Why is there such a disconnect between Trey Songz hype and his album sales?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
The way some of these fans and industry people talk, you would swear this dude is the biggest artist in the world and a platinum, but dudes biggest album topped off around 700,000 plus. I saw his projected first week sales and it says he is on pace for 220,000 first week, those numbers are cool i guess but for the hype he receives that aint much. You got ? like Usher who stays putting out platinum album and Chris Brown who is getting his fanbase back, who puts out better music and sell more albums.

Comments

• D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i felt the same way.
    ppl act like he the king of r&b
    but his performances are wack and his album sales are always slackin
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ol rick ross ass ? it wasn't long ago i was hearing Teflon Don was the album of the year
  • usmarin3
    edited September 2010
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »
    i felt the same way.
    ppl act like he the king of r&b
    but his performances are wack and his album sales are always slackin

Yeah, dude is a terrible performer, he doesn't even sing all the way through. He sings bits and pieces of the song, stick the mic out to the audience and have them sing the rest. Dude is getting by on studio magic and sex appeal imo, atleast if you are not gonna be a great singer be a great performer, he is neither. Yodeling his songs and half assing his ?
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    imo dudes target audience is young people and young people dont buy albums for ?
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Like drake

The quality of the album isn't matching the hype
  • usmarin3
    edited September 2010
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    Like drake

The quality of the album isn't matching the hype

cosign, add Nicki Minaj to that list too. They are tryna promote her like she is Lady Gaga but i guarantee you she won't do too much when it's all said and done. The music business is so much hype now!
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ion know wat kinda hype u talkin bout doggy...

bruh just dropped the single like 2 weeks ago...

i was expecting round 150k projected real talk...

i guess he still got hype from say ahh...
  • usmarin3
    edited September 2010
    Options

I was flipping through the tv yesterday and he was on 106 and Park. They gave dude the last 30 minutes of the show, had all these celebs (Puff,Serena,Amare,Luda,Nicki,etc) call in or come through bigging him up and talking about he is the only artist putting out real r and b as oppose to putting out Will I Am house/techno sounding music.
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    imo dudes target audience is young people and young people dont buy albums for ?

YUP^^^

People don't support the artist in his demographic... they are broke
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    cosign, add Nicki Minaj to that list too. They are tryna promote her like she is Lady Gaga but i guarantee you she won't do too much when it's all said and done. The music business is so much hype now!

True

Unfortunately, that doesn't translate to album sales

Like, cats were acting like drake was going to be the savior of rap, then you listen to his debut and think

'damn I could of had a V8'

And trey is the same way

I listen to the mixtapes, and it sounds like he could do something great

Then I listen to album and think what happened
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I was flipping through the tv yesterday and he was on 106 and Park. They gave dude the last 30 minutes of the show, had all these celebs (Puff,Serena,Amare,Luda,Nicki,etc) call in or come through bigging him up and talking about he is the only artist putting out real r and b as oppose to putting out Will I Am house/techno sounding music.

that did also catch me off guard...but im thinkin kevin liles prolly set that up for him...

but if u ask me, the hype actually is close to the sales imo, i mean ive never seen him hyped up to the level of usher or even drake yet...

now the music..ion know, havent heard it yet, but cant be friends and love faces is nice...
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Anticipation>Ready

haven't heard P.P.P yet
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He just aint that good point blank. In R&B and Soul music you have to make music that connects with fans. People already view Trey as a dude that makes throw away music . Meaning that his music is only good for the club or his single is hot for a time being , but years from now people really arent going to listen to his old albums as if they are brand new.( ie Baduism or Song in They Key Of Life , Urban Hang Suite, I Want You etc ) Also you have to be able to perform live and we can all agree that he is a average performer at best. There is limited musicianship and instrumentation in his music . Savvy Music fans wont support it . But the album is Good not great .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Threadstarter sounds a lil salty lol
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • M.A.D.E.
    M.A.D.E. Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Its simple.. All his new music caters to birds, chickenheads, etc.. And they dont buy albums..
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »

there it is. even thought 220k is awesome for him.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options

