Tyler Perry's setting us back some years>

Options
death187sin
death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I was just looking at the trailer to this new movie coming out:

And I was not surprised with the subject matter of it. Typical black woman movie from him that always seems to portray black woman or black people struggling. What's puzzling to me is the amount of black women who flock to the theater to see these ? ass movies. I liked Tyler Perry when he kept it funny but movies like this set us back. IMO.

Comments

• kentuckywildcat
    kentuckywildcat Members Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He gave Ol'Dude from the Old Spice Commerical a Role in his movie too.

Tyler stays making the same kind of Movies....I don't think his last one did to good at the Box Office
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    SMFH I dont expect anything more from him. Its all about the money man!
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He gave Ol'Dude from the Old Spice Commerical a Role in his movie too.

Tyler stays making the same kind of Movies....I don't think his last one did to good at the Box Office

It won't because whites wont go see it. To them it's just another bitter black women movie. Black men aint gonna go see it either for that same reason. Time to switch it up before he gets stuck in the M.Knight Shyamalan zone..
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    how? by getting money?
    you do know this movie was not an original screenplay right?
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    how? by getting money?
    you do know this movie was not an original screenplay right?

Bitter black women^
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I think he set us back with the whole madea character. In the professional world, we try to prove that we're NOT some irrational, illogical, can't be reasoned with person that will fly of the hinges at the first sign that someone disagrees with us. others in the professional world see that ? and take it as truth. it's like they waiting for us to explode so they can be like " I told ya, they're all like that."
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It was a play that was written by a Black woman, so I don't see the problem, only if the adaptation to screen isn't true to the book. I'll remain optimistic about it.

Regardless who wrote the book/play.. That ? should of never made it to the screens. And yes he made some money on it just like other white shows who exploit black people and our ignorance.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the cast is amazing
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the cast is amazing

Yeah.

I'll withhold judgement on this one for now.

Why can't Spike Lee get a cast like this?
  • akforty7
    akforty7 Members Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Tyler Perry does more for the black community than anyone in this thread or forum, so please, ? .

(no offense death :))
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Yeah.

I'll withhold judgement on this one for now.

Why can't Spike Lee get a cast like this?

'cause Spike Lee is busy making good movies like "Inside Man" and actually important documentaries like "When The Levees Broke".
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    BTW, TP "gettin money" has absolutely nathan to do with whether or not he's setting black folks back.

Dope dealers "get money"
    Car thieves "get money"
    The numbers man "gets money"
    Pimps "get money"

just 'cause you're "gettin money" doesn't mean you're not detrimental to the black community on a whole.
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    BTW, TP "gettin money" has absolutely nathan to do with whether or not he's setting black folks back.

Dope dealers "get money"
    Car thieves "get money"
    The numbers man "gets money"
    Pimps "get money"

just 'cause you're "gettin money" doesn't mean you're not detrimental to the black community on a whole.

This ? should be the ? mayor! Standing Ovation!
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    akforty7 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Tyler Perry does more for the black community than anyone in this thread or forum, so please, ? .

None taken gorgeous.. LOL
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    'cause Spike Lee is busy making good movies like "Inside Man" and actually important documentaries like "When The Levees Broke".

Understandable, but most of the non-documentary films he's been working on have been shelved lately (i.e The Joe Louis film he was working on from 2007)
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    thats one movie i wont be seeing....i wanna support our black movies but if this is all thats going to be made which doesnt appeal to the black men or ultimately will cast us in a negative light, then i will not be paying my money to see this
  • TeekasaurusRex
    TeekasaurusRex Members Posts: 17
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I agree...to some degree, maybe, it's true that there's a Black struggle. But what do people of other ethnicities, when they see movies like this, think of us? That we have issues that no amount of government assistance or legal changes can help? That we're whiners who deserve their Higher Power pity? ? that. Not that we need all the welfare we can get, but damn...I don't know...I think this makes us look bad overall.
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I agree...to some degree, maybe, it's true that there's a Black struggle. But what do people of other ethnicities, when they see movies like this, think of us? That we have issues that no amount of government assistance or legal changes can help? That we're whiners who deserve their Higher Power pity? ? that. Not that we need all the welfare we can get, but damn...I don't know...I think this makes us look bad overall.

Is Whoopie doing some kind of black magic in this ? ? Shes pouring chicken blood on this chicks head and speaking in tongues.. lol
  • simplyspeaking
    simplyspeaking Confirm Email Posts: 2,195
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Im only interested in this movie because i want to see how true it is to the original script.
    can't really say i care what non-black people think of black people, tho.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    akforty7 wrote: »

And that makes it all ok. Go Tyler Perry :eek: (sarcasm)

Even though your depiction of a black man is mostly negative and you're cross-dressing character(s) are are mad ? .

News flash: Nobody disagree or have any opinion on anybody you feel does anything ? up because they're doing more for the black community than you.
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

Even though your depiction of a black man is mostly negative and you're cross-dressing character(s) are are mad ? .

News flash: Nobody disagree or have any opinion on anybody you feel does anything ? up because they're doing more for the black community than you.

WTF! Is this Aqua?
  • dmfslimm
    dmfslimm Members Posts: 415
    edited September 2010
    Options
    thats one movie i wont be seeing....i wanna support our black movies but if this is all thats going to be made which doesnt appeal to the black men or ultimately will cast us in a negative light, then i will not be paying my money to see this

thats how i feel too. i mean, can TP give us men something to reflect on or tell our side of the story like the challeges of being a black man in america? he could do a movie about the lives of black men getting killed by these cops. how it is to be a black president in this country. im feeling the cast of this movie, tho.
  • simplyspeaking
    simplyspeaking Confirm Email Posts: 2,195
    edited September 2010
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

i always thought that for every horrible black man in his movies, you had another who was pure perfection.
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    dmfslimm wrote: »
    thats how i feel too. i mean, can TP give us men something to reflect on or tell our side of the story like the challeges of being a black man in america? he could do a movie about the lives of black men getting killed by these cops. how it is to be a black president in this country. im feeling the cast of this movie, tho.

Nobody gives a ? about that ? either.. he should stick to plays and quit wit these boring ass sitcoms and leave the movies up to the real writers and producers.
  • death187sin
    edited September 2010
    Options
    CzySxyCool wrote: »
    to say Tyler Perry is the only one to blame for "setting us back" is a little extreme... think of all the movies that place black folks in a negative light or bafunery (for example The Color Purple...), Tyler Perry can't be the only one to blame.

The writer of the color purple stopped at that movie.. Tyler Perry just keep producing and producing. Kinda like Aquafina and the humanoids she keeps getting aborted.