Is China Starting To Impose Their Form Of Democracy in Africa?

Options
anthony7q
anthony7q Members Posts: 782
edited September 2010 in The Social Lounge
Definitions of Pro-democracy on the Web:

* Pro-democracy camp, pan-democracy camp or pan-democrats (Chinese: 泛民主派, 民主派 or 泛民) are terms frequently used by Chinese state-run media and pro-establishment academics to refer to the politicians and social activists in Hong Kong. ...

http://newzimsituation.com/swaziland-protesters-threatened-with-torture-89591.htm

Swaziland protesters threatened with torture

Swaziland has threatened pro-democracy activists with torture as tensions in sub-Saharan Africa's last absolute monarchy continue to grow. The warning that sipakatane -- beating the feet with spikes -- would be used against protesters was condemned by trade unions in the country after a week which saw 50 protesters arrested and several foreigners roughly treated and deported. Sipakatane, also known as ? , involves using metal or wooden spikes to beat someone's bare feet repeatedly, leaving them bleeding and potentially unable

I came across the story on globalgrind.com..Swaziland's King Has A Freaky ? Don't understand why they used that headline. He's not getting off on mutilating people's feet.

"Each person should mind the politics of his own country and not come here to meddle in our affairs, especially if that country has a lot of its own problems,"King Mswati III of Swaziland told the Times of Swaziland newspaper.

x160.jpg

Comments

• anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited September 2010
    Options
    http://www.cmi.no/research/project/?1273=transition-to-what

Transition to what? African liberation- and pro-democracy movements' troubled democratic heritage

Dominant executives, weak democratic institutions and shrinking space for critical deliberation and contestation of political power characterise most countries in Southern and Eastern Africa - despite democratic constitutions and multi-party elections. To what extent is the state of democracy a consequence of the mode and force of transition from colonial or authoritarian rule?

African transitions fall in three broad categories. The first are countries where the armed liberation movements that once secured independence from colonial rulers are still in power (Angola and Mozambique 1975; Zimbabwe 1980; Namibia 1992; South Africa 1994). Then there are the second-generation liberation movements that waged armed struggles against African dictatorships in the 1990s, and have been in power since (Uganda, Ethiopia, and Eritrea). And thirdly there are pro-democracy movements that have seen the establishment of multi-party political systems since the early 1990s in many African countries (Zambia, Malawi). But also in the new democracies there has been a striking weakness of opposition, and the pro-democracy party, once elected, has generally remained in power. As a striking contrast to electoral policies in new democracies globally, African incumbents have seldom lost elections, despite persistent poverty and poor governance.

The purpose of this workshop is to present comparative perspectives of how democratisation processes of different kinds have developed in Africa. Bearing in mind that there seems to be a characteristic trait that both generations of liberation movements as well as the pro-democracy movements to a very large degree failed to fully implement the democratic aspirations that were such an important element both of the anti-colonial struggle and the support for the pro-democracy movement. The new regimes centred more on attaining power, and less on creating a democratic state and society. The sessions of the workshop will investigate key thematic aspects of (anti)democratic development in the region.

The workshop is the initiating meeting of a new research initiative carried out in collaboration between the University of Bergen, University of Oslo, the Nordic Africa Institute and CMI. The workshop is funded by a grant from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affarirs,the CMI-UiB fund and the University of Oslo.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    thing is africa doesnt need anybody or anything from anybody. the weakness within this continent comes from within. too much selfhatred and dependency. nigeria has some of the smartest black people in the world outside of america blacks yet alot of them in the country rather find a illegal hustle or not work to there potential. the people are strong and have strong family values yet still bow to any other people or group rather than taking their own lead.
    I personally know alot of african doctors , chemists, lawyers and everything. so its there, all they need to do is band together and form a real AU outside of arab, white and chinese control...form an AU military out of all those militias, let the economy rest of the oil, gold and diamond and mineral trade and what can stop them.... only they can stop them. but for some reason they cant see this

american blacks need to lead the strength of africa in the right direction.
    american blacks are smart leaders with no backbone
    africans have the backbone but no smart leaders