Bottoms Up aka Say Ahh Pt. 2 has been out for more than 2 weeks...that song has been out for a little while now...but to answer the USMarine's question it's because Trey Songz is marketing his music to teenage girls and they don't buy albums they download ? ...grown women buy albums and even some grown women I know are getting tired of Trey Songz making the same song over and over again
  • downbottom504
    downbottom504 Members Posts: 89
    edited September 2010
    Options
    damn ya'll must dnt listin to the same albums i have........ready was very versitile it gav u all aspects of r&b and p.p.p isnt as commercial wit only one club joint really "bottoms up" which i dnt like........
    i seen dude at h.o.b. & essence fest and kid can sing, ive seen maxwell, john legend, mary j, tank, jus to name a few and songz definiately has a hella of a voice so idk wer this wack perfomance stuff comin from....
    i think 230 is pretty damn good in this climate today and he jus started catchin steam on the tailend of ready's span................everybody has ther preference but to say his music is geared to teenage girls i have to totally disagree
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    damn ya'll must dnt listin to the same albums i have........ready was very versitile it gav u all aspects of r&b and p.p.p isnt as commercial wit only one club joint really "bottoms up" which i dnt like........
    i seen dude at h.o.b. & essence fest and kid can sing, ive seen maxwell, john legend, mary j, tank, jus to name a few and songz definiately has a hella of a voice so idk wer this wack perfomance stuff comin from....
    i think 230 is pretty damn good in this climate today and he jus started catchin steam on the tailend of ready's span................everybody has ther preference but to say his music is geared to teenage girls i have to totally disagree

his music is geared to teenage girls...he's going after that 106 & Park crowd or else he wouldn't call himself stuff like "Mr. Steal Your Girl"...only teenage girls would find ? like that appealing lol...Trey Songz is talented but he's being marketed to women between the ages of 15-21 really...
  • downbottom504
    downbottom504 Members Posts: 89
    edited September 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    his music is geared to teenage girls...he's going after that 106 & Park crowd or else he wouldn't call himself stuff like "Mr. Steal Your Girl"...only teenage girls would find ? like that appealing lol...Trey Songz is talented but he's being marketed to women between the ages of 15-21 really...

i guess if thats ur logic then rkelly was targeting himself to pre k girls callin himself the pied piper? everyone uses some type of tag............i judge off album content and if u listin to dudes album i cant see how u say thats the
    crowd he's goin for? yea he does hav some runchy content but, ? dude is still 25 i mean damn u tellin me wen u wer 25 u wernt gettin it in?
    dude is a very solid artist i think alotta people jus hate dude cuz the rkelly ? but, those same people wer bumpin feelin on ur ? and how old was kellz wen he dropped that? and alotta youth was on that....so stop
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah, dude is a terrible performer, he doesn't even sing all the way through. He sings bits and pieces of the song, stick the mic out to the audience and have them sing the rest. Dude is getting by on studio magic and sex appeal imo, atleast if you are not gonna be a great singer be a great performer, he is neither. Yodeling his songs and half assing his ?

i remember watchin an episode of his bet documentary, and he was performin say ahh. his voice was "tired" so he started rappin the song. the crowd was lookin at each other like "wtf is he doing???"
  • red_ahh
    red_ahh Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i agree with the OP. as many people that claim to love treys albums and claim to be his fans..he should be a multi-platinum artist by now. he has more twitter followers than he do album sales.

and its because the teenage girls just wanna see him take his shirt off so they can see his bird chest. they are not trying to hear him struggle to sing. his show on B.E.T. even flopped.

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2010/08/exclusive-trey-songz-reality-show-ratings-disaster/

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    People have unbelievable expectations when it comes to sales these days. What type of sales would be him matching the hype? Seriously, what R&B artist these days is multi-platinum. Not even Usher is going multi-platinum. Alicia's last album isn't even multi-platinum. Beyonce was the last multi-platinum R&B artist and even she had at least 4+ singles not counting the deluxe edition that she released. That was nearly two years ago.

If Trey Songz does 230+ next week, his numbers would be the biggest opening week since Usher for an R&B artist. That's huge considering Usher has a bigger fanbase.

I haven't heard the new album, but Trey Songz is a legitimate singer. "Can't Help But Wait" and "Gotta Make It" are my favorite songs of his. Ron Isley has him on his album and Aretha Franklin appeared on one of Trey's albums. Having a co-sign from two greats of their caliber is huge.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm ? with Trey's new album i like it. minus a few tracks its a good album.