50 cent vs Kanye Who has a better catalog??

Options
Triple B's
Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Ok so me and a homeboy got into this big ass argument on Twitter over who had the better albums. I of course being the lyrical listener that I am said Ye'. My ? in the streets says 50. Im pretty sure that this has been brought up, so my bad. But who was the better catalog?

Get Rich Or Die Trying vs College Dropout

Late Registration vs Massacre

Curtis vs Graduation

808s and HeartBreak vs Before I self Destruct

Because of the sheer amount of singles GRODT had, plus GLC and rhymefest ghost writing i put that over College Dropout

Late registration over Massacre (Actually Ill put Late Registration over every 50 album period, but that my Bias)

Graduation over Curtis (allday)

808s over BISD (barely)

Comments

• the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kanye>>>>>50 period. only thing 50 had was GRODT. the massacre was ok but late registration ? on it
  • Triple B's
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kanye>>>>>50 period. only thing 50 had was GRODT. the massacre was ok but late registration ? on it

You know what? I went back and listened to BISD, it wasnt as bad as I originally thought.... But yeah still Ye over 50
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited September 2010
    Options
    GRODT vs. College Dropout.... I gotta say tie with this because they are both classic, very different albums though
    Late Registration vs. The Massacre... I also gotta say tie, the Massacre is highly underrated very good album, Late Registration also a very good album

Now this is where Kanye takes over
    Graduation >>> Curtis.... Far better then Curtis, far far better
    808's and Heartbreaks >>> BISD .... Far better then BISD as well

so in conclusion Ye has better then better catalogue
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Late registstration& cd>>>>>>>>>
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • Precision904
    Precision904 Members Posts: 453
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kanye hands down
  • Triple B's
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ok Ok. Now im Kanye all the way. But does Ye having ghost writers on his first album water down the albums potency. **Devils Advocate ? **
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kanye West, easily.
  • Triple B's
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ye has way better catalog. its more diverse and interesting than 50's too. since college drop out, kanye has been showing his growth as an all around artist whereas 50 is still leaning with the same subject matter, delivery and flow. he hasnt level'd up since his debut. he needs a new sound. its not even consistency that holds 50 back because hes consistently average...and thats his problem.

^^^^^^ Well stated
  • rep_domcp82
    rep_domcp82 Members Posts: 9
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Does Dr. Dre having ghost writers water down the fact that both Chronic albums are classics? I think same rules apply to Kanye for College Dropout. That album and GRODT are two of the most important hip-hop albums of the 00's.

I think Kanye's catalog is better. 50 hurt himself with his watered down attempts at crossover success (see candy shop, money in the bank, amusement park, etc), when he already had that after GRODT.
  • kweyork
    kweyork Members Posts: 733
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thats a close one, if you like gangster rap you say 50 - if you don't like gangster rap you'll say ye

Its hard to compare both catalogs - you'll have to give a particular criteria to compare them fairly

If you compare them based on creativity then Ye has a better catalog

If you compare based on lyrics it would be a tie

If you compare based on consistency - 50 has the better catalog (you know what to expect from this guy - consistently grimy ? raps)

.... this kinda comparison is very subjective - if your into conventional dark hip hop - you'll say 50 he paints a better dark portrait, if you are into futuristic lighter subject areas then ye is better at painting pastel like portraits - this comparison is very subjective
  • Triple B's
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kweyork wrote: »
    Thats a close one, if you like gangster rap you say 50 - if you don't like gangster rap you'll say ye

Its hard to compare both catalogs - you'll have to give a particular criteria to compare them fairly

If you compare them based on creativity then Ye has a better catalog

If you compare based on lyrics it would be a tie

If you compare based on consistency - 50 has the better catalog (you know what to expect from this guy - consistently grimy ? raps)

.... this kinda comparison is very subjective - if your into conventional dark hip hop - you'll say 50 he paints a better dark portrait, if you are into futuristic lighter subject areas then ye is better at painting pastel like portraits - this comparison is very subjective

NO ? to the bolded.

Lyrically 50 cant see Ye. Consistency? ye? 3 GREAT albums, 1 good. 50? 1 GREAT album, 1 eh.., 1 suspect, 1 decent

Kanye is the better storyteller also.

respect for the response tho
  • BEONDON
    BEONDON Members Posts: 112
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm going to have to co-sign pretty much everybody in this thread thus far and go for.....Kanye

I can listen to Kanye catalogue pretty much all the way thru until i reach 808's, it's not the same with 50 GRODT and Massacre yeah i can bump those but once i get to curtis i start skipping
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    is this a legit question? Kanye hands down
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kanye had ghost writers on College Dropout? Learn something new on the internet everyday. Leave it up to yall and every popular rapper has a ghost writer and cant do nothing themselves. SMH!!

Either way lyrically, Kanye is just above 50, but musically Kanye ? on 50...

Getwitcha
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    50 over Ye easily.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ok Ok. Now im Kanye all the way. But does Ye having ghost writers on his first album water down the albums potency. **Devils Advocate ? **
    ? no. how does having people help you write water down the album?
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I gotta say Kanye cause after The massacre 50's music got boring and stale to me. Production had a lot to do with it, him and Banks even admitted that they were so "hot" at one point they didn't need big producers anymore....whatever ? .
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i say even i give the 1st and last album to 50 and the 2 and 3rd to kanye. But if you include 50s mixtapes and pod 50 takes it
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kanye over 50 anyday

College dropout 7/10
    Late registration 8/10
    Graduation 8/10
    808's 7/10

GRODT 7/10
    The Massace 5/10
    Curtis 1/10
    BISD 5.5/10

Kanye is just a better artist im afriad.
  • kweyork
    edited September 2010
    Options
    NO ? to the bolded.

Lyrically 50 cant see Ye. Consistency? ye? 3 GREAT albums, 1 good. 50? 1 GREAT album, 1 eh.., 1 suspect, 1 decent

Kanye is the better storyteller also.

respect for the response tho

Thats subjective homes - if we come off the internet and go the hood and ask that question most would say 50 - cause the ? kanye spit they cant relate, if you ask people who respond to rap forums then they go say kanye - different demographics

so its no surprise you see most going for kanye - if you like grodt how can you not like the rest of 50s catalogue ? been consistent with his grimy music - the reason is that most people just followed the hype for his first album they weren't really into ? rap music, they just found his story fascinating and thought the album gave them a glimse into his life prior to rap.

But those appreciators of his story were never really into ? rap there were just into sensationalism - because 50 been keeping that music coming through mixtapes and albums

so again this ? is subjective
  • jonathand
    jonathand Members Posts: 3,144
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I laugh everytime a ? try to act as if kanye is lyrical. GRODT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kanye
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jonathand wrote: »
    I laugh everytime a ? try to act as if kanye is lyrical. GRODT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kanye

Late registrTion>>>>>>>>>>

College Dropout>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • kweyork
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Late registrTion>>>>>>>>>>

College Dropout>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

a ? like you prove my point majority of your favourite rappers are not known for dark hip hop music then automatically you go say kanye cause you like that soft ? ...