The real reason why "james" left good times ... Sad ?

Options
Serious Juice Mayne
Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Almost from the premiere episode, J.J., an aspiring artist, was the public's favorite character on the show and his frequently-invoked catch phrase "Dy-no-mite" became very popular. As the series progressed through its second and third year Rolle and Amos, who played the Evans parents, grew increasingly disillusioned with the direction the show was taking as J.J.'s antics and stereotypically buffoonish behavior took precedence in the storylines. Rolle was rather vocal about disliking the character of J.J. in a 1975 interview with Ebony magazine.

"He's eighteen and he doesn't work. He can't read or write. He doesn't think. The show didn't start out to be that...Little by little—with the help of the artist, I suppose, because they couldn't do that to me—they have made J.J. more stupid and enlarged the role. Negative images have been slipped in on us through the character of the oldest child."[1]

Although doing so less publicly, Amos also was outspoken about his dissatisfaction with J.J.'s character. The ill feelings came to a head when it came time to negotiate Amos' contract in the summer of 1976, and he was dismissed from the series.

"The writers would prefer to put a chicken hat on J.J. and have him prance around saying "DY-NO-MITE", and that way they could waste a few minutes and not have to write meaningful dialogue."

DAMN ... JAMES CALLED THEM ? OUT ON THE JJ COONERY

Comments

• Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    surprisingly powerful thread
  • BootyButterPi
    BootyButterPi Members Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i dont know about yall, but when i read the ester rolle quote, i heard her voice.

but Amos is black royalty. he played Kunta. And he was in the Players club.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Damn this is a great thread. I never really watched Good Times like that but that's interesting to see him take a stand against those Jew producers trying to turn the show into something he didn't stand for.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah I been knew bout this.I didn't know JJ couldn't read or write.IDK bout that?
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I wonder what jimmy walkerr had to say about his role ...

But damn ... James and ester wasnt havin that coonery ? ... Thats some real ? ?
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ... THE DUDE THAT PLAYED "MONTY" ON THE SHOW WAS THE ORIGINAL "STYME" FROM THE 1920s MOVIE "OUR GANG" AND IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT "OUR GANG" WAS ... YOU DONT KNOW BLACK HISTORY ... ANYWAYS ... THATS SOME MUTHAFUCKIN IRONY FOR THAT ASS
  • KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah i heard they wanted to start the show off with just her and the kids and she said no. she wanted to have a husband role on the show also and wasnt gonna do it if there wasnt.
  • dmfslimm
    dmfslimm Members Posts: 415
    edited September 2010
    Options
    props on this thread. i knew about this too. i know one thing, word is you better not ask jimmie walker to say di-no-mite these days. you bound to catch a 2 piece. fun fact: jimmie walker ended up have a radio show on the level of a rush linbaugh. not sure if its still on or not. and i believe it was in nebraska.
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jimmie 2 piecin ? ? he wouldnt 2 piece maaaadd dooooog
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yea that sounds about right to be honest. I love that dam show. It was ? up when James died off though. He just finally got a real job. i was ? on with Rosewood when they shot Ester rolle
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I never got into Good Times...J J was always annoying as hell to me.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i've noticed that with recent shows as well

Cole was 200% dumber in the final episodes of Martin than he was when the series first started
    Marlon Wayons was OTT extra coonish and unfunny towards the end of that show compared to the first season
    The kids on "My wife and kids"...i don't even know wtf to say about them

these were all characters that were goofy to start but ended up being the kings of coonery in the end...that's usually when you know a show has jumped the shark
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    edited September 2010
    Options

Cole was 200% dumber in the final episodes of Martin than he was when the series first started
    Marlon Wayons was OTT extra coonish and unfunny towards the end of that show compared to the first season

these were all characters that were goofy to start but ended up being the kings of coonery in the end...that's usually when you know a show has jumped the shark
    dont forget cedric on the steve harvey show ... him and the chick was the king of ? by the end of that ?
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It seems we can’t have a black television show without it being comedy? Even the Cosby Show and A Different World had comedic overtones.
  • trie
    trie Members Posts: 73
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That Damn J.J. Evans
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    what most people don't realize is Esther Rolle left the show for a whole season because of the same ? .
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

I know this isn't black programming but what about Eric on Boy Meets World becoming straight ? too?
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's unfortunate but coonery gets the ratings
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Honestly after James died off i kinda stopped watching...and i didnt know JJ couldnt read or write
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? same thing happend with family matters.

it was originally suppossed to be about family issues. hence the name.

then urkel got crazy popular then they started traveling back in time, shrinking and all sorts of sci fi coonery
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? same thing happend with family matters.

it was originally suppossed to be about family issues. hence the name.

then urkel got crazy popular then they started traveling back in time, shrinking and all sorts of sci fi coonery

^^^^True Story. Urkel was only supposed to be around for a couple episodes.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah..already knew about this, but it's good a thread was made to let peeps know what's up and how the entertainment biz has always tried to destroy the black image on television..
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    T-Rel wrote: »
    Honestly after James died off i kinda stopped watching...and i didnt know JJ couldnt read or write

Me too. James was the reason why I watch this show.

I already know about this when my pop told me why James left the show.
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Interesting, never thought about that.....and also Fresh Prince when the first started Carlton was smart and acting normal til the end, he's acting dumb and acting fool.