Recommend a Non-Fiction Book

Options

Comments

• KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Mandelbaum - The Ideas That Conquered the World.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Your obviously not familiar with him then lol
    considering the fact that i have read the probably-largely-fictional book you're mentioning here AND the fact that you have no response to my comments, i am assuming this means "i am upset because you called out my murderous hero on his lies"

sorry, man

lol no it means i cant be assed to argue with someone on the internet over his views on a book, i really dont care what you think... you presented no facts just your opinion... no need to apologize breda
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    lol, yeah im half haitian, i know how the French get down with they're fuckery.

Damn, for sure then.

Check out "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire too, if you haven't already. The French fuckery is on full display there too.
    I haven't read that book yet but you might want to check out "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families" by Philip Gourevitch.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    lol no it means i cant be assed to argue with someone on the internet over his views on a book, i really dont care what you think-
    like i said, "i am upset because you called out my murderous hero on his lies"
    ... you presented no facts just your opinion...
    it's not my opinion that a laundry list of DeMeo crew members who have turned state's evidence in other prosecutions do not mention Kuklinski as an associate OR as having done the things he's claimed to have done. you say he killed Castellano for some reason (i don't recall him claiming that, but a liar is a liar, i guess), i say he'd be the ONLY person to say he was responsible. this is not "opinion."
    bigev240 wrote: »
    I haven't read that book yet but you might want to check out "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families" by Philip Gourevitch.
    good book
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paschal Beverly Randolph: A Nineteenth-Century Black American Spiritualist, Rosicrucian, and Sex Magician (Suny Series, Western Esoteric Traditions) [Paperback]
    John Patrick Deveney (Author)

41PZ1wSmCmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Secret Science by John Baines aka Dario Salas
    Their is a whole series.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    -The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
    -The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
    -Monster by Shanyika Shakur
    -The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
    -Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
    -Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough
    -BMF by Mara Shalhoup
    -Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon
    -Race Rules by Michael Eric Dyson
    -Manufactoring Consent by Noam Chomsky
    -The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    -The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
    -Blood Diamonds by Greg Campbell
    -The Political Economy of Slavery by Eugene Genovese
    -The Assassination of The Black Male Image by Earl Ofari Hutchinson
    -Revolutionary Suicide by Huey Newton
    -The ? In The Making of America by Benjamin Quarles

I would fully support people reading anything by Thomas Paine, Noam Chomsky or Howard Zinn.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got finish reading Denmark Vesey: The Buried Story of America's Largest Slave Rebellion and the Man Who Led It9780679762188.jpg

In a remarkable feat of historical detective work, David Robertson illuminates the shadowy figure who planned a slave rebellion so daring that, if successful, it might have changed the face of the antebellum South. This is the story of a man who, like Nat Turner, Marcus Garvey, and Malcolm X, is a complex yet seminal hero in the history of African American emancipation.

Denmark Vesey was a charasmatic ex-slave--literate, professional, and relatively well-off--who had purchased his own freedom with the winnings from a lottery. Inspired by the success of the revolutionary black republic in Haiti, he persuaded some nine thousand slaves to join him in a revolt. On a June evening in 1822, having gathered guns, and daggers, they were to converge on Charleston, South Carolina, take the city's arsenal, murder the populace, burn the city, and escape by ship to Haiti or Africa. When the uprising was betrayed, Vesey and seventy-seven of his followers were executed, the matter hushed by Charleston's elite for fear of further rebellion. Compelling, informative, and often disturbing, this book is essential to a fuller understanding of the struggle against slavery.

I am now reading A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES by HOWARD ZINN6a48cdb7-fab6-46e5-a749-0d66c2159220
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm currently reading A People's History too. Confessions of An Economic Hitman is after that.
  • NegroNerd
    NegroNerd Members Posts: 1
    Options
    "Hold Love Strong" by Matthew Aaron Goodman
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beyond fear: Miguel angel ruiz
    Communist manifesto: Karl marx

• Lost
    Lost Members Posts: 152
    Options
    The life of pi.
  • elementalP
    elementalP Members Posts: 202
    Options
    Zbigniew Brzezinski: The Grand Chessboard. Finding out a lot of politicians get their advice from tthis dude
  • elementalP
    elementalP Members Posts: 202
    Options
    Reading another book called, Robert Sadler; The True Story of a 20th Century Slave. This one is prettty good
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "No Easy Day" - Mark Owen.. Interesting read..
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was reading Johnny Tapias book, fckn crazy isnt the word, had to stop as its the 3rd depressing book in A row lol But its mental, highly recomend it... I got to 4 chapter and stopped, but will pick it up again after this Teddy Atlas book...

mi-vida-loca-the-crazy-and-unbelievable-life-of-johnny-tapia.jpg

Im reading this now, dope as fck...

fill.jpg
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mein Kempf
    Satanic Bible
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Anacalypsis - The Saitic Isis: Languages Nations and Religions (v. 1 & 2)
    Godfrey Higgins

Ancient Egypt and Black Africa Theophile Obenga

How White Folks Got So Rich: The Untold Story of American White Supremacy
    Reclamation Project

Brain, Mind, and the Structure of Reality
    Paul L. Nunez
  • CrashBeats
    CrashBeats Members Posts: 4
    Options
    Rich dad Poor dad by Robert Kyiosaky
  • melanated khemist
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Crazy cuz I was always so hesitant to read self help books but that book might be one of the best and truest books I've ever read.

Think and Grow Rich is a very good book, but imo Law of Success:The 21st-Century Edition by the same author is better.

Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro isn't bad either.
  • melanated khemist
    Options
    ^^^smart investment.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep coming back to McMafia by Misha Glenny
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Does anybody have links to places I can read any of these books online?