Options
2»

Comments

• tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    bstunna wrote: »
    Yeah but in this instance...Ain't no poor white people moving in to Harlem. We talking bout People with money, and they happend to be white. And they building Starbucks and all types of ? so it ain't a hood either. It's nice.

On a side note that got me thinking....I don't know of poor white people in the city...word, i know poor white people upstate NY, Some in Bayridge BK. But not Manhatten

Na.........they hoods is diffenrt From ours............Go to Stops like Morris Park, Bensonhusrt, Stops Like that............Does it Really look Run down like where the brothas is livin???
  • tri3w
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yeah you right about that! ? done changed, They took pretty much all downtown Harlem.

yea, they used to be sacred to cross 116th..........hell for good reason, I dont think a lot of White woulda made it in harlem when i was goin to school there
  • bstunna
    bstunna Members Posts: 27
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Na.........they hoods is diffenrt From ours............Go to Stops like Morris Park, Bensonhusrt, Stops Like that............Does it Really look Run down like where the brothas is livin???

Morris Park in the Bronx? It's hood over there, lol? But it still ain't Manhatten.
  • bstunna
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yea, they used to be sacred to cross 116th..........hell for good reason, I dont think a lot of White woulda made it in harlem when i was goin to school there

Word, you couldn't go to Morningside park after dark. 110th and up was crazy.
  • tri3w
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Morris Park in the Bronx? It's hood over there, lol? But it still ain't Manhatten.

lol na homie...........i live around there..........it aint Hood there.......just a bunch of ? actin Silly.........
  • bstunna
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol na homie...........i live around there..........it aint Hood there.......just a bunch of ? actin Silly.........

No doubt, bc where I'm from when the women talk about getting out the hood and moving to a nice place, that's one place they always mention. Morris Park, Bedford, and Pelham.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mase aka Pastor who got caught wit da boy
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Immortal Technique, Diddy, Pac, Azealia Banks
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U absolutely right , Harlem set the trends for hip hop period, home of the bars
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We don't produce enough artist
  • _God_
    Options
    Harlem the home of battle rap got mad ? who got bars

A mafia
    Jr writer
    Charlie clips
    Loaded lux
    G dep (even tho he really from the X well give him to yall
    Dave east
    Black rob

These are supreme legendary spitters
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live in Harlem and people just seem to care about trendy ? . Like future or whoever is hot at the mkment
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dougie Fresh is from Harlem.

I could write an essay right now but I'll try to keep it brief.

Back in the old school (73-83), there were two Hip Hop scenes, the outdoor block party scene in The Bronx where the DJs would plug their sounds system into a lamppost. This was going on mostly in The Bronx. It was an all ages affair and you'd see people from 8-80 at these park jams. The DJs would mix records and the MCs would talk over the music. They'd go on all night, literally until the break of dawn. Some of the more popular Bronx DJs were Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Africa Bambaattaa, DJ Breakout, Baron and even Disco King Mario(RIP). (Disco King Mario once loaned his sound system to Africa Bambaattaa so its generally accepted that Disco King Mario was before Bambaattaa)

The Bronx DJs were anti-disco. They'd play a song like Apache to get the crowd moving. That was considered the Hip Hop National Anthem before Rappers Delight came out. Other popular songs that Bronx DJs would play are;

Apache - Michael Irwin's Incredible Bongo Band
    The Mexican - Babe Ruth
    Its Just Begun - The Jimmy Castor Bunch
    Give It Up Or Turn It Loose (Live) - James Brown
    Scorpio - Dennis Coffey
    Take Me To The Mardi Gras - Bob James

Then there was the Harlem scene. In Harlem, it was more of a nightclub scene. It was 18+ or sometimes you had to be 21. The guys wore slacks and shoes and the girls wore dresses. In the Harlem scene, there wasn't an MC per se, it was more of the DJ doing call and response routines. The DJ might say , "If it ain't too hot and not to warm/hot butter on what say what..." and those in the know would say, "Popcorn!!!".

or, "If you ain't too skinny and not too fat somebody say and you know that" and the crowd would say, "And You know that!!!"

As far as the music the Harlem DJs would play whatever was hot. Kool Moe Dee tells a story that the first time he saw Grandmaster Flash spin, Lovebug Starski was on the bill that night and Lovebug Starski had just got finished doing a Michael Jackson routine before Grandmaster Flash came on.

So in Harlem the DJ would extend the breakdown part of a record and do a call and response routine whereas in The Bronx, The DJ would spin breaks all night and the MCs would go on and on and on all night. Some of the more famous Harlem DJs were DJ Hollywood, Lovebug Starski, Eddie Cheeba, DJ Plummer and Maboya.

Also, in Harlem there wasn't much of a B-Boy/Breakdance element. Cats weren't trying to get down on the floor and make a fool of themselves in slacks and a button down shirt. That was more of a jeans and sneakers Bronx thing.