together we can become a real hyperpower
    but thats just me
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    thing is africa doesnt need anybody or anything from anybody. the weakness within this continent comes from within. too much selfhatred and dependency. nigeria has some of the smartest black people in the world outside of america blacks yet alot of them in the country rather find a illegal hustle or not work to there potential. the people are strong and have strong family values yet still bow to any other people or group rather than taking their own lead.
    I personally know alot of african doctors , chemists, lawyers and everything. so its there, all they need to do is band together and form a real AU outside of arab, white and chinese control...form an AU military out of all those militias, let the economy rest of the oil, gold and diamond and mineral trade and what can stop them.... only they can stop them. but for some reason they cant see this

but thats just me

Good post. Definitely on point. Pan Africanism is the solution and has always been.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    Options

but thats just me

it's a silly stereotype americans have that northern africans are all arab and light skinned at that. the conflict in sudan states otherwise. also nigerien (not nigerian) arabs are dark skinned. an example would be the tuareg.

berbers and bedouin people in the maghreb region aren't arabs either. should we eliminate them too or the black arabs? the idea that american blacks need to lead africa is an insult to my people. we already saw the mess you guys caused in liberia. no thank you. get that talented tenth thinking out of here
    who told you africans haven o smart leaders? do you want me to give examples?

and lol@forming an AU military. just what africa needs, a bloated military force that takes away funds from important causes
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Good post. Definitely on point. Pan Africanism is the solution and has always been.

oh ? , don't let me start on this.

i hope you are not african allowing someone to basically call us retards with brute strength?
  • musicology1985
    edited September 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    oh ? , don't let me start on this.

i hope you are not african allowing someone to basically call us retards with brute strength?

No Sir I did not mean it like that Busayo. I just cosign his overall point but everyone knows that Nigerians are the most intellectual blacks on the planet. You know that.
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    No Sir I did not mean it like that Busayo. I just cosign his overall point but everyone knows that Nigerians are the most intellectual blacks on the planet. You know that.

but we are not smart leaders right? what is that supposed to mean.
    the brawn without brains argument is insulting. and these are the kind of people you want to form a pan-africanist alliance with?

i'd be cautious if i were you. the liberian and sierra-leonian experiences states otherwise. we all know what the americo-liberian community did to the indigenious africans there
  • musicology1985
    edited September 2010
    Options
    but we are not smart leaders right? what is that supposed to mean.
    the brawn without brains argument is insulting. and these are the kind of people you want to form a pan-africanist alliance with?

i'd be cautious if i were you. the liberian and sierra-leonian experiences states otherwise. we all know what the americo-liberian community did to the indigenious africans there

Aww come man I din't mean it like that, because black Africans are great leaders too. All I'm saying is Pan-Africanism is the way to go, and the Americo Liberian and Sierra Leonian set ups were destined to fail because we weren't ready yet, and they had just gone through Caucasoid brainwashing just like the Arabized North Africans. Now in the 21st century is a better time.
  • musicology1985
    edited September 2010
    Options
    also Busayo, that was only a small amount of blacks from the west that did you guys wrong. Remember that your side sold millions of us into slavery for over 300 years so neither side is holier than though. What the Anerica Liberians & Leonians did does not compare to what was done to them first Busayo. Lets move on.
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    also Busayo, that was only a small amount of blacks from the west that did you guys wrong. Remember that your side sold millions of us into slavery for over 300 years so neither side is holier than though. What the Anerica Liberians & Leonians did does not compare to what was done to them first Busayo. Lets move on.

yeah lets let that go.

so how do you feel pan-africanism can combat chinese economic influence?

i'm not a fan of china either, especially what they do in places like equitorial guinea
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm afraid the earthly resources are a curse. diamonds, gold, oil mostly in the hands of foreign companies, don't get me wrong, I lost my sense of nationality and borders a long time ago, but when it's hurting the development of the regions in question(where corruption celebrates daily and a lot of things are still out there for the taking due to the lack of infrastructure)

for a while (and for a part I still do) I believed that the Chinese influence would have a positive effect on the development of infrastructure(and all that comes with it, from education/technolgy to roads and housing) markets would explode and new greater markets would emerge(which would be mostly native owned) in other words I hoped that it would change regions into developed countries, just like Holland, China etc.

imo Afrika's problem is the worlds problem, ? pan-africanism, as long as the european agriculture market remains of a protective nature, afrikan agriculture will remain low key.....just one example regarding globalisation and the effects it has on economies and thus the development of nations world wide. What 'Afrika' needs is free trade, what the world needs = free trade.

