Notre Dame football: Let us have a discourse on it

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
what the world is going on with one of the most storied, and most overrated football programs in America? As a kid it used to be fun watching Notre Dame, they actually fielded decent teams and were exciting to watch play. Not anymore.

They don't deserve to be pandered to, they do nothing to deserve a weekly appearance on NBC.

they continue to lose bowl games (if they even get to one).

Bob Davie had maybe 1 good year mixed in with just average years. Willingham looked like the real deal, but then couldn't win more than 6 games after his first season. Weis had a very strong first and second year, but he got destroyed in a big time bowl games vs. ohio st. and LSU. And after that, he failed to win more than 7 games in any of his last 3 seasons.

A place like that shouldn't struggle to put winning teams on the field. Certain schools should be able to recruit themselves, notre dame being one of them. You can't say that they can't get talent b/c its a cold weather school - that argument doesn't hold up. It wasn't a problem for them in the past. and its not a problem for Boise State or Ohio State. And you can't say its b/c of the grade requirements. I'm sorry but Sheldon Williams was admitted into Duke, schools can make it happen.

so what the hell is going on there with that program. and is anyone else sick of all the coverage and hype around that school.

Comments

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    they are no longer the "it" school
    top recruits don't want to go to cold ass south bend when they can get noticed in warmer climate schools that have better looking ?
    getting in academically to the school is a ?
    unreal expectations
  • jpcrack
    jpcrack Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And they wanted to blame Tyrone at one timety-willingham-notre-dame.jpg
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    didn't Golden Tate rob a donut shop? he can't be that smart
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    didn't Golden Tate rob a donut shop? he can't be that smart

dude was geeking for maple bars
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cool thread ricanprince..very original
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Some of it is the cold weather climate but one thing that is killing them now is they have no attraction. If you gonna be a cold weather school you gonna need that it factor. Ohio Stat3e might keep gettign punished in bowl games but they have that it facotor that recruits like. Michigan is trying to get that back with Shoelace and rich rod can recruit Florida pretty well. At least with Weiss they got top qb's though there defense still sucked ass. QB's under Wiess new that they had a good chance to get drafted off his reputation alone. Now they have nothing. There image is gone they have no pull or power. then every year they are in the top 10 recruiting classes but aren't producing good talent. Plus no conference means no big rivals for real. I mean ok they play Michigan and USc every year but that's nothign compared to Fla vs Ala. Auburn vs Ala, or Mich vs Ohio St. Kids want to play in these big games.
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    when i was little notre dame was feared...lou holtz' sufferin succotash ass was highly respected and the NBC contract was highly deserved..

now

you know the rest

and for the record ? notre dame
  • jjswipe
    jjswipe Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The most overrated team ever
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Their academic standards eliminates potential recruits

? aint impressed about no Notre Dame tradition, school seems real WASPY to me
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That school is no longer the "it" school to go to, but for some reason their fans and Media believe it is, all the Elite Players coming out of Highschool aren't checking for Notre Dame

they'll get some nice recruits here and there like Clausen and Malcom Floyd but overall as a Whole kids aint checkin for the Notre Dame anymore, their time has passed.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    No one is really checking for ND. Havent been for years if you ask me. They always have some talent but not enough to really compete year in and year out. Plus people dont really care about the tradition which is probably what they push to recruits. Dont know why the media still talk about them so much like ? outside of south bend really wanna see them..
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kids are Attracted to Programs they Actually see Play , not based off "hear say" ....a lot of these Recruits now are Born in the 90's , they grew up Watching Miami,Southern Cal,Florida,Bama ,Oklahoma,Texas

also you're in a Day in age where kids want to Play in a Conference also, independent schools are wack.
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Raghib Ismail is the only player they ever had that I can remember actually wanting to watch play every week
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    Options
    real talk tho..alabama was on that notre dame level most of this decade. all kinds of tradition, but constand underachieving.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I see it as not having a good recruiting base. Who the ? is coming out of Indiana playing football? Illinios? Kentucky? And the best players out of those states are not going to Notre Dame. They are going to Purdue, Kentucky, Illini, and Ohio State. The only thing keeping Notre Dame football afloat is ABC. If ABC doesnt renew their contract. Notre Dame will fall out of existence until we here they are becoming a Div 1AA team.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    real talk tho..alabama was on that notre dame level most of this decade. all kinds of tradition, but constand underachieving.

Bama tradition in football is up there with Notre dame football. the only difference IMO is Bear Bryant keeps coming up when Bama has done alot after Bear Bryant. People cant remember the Jackie sherrel(I know I ? his name up bad) days. Hell I was a Bama fan until they played LSU every year!