If you listen to the tapes, the earlier tapes from The Bronx they go on for a whole tape. It would be a 90 minute tape, both sides with the MCs just passing the mic around while the DJ is killing it mixing breaks. But that style didn't fly in Harlem. If you notice, shows like The 1981 Christmas Rapper's Convention or Fantastic Vs Cold Crush, the routines got much shorter. They'd shorten their routines down to 5 or 10 minutes.

So those were the two basic styles; The Bronx style which was much looser. It would be outdoors, plug the system into a lamppost and the MCs would go on and on and on. Or the Harlem style where they tightened up their routines and put on a show. They'd be on and off the stage in 10 minutes.

There were other DJs in that era like Grandmaster Flowers from Brooklyn or Pete DJ Jones who played in lower Manhattan, but they weren't Hip Hop DJs, they just played whatever was hot and blended the records together. Also Infinity Machine from Queens.

Anyway, here's an article that goes into it a little deeper

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2009/03/30/dj-eddie-cheeba-dj-hollywood-the-disco-side-of-hip-hop/
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Back in the old school (73-83), there were two Hip Hop scenes, the outdoor block party scene in The Bronx where the DJs would plug their sounds system into a lamppost. This was going on mostly in The Bronx. It was an all ages affair and you'd see people from 8-80 at these park jams. The DJs would mix records and the MCs would talk over the music. They'd go on all night, literally until the break of dawn. Some of the more popular Bronx DJs were Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Africa Bambaattaa, DJ Breakout, Baron and even Disco King Mario(RIP). (Disco King Mario once loaned his sound system to Africa Bambaattaa so its generally accepted that Disco King Mario was before Bambaattaa)

The Bronx DJs were anti-disco. They'd play a song like Apache to get the crowd moving. That was considered the Hip Hop National Anthem before Rappers Delight came out. Other popular songs that Bronx DJs would play are;

The Mexican - Babe Ruth
    Scorpio - Dennis Coffey

Then there was the Harlem scene. In Harlem, it was more of a nightclub scene. It was 18+ or sometimes you had to be 21. The guys wore slacks and shoes and the girls wore dresses. In the Harlem scene, there wasn't an MC per se, it was more of the DJ doing call and response routines. The DJ might say , "If it ain't too hot and not to warm/hot butter on what say what..." and those in the know would say, "Popcorn!!!".

or, "If you ain't too skinny and not too fat somebody say and you know that" and the crowd would say, "And You know that!!!"

As far as the music the Harlem DJs would play whatever was hot. Kool Moe Dee tells a story that the first time he saw Grandmaster Flash spin, Lovebug Starski was on the bill that night and Lovebug Starski had just got finished doing a Michael Jackson routine before Grandmaster Flash came on.

So in Harlem the DJ would extend the breakdown part of a record and do a call and response routine whereas in The Bronx, The DJ would spin breaks all night and the MCs would go on and on and on all night. Some of the more famous Harlem DJs were DJ Hollywood, Lovebug Starski, Eddie Cheeba, DJ Plummer and Maboya.

Also, in Harlem there wasn't much of a B-Boy/Breakdance element. Cats weren't trying to get down on the floor and make a fool of themselves in slacks and a button down shirt. That was more of a jeans and sneakers Bronx thing.

If you listen to the tapes, the earlier tapes from The Bronx they go on for a whole tape. It would be a 90 minute tape, both sides with the MCs just passing the mic around while the DJ is killing it mixing breaks. But that style didn't fly in Harlem. If you notice, shows like The 1981 Christmas Rapper's Convention or Fantastic Vs Cold Crush, the routines got much shorter. They'd shorten their routines down to 5 or 10 minutes.

So those were the two basic styles; The Bronx style which was much looser. It would be outdoors, plug the system into a lamppost and the MCs would go on and on and on. Or the Harlem style where they tightened up their routines and put on a show. They'd be on and off the stage in 10 minutes.

There were other DJs in that era like Grandmaster Flowers from Brooklyn or Pete DJ Jones who played in lower Manhattan, but they weren't Hip Hop DJs, they just played whatever was hot and blended the records together. Also Infinity Machine from Queens.

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2009/03/30/dj-eddie-cheeba-dj-hollywood-the-disco-side-of-hip-hop/

Didt read
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

The Mexican - Babe Ruth
    Scorpio - Dennis Coffey

Good read. You can tell from the culture, Bronx was more outside in the street while Harlem was always a city within a city so it was bright, flashy, tons of money etc.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »

A mafia
    Jr writer
    Charlie clips
    Loaded lux
    Dave east
    Black rob

handful of ? how many years???
  • _God_
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »

A mafia
    Jr writer
    Charlie clips
    Loaded lux
    Dave east
    Black rob

handful of ? how many years???

I ain't even mention Biggavel, or dougie fresh, but I was giving a sample of long list
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem, USA...
  • FutureHendrix
    FutureHendrix Members Posts: 31
    Options
    I remember when i made this thread. This era of the I.C. was so good

Best era of the I.C.

Plus it was actually crackin then

Big up to Harlem it goes way deeper than just rap culturally, influence wise Harlem is special
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IN RETROSPECT...
    HARLEM IS ASS...