Does DVR affect TV ratings?

Options
sdca
sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Probably a silly question...

I was just curious though, if shows could be affected by low ratings, due to ppl using DVR, TiVo...
Or does it still count as viewership

How often do you use it? I hardly ever watch live television anymore.

Comments

• thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sdca wrote: »
    Probably a silly question...

I was just curious though, if shows could be affected by low ratings, due to ppl using DVR, TiVo...
    Or does it still count as viewership

How often do you use it? I hardly ever watch live television anymore.

Simple answer is yes. There are new ways though where what you watch on the DVR is counted in the ratings, as long as you watch it 7 days or sooner before it initially aired. If you don't have a nielsen box in your house though, it doesn't matter.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Nielsen isn't as outdated as they once were

Nielsen ratings aren't an accurate measure of viewership though. Their ratings are based on a sample of the population who have Nielsen boxes. So they count what a few people watch and then assume the rest of us agree smfh

r.i.p King of Queens

I'm a DVR guy though and there is lots of personal satisfaction of fast forwarding though all those damn commercials. I'm pretty sure advertisers are aware of this issue and are going to be looking for more and more alternatives to catch the viewers eye. The only exceptions of live TV I watch are the news during some crisis/special event and sports. Everything else I just record for time saving purposes
  • sdca
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I didn’t know about that 7 days thing. I usually record up to like 3 eps, and watch them all on the same day. Do you think whats actually being recorded should be taken into consideration?

I’m a little confused about this Nielsen rating. Basically, just a single household with a Nielsen box can represent what an entire community is watching? That’s horrible lol. What an unreliable system, a few thousand vs. Millions!????

There’s different ways people are watching shows now. DVR is big, then the internet and streaming…

ckfree, I never really thought about the advertising! I wonder what execs plan to do about ppl skipping commericals.
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The Nielsen system is far from perfect, but it has basically been the standard for years in measuring ratings. I would visit their site if you want to know exactly how it works. Advertisers definitely don't like people skipping commercials, one of the things they do is when watching a show on the internet they always have the same ad for 20 seconds you have to watch.
  • kakihara
    kakihara Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I always wondered that. I hardly watch live televsion because I hate sitting through commericials. Only time I don't watch live tv is pretty much if I catch the news or watching sports.
  • ckfree
    edited September 2010
    Options
    for real, their sample pool seems extremely small to me

Nielsen supposedly contacts random people in their test market to ask for volunteers to participate in the survey, but I've been watching T.V since before there were remotes and I've known a lot of people in several states who have been watching T.V since before T.V's were broadcasting in color. So unless the Nielsen family members are sworn to secrecy on some protective custody ? , I have never met anyone who's ever been a Nielsen family member

and one thing I do know is that Nielsen reports information about viewers. Such as age, income and gender etc. Which leads me to believe they don't even want to reach the largest number of people possible(probably why a lot of good shows get canceled), they want to reach the people who are the most likely to buy their investors products

you just know these advertisers are thinking up some ? similar to what they have done to youtube videos lol

espn_new_graphic.jpg

^Watch these advertisers run something like ESPN where they can product placement all over the screen during the shows you recorded

smh
  • sdca
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »

you just know these advertisers are thinking up some ? similar to what they have done to youtube videos lol

espn_new_graphic.jpg

^Watch these advertisers run something like ESPN where they can product placement all over the screen during the shows you recorded

smh

NOOO!! That would be brutal lol. Then everyone would just use netflix
    but that's actually a good idea..for the advertisers

I wanna be selected to use the Nielsen box...
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »

espn_new_graphic.jpg

smh

I can see something like that happening, they are already going overboard with product placement by advertising their products in the shows we watch. They have even went as far as to add them into video games as of late
  • ckfree
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sdca wrote: »
    NOOO!! That would be brutal lol. Then everyone would just use netflix
    but that's actually a good idea..for the advertisers

I wanna be selected to use the Nielsen box...

it depends on the ratings you participate in. I've read where some receive a log to keep track of all TV shows for a week. And then you got the one where they install the TV box that automates the process. There is no way to volunteer though. You must be chosen at 'random', so they say

the thing I hate most about commercials is when you just sitting there minding your own business waiting for the news to come back on and you have the volume set so you don't bother others who are sleeping. Then all of a sudden its like someone put the volume on full blast where you got some dude telling you to buy a Subaru smh

by the way, strike up another victory for us Americans and our obsessive preoccupation with pretty much everything that doesn't matter at all lol
  • ckfree
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sapo614 wrote: »
    I can see something like that happening, they are already going overboard with product placement by advertising their products in the shows we watch. They have even went as far as to add them into video games as of late

word

they are everywhere. There were a lot of pop-up ads on the internet that used to annoy me. Then I switched to firefox and no more pop ups

I sometimes do catch myself watching infomercials though. Some of the products defy imagination, though once you see them, they make perfect sense