but lets face it, free trade won't happen without force. As long as there are companies like Goodyear and Royal Dutch Shell, that pay pity wages, lack to invest in the regions they get their resources and thus income from(and strong arm politicians) ain't ? happening. Hell Shell even strong arms the Dutch government, wtf man?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited September 2010
    Options
    it's a silly stereotype americans have that northern africans are all arab and light skinned at that. the conflict in sudan states otherwise. also nigerien (not nigerian) arabs are dark skinned. an example would be the tuareg.

berbers and bedouin people in the maghreb region aren't arabs either. should we eliminate them too or the black arabs? the idea that american blacks need to lead africa is an insult to my people. we already saw the mess you guys caused in liberia. no thank you. get that talented tenth thinking out of here
    who told you africans haven o smart leaders? do you want me to give examples?

and lol@forming an AU military. just what africa needs, a bloated military force that takes away funds from important causes

the liberian mess was a long time ago and just being thrown onto land after what we have been thru....almost anyone would fail. and we cannot blame that on the americans. i am not blaming africans for anything but we need to look at ? for what it is. When i visited africa for a wedding in tanzania and then we went unto zanzibar, what i saw is what i speaking on. I know all of africa is not like what i saw but the things i did see was very hurtful. i saw white speaking to the natives like ? and they take it in stride, but when approached like they are human and have feeling by us, we was looked at like ni99a dont ask me ? . its that type of self hatred i didnt like. that ? goes on here in america but africa is the land of africans and no one should come onto your land treating you like that. i see the resourses being used up by other countries and the continent not reaping the full reward or it.

look at the middle east for example. saudi, iran and iraq no matter how ? up it is...they got there money for there oil. canada and mexico gets their money for there oil and you can see it in the infrastructure and economy. but nigeria is not getting the same or its not investing the same. look at zimbabwe, dude has billions in diamonds and threatened to flood the market and force the price od diamonds to drop and what happened. all some jew has to say is they are bllod diamonds and we will not except them into the market. so the jews can control that part of the economy. if we supported each other then we dont need those damn jews to make the laws. that is what i mean by joining forces. so from what I saw and thats just my opinion......some of these countries or people not all but some dont stand up for themselves like the american blacks stand up against stuff.

I see the civil conflicts and all within the countries and that goes on everywhere on the planet, the problem is alot of these conflicts can be traced back to someone other than an african. the weapons come from countries outside of africa
    so whos benefiting from all the ? fighting, whoever is recieving the resourses thats who and who dying in the process the uneducated africans that got lured into fighting for a made up cause.

the reason i said to form an AU force is to protect the wealth of the continent. think about it.. all those people willing to fight for the motherland....who could oppose it...what force could stop it? what country would have the man power to deal with it.

I know africa has good leaders, take the emotion out of what i said and understand why i said it. here in america we gotta fight twice as hard just because of our skin color and from birth we are at a disadvantage, so we got thru life fighting everyday in a country that doesnt want us here. in africa i'm sure you have to fight but the continent is made up of africans and the prejudices are a but different i would assume. are their people in africa that try to say you dont belong there? are there people that try to say your inferior? do you have negative images of africans all over the place in media and ? while portraying the whites as superior? thats my point
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    I'm afraid the earthly resources are a curse. diamonds, gold, oil mostly in the hands of foreign companies, don't get me wrong, I lost my sense of nationality and borders a long time ago, but when it's hurting the development of the regions in question(where corruption celebrates daily and a lot of things are still out there for the taking due to the lack of infrastructure)

for a while (and for a part I still do) I believed that the Chinese influence would have a positive effect on the development of infrastructure(and all that comes with it, from education/technolgy to roads and housing) markets would explode and new greater markets would emerge(which would be mostly native owned) in other words I hoped that it would change regions into developed countries, just like Holland, China etc.

imo Afrika's problem is the worlds problem, ? pan-africanism, as long as the european agriculture market remains of a protective nature, afrikan agriculture will remain low key.....just one example regarding globalisation and the effects it has on economies and thus the development of nations world wide. What 'Afrika' needs is free trade, what the world needs = free trade.

but lets face it, free trade won't happen without force. As long as there are companies like Goodyear and Royal Dutch Shell, that pay pity wages, lack to invest in the regions they get their resources and thus income from(and strong arm politicians) ain't ? happening. Hell Shell even strong arms the Dutch government, wtf man?

