Colts f@ggot GM says: 18 game NFL season "a done deal"

Options
KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14027704/polian-nfl-switch-to-18game-season-is-done-deal

Do not like this.

The NFL is fine as it is right now and doesnt need any changes like this. Usually by December I've had just about enough and get burnt out on football, only to stay interested by the final week and playoffs.

Look at last year, the final 2-3 games for teams like Indy, and New Orleans were basically meaningless. Imagine having 2 more games to play after that for regular season.

They also ? on every record, and putting players at much more risk for injury. I hope Peyton Manning has a career ending injury in a meaningless 18th game of the season.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Why's he gotta be a ? ?

And I don't like the rule either. I mean, I'm glad I get to see two more games a season, but I love the history of the game more and would prefer it stay at 16.
  • EmandWeezy=Goats
    EmandWeezy=Goats Members Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I hope Peyton Manning has a career ending injury in a meaningless 18th game of the season.

Damn what did he do to you?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited September 2010
    Options
    be prepared for more LAZY ass players like the NBA where games mean less.

Right now its perfect at 16 games, every game means something (for competitive teams atleast)

At 18 games per season you gonna see more lazy ? like albert haynesworth, taking plays off, not caring if they win or lose, sitting out more games due to "nagging injuries". Overall it will hurt the overall competitiveness of the league.

you're also gonna see a lot of meaningless games at the end of the season and a bigger gap between the good teams and bad teams records.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Damn what did he do to you?

he a ? ? , throws his Oline under the bus, also has a forehead like elmer fudd. i'm not a fan.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The NFl needs to learn the phrase "if it aint broke dont fix it."

Im all about improvement, but this seems really unnecessary.

lol at the NFl season being 30 games in 20 years.

"The New England patriots are 26-4 this year. Too bad all their players are in wheel chairs though." lol
  • EmandWeezy=Goats
    EmandWeezy=Goats Members Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2010
    Options
    he a ? ? , throws his Oline under the bus, also has a forehead like elmer fudd. i'm not a fan.

Good point.Im not a fan neither but thats not right to say and wouldnt you ? if the people paid to protect you werent doing it, just saying.

And the NFL is doing this ? for one thing and one thing only MONEY.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Records will be broken
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i like more games for selfish reasons. and the records are irrelevant, to an extent, because seasons haven't always been 16 games long, and certainly records didn't hold previous Owners from extending ,nh, the season. and injuries could go both ways. a player gets injured in week 1, he may have to go on IR, but with the extra 2 games and a bye week, he still may be able to recover and suit back up during the season. but i think playoff formatting will have to be revamped, because as it stands now, there wiill be alot of terrible games the final 4 weeks of the season, whereas now its usually just the final 2
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    The NFl needs to learn the phrase "if it aint broke dont fix it."

Im all about improvement, but this seems really unnecessary.

lol at the NFl season being 30 games in 20 years.

"The New England patriots are 26-4 this year. Too bad all their players are in wheel chairs though." lol

smh @ the lions being 6-24
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Again. this 18 season ? defies logic
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Records Will be Broken but not hold as much weight as the previous record, Barely 1,000 Yard Rushing and Recieving seasons wont be impressive......u Playing 18 games and barely scratching 1,000 yards i dont wanna hear how "Elite " a player has become.
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    OJ was running for 1800 yards in a 14 games season....records and stats are what they are...someone's stats is going to have ABSOLUTELY no bearing on extending or shortening a season.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    OJ was running for 1800 yards in a 14 games season....records and stats are what they are...someone's stats is going to have ABSOLUTELY no bearing on extending or shortening a season.

What im saying is the chances of a 2,000 Yard Rusher increases.....u may eventually see 2 or 3 people do it all in one season....u think that would still hold the same weight??

same with 5,000 + Yard Passing .... u could see 2 QB's in the same season Break that record....
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    be prepared for more LAZY ass players like the NBA where games mean less.

