Lawsuit: Atlanta pastor coerced males into sex

Options
Fazeem_Blackall
Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
ATLANTA — Two men have filed a lawsuit accusing Bishop Eddie Long of exploiting his role as pastor of an Atlanta-area megachurch to coerce them into sexual relationships when they were young members of his congregation.
Lawyers for the men, now 20 and 21, say they filed the lawsuit on Tuesday. The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they were victims of sexual impropriety.
Craig Gillen, Long's attorney, said Tuesday the pastor "categorically denies the allegations."
"We find it unfortunate that these two young men would take this course of action," Gillen said, adding that Long had not yet been served with copies of the lawsuits.
The men were 17- and 18-year-old members of Long's New Birth Missionary Baptist Church when they say Long abused his spiritual authority to seduce them with with cars, money, clothes, jewelry, international trips and access to celebrities.
B.J. Bernstein, an attorney representing the plaintiffs, said that when the relationships started, the plaintiffs were past the legal age of consent in Georgia, which is 15.
"Defendant Long has utilized his spiritual authority to coerce certain young male members ... into engaging in sexual acts and relationships for his own personal sexual grafitication," the lawsuits read.
When asked about a possible motive for the accusations, Gillen referred to a break-in at Long's office in June.

Bergstein said one of the plaintiffs is facing a criminal burglary charge in the incident. She said the break-in was a way of lashing out at Long.
Bernstein said she contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office earlier this month when she became aware of the young men's allegations. She did not know what action, if any, the agency planned to take.
“It’s not just these two. There are young men around him at all times,” Bernstein told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “There are kids at risk now.”
Bernstein told the newspaper she has not contacted local law enforcement because of Long’s ties to DeKalb County officials.
Orzy Theus, a spokesman for the district attorney's office, said she was not aware on Tuesday of an investigation in that office related to the allegations.
Long was appointed pastor of New Birth in 1987. Then, the church had about 150 members. Less than four years later, the church had grown to more than 8,000 members. Athletes and entertainers claim membership at the church, and among its prominent clergy is the Rev. Bernice King, the youngest daughter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
Today, New Birth sits on 250 acres and has more than 25,000 members, a $50 million, 10,000-seat cathedral and more than 40 ministries — including the Longfellows Youth Academy, a tuition-based program for young men 13 to 18.
Gotta love the Hypocrisy of some of these Religious people...

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Reason # 7987987978808808 why I don't take religious people seriously.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Religion provides a great cover for warped minded individuals.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    Options
    coerced huh? might as well come out of the closet
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    coerce huh? might has well come out of the closet

Yep. 17 and 18 accepting money, cars, jewelry, and trips? Not saying it's true but if it was, they must be mad he was cutting them off.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Where were their parents when they were going on these trips, getting these expensive material items, and spending some much time with the Pastor or shall I say Bishop?

Ill-parenting or paid off?
  • RoastGod
    RoastGod Banned Users Posts: 71
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Rotflmao
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Brah u no dudes on the i.c aint readin all that break it down
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well Eddie Long is black, and he said he didn't do it.

So of course he won't be talked about and whether he gets convicted of it or not he's innocent because it was white persecutors who set the little black boys up with a story.

Really though, I'm waiting for the trial to go under way and more evidence to be brought out before I make a judgment. Multiple kids though coming out don't look good for him.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why? ? that ? . he just doin whataall the other pastors are doing in private
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well Eddie Long is black, and he said he didn't do it.

So of course he won't be talked about and whether he gets convicted of it or not he's innocent because it was white persecutors who set the little black boys up with a story.

Really though, I'm waiting for the trial to go under way and more evidence to be brought out before I make a judgment. Multiple kids though coming out don't look good for him.

He did do it. Don't call it ? or anything but he truly did have a relationship with those boys and maybe more. He sent them pictures of himself in tights all buffed up. Nothing nude but wtf, why are you sending THOSE pictures as a pastor to boys like that? Funny, one of the biggest people against homosexuality is ? , go figure. Seems to me guilt ran amuck.

I don't even trip though, if he's ? then he's ? . That's his life and his situation with his family and ? .

He's stepped down now I think. If he was strong in faith that he was innocent then he would've stayed and done good. He's even more guilty and has to step down, he knows he is wrong.

He for sure did do it, it's a matter of how it was. Was it ? ? Stuff like that.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    He did do it. Don't call it ? or anything but he truly did have a relationship with those boys and maybe more. He sent them pictures of himself in tights all buffed up. Nothing nude but wtf, why are you sending THOSE pictures as a pastor to boys like that? Funny, one of the biggest people against homosexuality is ? , go figure. Seems to me guilt ran amuck.

I don't even trip though, if he's ? then he's ? . That's his life and his situation with his family and ? .

He's stepped down now I think. If he was strong in faith that he was innocent then he would've stayed and done good. He's even more guilty and has to step down, he knows he is wrong.

I don't think he stepped down. I remember seeing a clip of him still preaching asking everyone to pray for him and his family in these times of lies and sinning.
  • Shyheim
    Shyheim Members Posts: 580
    edited September 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

...He hasn't stepped down. As a matter of fact, he said yesterday that he was going to fight this.

Now I'm just waiting on some 'WWMSD (What Would Muscle Shirt Do?)' bracelets to come out...
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Talk about what? Allegations and he said she said.

How you going to discuss something without facts?

? love gossip and filth.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    What we ain't gon talk bout Bishop Eddie Long?
    well... there was this thread about "Atlanta pastor coerced males into sex"...
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you knew it was a duplicate thread, why didn't it get closed? Like you would have made haste to do, had I created yon duplicate thread?

Learn to exercise your authority, in a less-discriminatory way...lol...and I guarantee you'll sleep even better at night...

Valid point.

Janklow feels uncomfortable when the superiority of white racism is called to the carpet, he wants to believes we are all equal racist. LOL
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I dont know if he did or not, but its definitely not a good look.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yey yey we know, you are major stain's Commander-In-?

Is your rap name 50Tyson?
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Talk about what? Allegations and he said she said.

How you going to discuss something without facts?

? love gossip and filth.

same ? defending Eddie Long were likely the same ? persecuting the Catholic priests when they were being hit with boy-sex lawsuits.

"dat's how dem white men priestesses be like dat... dey all is the ? in the closets and ? ... word to Tupac..."
  • TX_Made713
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Whats up with all these pastors getting a hard on for little kids? especially boys
  • quiet1
    quiet1 Members Posts: 146
    edited September 2010
    Options
    A 10 year old can be tricked these dudes just ? . How the hell can you sue for being a prostitute?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    Whats up with all these pastors getting a hard on for little kids? especially boys

Because religion provides a great cover for deviants.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »

It's just a few.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    It's just a few.

SMH, It's far more than a few.

A few is isolated incidents, the catholic boy ? commission is in deep (no pun), they got cover ups and everything set up.
  • TX_Made713
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the irony of his name eddie long LMAO