Gomorrah

Options
Ounceman
Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
i want to call attention to one of the best movies to come out in 2008. and it goes by the name of gomorrah. its directed by newcomer italian filmmaker matteo garrone. and martin scorsese later attached his name to it to gain a wider following in the states. the story follows the comorrah crime family in naples italy. but dont worry, this isnt your typical, cliched, gangster narrative. as it seems to have more in common with italian neorealism than it does with sensationalized mob movies like the godfather. it contains 5 seperate stories of people throughout all facets of life who are affected by crime syndicates. everybody from the poor underclass to the wealthy elite. what i love so much about this film is that it avoids the conventional hollywood glitz and glamour of the gangster-mob genre in favor of a more documentary-styled, brutal, gritty direction. in fact, many critics draw parallels of this movie and the acclaimed tv show "the wire" because of its convoluted, labyrinth like storytelling. no cheap thrills here. u definately have to pay attention to the storyline. and without giving too much of the story away, there arent many happy endings either. crime definately does pay in this movie. and it pays a dear price at times. so to the ones who have not seen it yet, what are u waiting for? check this out and dive deep into the underworld of naples and the comorrah. this is also based on a non-fiction book might i add.

Comments