what i hear in this post is needing help from somewhere else other than africans.
    sorry bruh...but china aint worried about you or african education and infrastructure. what they are going to do is build whats going to help china get what they need. so you say ? pan africanism....since you brought europe, what do you think they are doing? they are looking out for europe and dont give a ? about free trade in africa...the african people dont need them...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited September 2010
    Options
    bottom line is.....i dont care what foreign company had control of what in africa....
    if some of those militias take that ? over instead of working for it and stop sending ? out.....then 1 of 2 things will happen.
    those countries that need that resource will come to fight for it,
    or now you have a negotiation tool because someone wants to listen.
    either way at least your controling whats going on in your backyard.
  • musicology1985
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah lets let that go.

so how do you feel pan-africanism can combat chinese economic influence?

peep Pralim's post. Without further development of Pan-Africanism, Africa will continue to be taken advantage of.

@Pralims

Don't pay no attention to Alkindus. He stays talkin' anti-pan African ? & pro Europe ? because he's a North African that benefits from and lives in Europe.
  • LONDON!
    LONDON! Members Posts: 679 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    anthony7q wrote: »
    Definitions of Pro-democracy on the Web:

* Pro-democracy camp, pan-democracy camp or pan-democrats (Chinese: 泛民主派, 民主派 or 泛民) are terms frequently used by Chinese state-run media and pro-establishment academics to refer to the politicians and social activists in Hong Kong. ...

http://newzimsituation.com/swaziland-protesters-threatened-with-torture-89591.htm

Swaziland protesters threatened with torture

Swaziland has threatened pro-democracy activists with torture as tensions in sub-Saharan Africa's last absolute monarchy continue to grow. The warning that sipakatane -- beating the feet with spikes -- would be used against protesters was condemned by trade unions in the country after a week which saw 50 protesters arrested and several foreigners roughly treated and deported. Sipakatane, also known as ? , involves using metal or wooden spikes to beat someone's bare feet repeatedly, leaving them bleeding and potentially unable

I came across the story on globalgrind.com..Swaziland's King Has A Freaky ? Don't understand why they used that headline. He's not getting off on mutilating people's feet.

"Each person should mind the politics of his own country and not come here to meddle in our affairs, especially if that country has a lot of its own problems,"King Mswati III of Swaziland told the Times of Swaziland newspaper.

x160.jpg

i don't know what this article has to do wit the chinese goverment replacing western goverment investment in africa, because western goverment investment always had hidden, imperialist, population control aka eugenics agenda's behind them, you see what i'm saying, while wit the chinese goverment theirs no fake hypocritical, patronising, undercover evil, hidden agenda, there just 100% bizness men, nuthin more, nuthin less

the only problem you have wit the chinese goverment and i'm talking from experience from having family in z(zambia), where my parents are from and my ethnic origin, from experience from knowing like most human being bizness men, if you don't regulate them properly and don't have a system in place that enforces these type of regulations witout any corruption then most human being bizness men wil cut corners and take the ? to maximise profits and miminize costs, you see what i'm saying, thats the only problem wit the chinese goverment, so long as you regulate them wit proper health and safety regulations and not to cut corners, the chinese goverment is the best thing to happen to the motherland in terms of investment since slice bread, yes they is, yes surr, ? the system
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jew the jews those damn jews

smh...................
  • musicology1985
    edited September 2010
    Options
    LONDON! wrote: »
    i don't know what this article has to do wit the chinese goverment replacing western goverment investment in africa, because western goverment investment always had hidden, imperialist, population control aka eugenics agenda's behind them, you see what i'm saying, while wit the chinese goverment theirs no fake hypocritical, patronising, undercover evil, hidden agenda, there just 100% bizness men, nuthin more, nuthin less

the only problem you have wit the chinese goverment and i'm talking from experience from having family in z(zambia), where my parents are from and my ethnic origin, from experience from knowing like most human being bizness men, if you don't regulate them properly and don't have a system in place that enforces these type of regulations witout any corruption then most human being bizness men wil cut corners and take the ? to maximise profits and miminize costs, you see what i'm saying, thats the only problem wit the chinese goverment, so long as you regulate them wit proper health and safety regulations and not to cut corners, the chinese goverment is the best thing to happen to the motherland in terms of investment since slice bread, yes they is, yes surr, ? the system

Good post. The Chinese will only help those who help themselves but they don't have a history of ulterior diabolical motives like you know who.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Musicology is right. Busayo's Tom ass is right, also. Africa has plenty smart leaders they are just not loyal enough to their citizens.