Right now its perfect at 16 games, every game means something (for competitive teams atleast)

At 18 games per season you gonna see more lazy ? like albert haynesworth, taking plays off, not caring if they win or lose, sitting out more games due to "nagging injuries". Overall it will hurt the overall competitiveness of the league.

you're also gonna see a lot of meaningless games at the end of the season and a bigger gap between the good teams and bad teams records.

The games will still be competitive. At the end of every season they got those charts for "in the playoffs, in the race, still alive" or whatever it is. Adding two games won't make ? irrelevant. You'll still have teams 1 game out of the playoffs. Comparing an 18 game season to an 82 game season (the NBA) is a huuuuuge stretch. The owners have a good point that they have the power to make the season 18 games too. They own the players for 20 games. They choose to not play the starters much during the pre-season, but that's just by choice. They're just changing 2 meaningless games, to two meaningful games. Well within their rights IMO.

But I agree with you that it should stay at 16 games. Because like someone else said...don't fix it if it aint' broke. And I do sort of enjoy pre-season games to see what kind of talent we have backing up our starters.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    What im saying is the chances of a 2,000 Yard Rusher increases.....u may eventually see 2 or 3 people do it all in one season....u think that would still hold the same weight??

same with 5,000 + Yard Passing .... u could see 2 QB's in the same season Break that record....

that ? at first will be messed up, RBs will be getting 1500 yards a year like its nothing and for 5-6 years it will seem like their great running backs but like the switch to the 16 game season after so long it will calm down and guys rushing for 1500 yards will be like meh, he's a starter for sure but that's it.

I could honestly see a few guys who would have been just good players this decade make the HOF later down the road because of their stats jumping up.
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options

of course it shouldn't. but its going to scew people's idea of certain stats. again with OJ, he had an 1800 yard season in 14 games, but thats never put up there with the CJ, Dickerson, Jamal Lewis seasons because people fail to put the stats into context
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    also no team will ever go undefeated again
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    of course it shouldn't. but its going to scew people's idea of certain stats. again with OJ, he had an 1800 yard season in 14 games, but thats never put up there with the CJ, Dickerson, Jamal Lewis seasons because people fail to put the stats into context

True...thats Why i think Jerry Rice 22 TD's in 12 games are More impressive Than Randy Moss 23 TD in 16 games

hell thats 4 more games....who knows what rice would have put up, we'll never know but thats more impressive to me
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    shadb33 wrote: »
    also no team will ever go undefeated again

mercury morris post
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited September 2010
    Options
    True...thats Why i think Jerry Rice 22 TD's in 12 games are More impressive Than Randy Moss 23 TD in 16 games

hell thats 4 more games....who knows what rice would have put up, we'll never know but thats more impressive to me

can i get a list of the Safties and Corners, as well as the pass rushers the opposing teams had?

sorry but back in Rice's days the defenses werent nearly as athletic as they are now.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    Options
    can i get a list of the Safties and Corners, as well as the pass rushers the opposing teams had?

sorry but back in Rice's days the defenses werent nearly as athletic as they are now.

You're a Patriots fan everyone knows how ride are die you are about them and the wall you would run through for them, so no we wont be having this discussion.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    As far as stats go...just compare them using averages. I don't see the problem with that.

17 week season is enough though. It's not like the league is gonna make the season 20 weeks and give each team two bye weeks lol. 18 games in 19 weeks is overkill.
  • Moment.of.Silence
    Moment.of.Silence Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    GOAT thread title..that is all..
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    smh....don't they read the injury reports that come out of Week ONE? Terrible move.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited September 2010
    Options
    shadb33 wrote: »
    Records will be broken

17 games, 18, Peyton lookin like Elmer Fudd gonna break all the records. How can you not be a fan? The dude is amazing what he does on the field, there is no one better.

Just like Peyton will be looked at as the greatest of all time, the Xbox 360 will go down as roasting the PS3. lol Hahaha

Now I will sit back allow you to call me a bunch of names a 12 year old would use on the playground and laugh.