseas and ? and have a remembrance day for when we don't ? off former allies let me know.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Was putting sitting in my friend's dorm room when I got the phone call to not wear my uniform that day, and to turn on the news. Saw as the 2nd plane hit live. I remember thinking WTF is happening. And I think this should be stickied too.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I was about 7 or 8 blocks away though watching outside as smoke and ? filled the sky. Heard the second plane hit, seen it coming in to hit it, fireballs all that. Got to miss a week of school though because of it.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I was taking this stupid standardized math test in my Vo-Tech class when I heard about the 1st plane. Figured it was some freak accident. Then when I heard bout the 2nd one, I knew ? Got Real, so I just put down "C" for the rest of my answers and bounced to the room where the TV was.

Some whtie bouls was clownin the ? ...wrote a bunch of U.S landmarks on the blackboard and added "COMING SOON".

When it was time to get on the bus back to regular H.S I was talkin with my ? the whole time like "SMH, we shouldn't have ? around with them Arab muhfuckas, now the ? done finally bit us in the ass." I thought it was beyond the capabilities of some militia rednecks and that the FBI's most wanted terrorist mastermind was prolly behind it.

Went to the library and spent the rest of the day helping people find working news websites. CNN, MSNBC, etc almost all major news websites had crashed HARD because they had alot of fancy ? on they page and the insane surge in traffic just crushed them. Plus alot of NYC web routers were DOWN FOR THE COUNT, for obvious reasons. By the end of the day, all CNN could get up on their site was a single article written in HTML.

The news sites I relied on were:

1) The AP Breaking News wire hosted by Tampa Bay Online - really the best source, I wish I still had the articles I printed out. They had some pretty prescient analysis like a military man saying straight up "The hijackers had to be flying the planes, no pilot would fly into the WTC, even with a gun to his head" and the utterly eerie CIA vet who told his buddy "It ain't over. There's more planes." right before the Pentagon got hit.

2) The Drudge Report - thanks to Drudge's low tech site design, he handled the surge in traffic just fine

3) later, BBC.co.uk

When they called me up to the principal's office at the end of the day for skippin classes, I just made up some sob story about my aunt who worked in NYC. (complete w/ fake-ass tears lol) The security guard didn't buy it for a second but the female assistant principal swallowed that ? hook, line, and sinker. No 3 days of detention for truancy. Win.

For what its worth, I still think Columbine was a bigger shock to us schoolkids. 9/12 was strange, but it didn't compare to the day after Columbine. Some teachers had us talk about 9/11, but others wanted to just move on. Muhfuckas was just dead-ass silent the whole day after them white bouls sprayed that school. Nobody was even thinking of bullying or teasing anyone......Klebold and Harris put the fear of ? in us kids and deaded that ish......you knew it could happen to you if that outcast kid lost it and had access to a gun collection. By contrast, you knew there was no chance of Al Qaeda flyin a plane into ur school.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

When we have remembrance day for the thousands of kids we drop bombs on overseas and ? and have a remembrance day for when we don't ? off former allies let me know.

Yep

Like Dead Prez said

september 11th
    televised world-wide
    suicide planes fallin like bombs from out the sky
    they wasn't aimin at us
    not at my house
    they hit the world trade, the
    pentagon, and almost got the
    white house
    now everybody walkin round patriotic
    how we gon' fight to keep freedom
    when we ain't got it?
    you wanna stop terrorists?
    start with the u.s. imperalists
    ain't no track record like america's, see
    bin laden was trained by the c.i.a
    but I guess if you a terrorist for the u.s
    then it's okay
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    At school. My family just took it like "oh well, they had it comin.'" Only difference is, back then I though it was a real Arab lead Terrorist plot, but by mid 2002 I knew better. As of 2003, Military recruitment in our school was at a feverish pitch.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Very true.
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2010
    Options
    oh and the GOAT 9/11 joke is the 2nd Family Guy James Woods episode where Peter steals James identity, goes on Letterman, and promotes his new film "September 11, Two Thousand FUN", complete w/ David ? as "the voice of the plane" lmaoooo
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yeah well, CIA blowback is probably the last thing on your mind if you're one of the unlucky muhfuckas that worked for Windows on the World or Cantor Fitzgerald.

The_Falling_Man.jpg
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Didn't say I was happy for it. But I understand why it happened and I'm not going to worry about it. Those who lost a family member because of it should be ? off at the government for their role in creating it instead of blaming every Muslim and wanting to ? a shitload of them who weren't extremists.
    \

But look at the bright side, they got to experience flight before dying!!!

Flying for 8 seconds before hitting pavement at 35 sure beats having chest pains when your 60 and dying.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    @ThaChozenWun

"Those who lost a family member because of it should be ? off at the government for their role in creating it instead of blaming every Muslim and wanting to ? a shitload of them who weren't extremists.

But look at the bright side, they got to experience flight before dying!!!"

Damn........That's just cold blooded and true...SMH
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Yeah well, CIA blowback is probably the last thing on your mind if you're one of the unlucky muhfuckas that worked for Windows on the World or Cantor Fitzgerald.

The_Falling_Man.jpg

Same with the children over in the middle east when bombs drop on their foreheads.
  • memphis
    memphis Members Posts: 201
    edited September 2010
    Options
    @ThaChozenWun

"Those who lost a family member because of it should be ? off at the government for their role in creating it instead of blaming every Muslim and wanting to ? a shitload of them who weren't extremists.

But look at the bright side, they got to experience flight before dying!!!"

Damn........That's just cold blooded and true...SMH

I laughed my ass off at that post.

I gotta think of what Gandhi said, and I wished more peple thought like him " an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i was watching the ? on tv and knowing that people would be REFUSING to blame the muslims directly responsible for it
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? I was sleep when the first one hit. Woke up turned on msnbc like I do daily and saw the WTC smoking.. I instantly was like "? here we go".. They were saying it must've been an accident or something wrong with radar etc.. Then I remember while watching live seeing the second plane swoop in and hit.. I was like wow.. Then I watched for a few more minutes, got up and left to go pay my electric\heating bill.. Everyone at the place was stunned watching tv.. I started explaining anti\counter terrorism.. Then I went all the way downtown to work only to walk up just as everyone was being told to go home.