Until Africa leaders start taking the necessary steps to a)invest in people, who will help them build infrastructure b) value independence over quick money, and c) recognize the European, Arab, and Asian are only their to benefit from the relationship more than you, you will always be the ? of the eastern hemisphere.

They will only respect us to the degree we respect ourselves. Some African nations are being punked by threats of European aid being revoked and because the elites are only interested in their well being they capitulate.

Business is warfare. And everybody is your enemy. If you don't understand that you lost before you started.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The Chinese are ambitious and are only concerned for themselves. They have an agenda and it is to dominate and expand. They do not care about the African, past their ability to extract.

Castro and Cuba, have been the only socialist nation to show any genuine concern for African without ulterior motives.
  • LONDON!
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Good post. The Chinese will only help those who help themselves but they don't have a history of ulterior diabolical motives like you know who.

exactly, the chinese goverment don't have no funny uterior motive's, they just want to make money, there 100% biznessmen, straight down the line

@and step
    i only agree wit you on the fact that castro and che guevara had genuine empathy and revolutionary solidarity between our people during the struggle against colonialism during the cold war, because we're all brothers and sisters, they were on the same wavelength when it came to that ? , especially againgst the system

other than that, i don't agree wit what your saying, other than points a & b on african leaders, the chinese goverment dosen't come wit phony ? about democracy or pretending to be sumthin there not, they ain't on no revolutionary ? , there 100% bizness men, if you regulate human being bizness men properly, then you will have no problems, it ain't that complex
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    LONDON! wrote: »
    exactly, the chinese goverment don't have no funny uterior motive's, they just want to make money, there 100% biznessmen, straight down the line

@and step
    i only agree wit you on the fact that castro and che guevara had genuine empathy and revolutionary solidarity between our people during the struggle against colonialism during the cold war, because we're all brothers and sisters, they were on the same wavelength when it came to that ? , especially againgst the system

other than that, i don't agree wit what your saying, other than points a & b on african leaders, the chinese goverment dosen't come wit phony ? about democracy or pretending to be sumthin there not, they ain't on no revolutionary ? , there 100% bizness men, if you regulate human being bizness men properly, then you will have no problems, it ain't that complex

I don't think we are disagreeing. As a business man you are always looking to benefit more than the next man. I don't have a problem with that because I know how the game is played. That is the nature of business. Business is warfare.

The Chinese can do what they do, we just need to do what we can do.
  • LONDON!
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    I don't think we are disagreeing. As a business man you are always looking to benefit more than the next man. I don't have a problem with that because I know how the game is played. That is the nature of business. Business is warfare.

The Chinese can do what they do, we just need to do what we can do.

no question fam, but me personally i ain't a revolutionary, i'm a bizness man, but a bizness man for the cause, to get my goals accomplished, which is to better my position, take care of my famo and get my pan africanist projects off the ground to counter-act the systems tactics and benefit all my human beings of african descent all over the african dispora, from africa, to carribean, to south and central america, to the dispora from these places in the west, uk, france, holland, portugal, usa, canada and so on and so on, you see what i'm saying cuzzy, you get me

its just i understand most basic human being nature and overstand that money rules everything around us, but it don't rule me, its just a tool to get my goals accomplished like i've sated before, because money is paper and paper is made from tree, its man made, i don't worship tree's and anything man makes will never be perfect, because man ain't perfect, human beings ain't perfect, so if you put em on a pedestal as some sort of demi-? status, human beings or man made things will always fail you, true story
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Musicology is right. Busayo's Tom ass is right, also. Africa has plenty smart leaders they are just not loyal enough to their citizens.

Until Africa leaders start taking the necessary steps to a)invest in people, who will help them build infrastructure b) value independence over quick money, and c) recognize the European, Arab, and Asian are only their to benefit from the relationship more than you, you will always be the ? of the eastern hemisphere.

They will only respect us to the degree we respect ourselves. Some African nations are being punked by threats of European aid being revoked and because the elites are only interested in their well being they capitulate.

Business is warfare. And everybody is your enemy. If you don't understand that you lost before you started.

umm some african leaders are Arabs. those arabs causing hell in sudan are dark skinned. you also seem to ignore the thing called regulation
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The Chinese are ambitious and are only concerned for themselves. They have an agenda and it is to dominate and expand. They do not care about the African, past their ability to extract.

Hey, just like the Europeans.

Except there's a Billion of em.