Will black people be shut out of the Nobel prizes yet again?

Options
allreasoned_out
allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
It's that time of year again. Starting next week Nobel prizes will be awarded in Medicine, Chemistry, etc.

Blacks have only won one Nobel Prize that wasn't in Peace or Literature. And that was in 1979. I believe this is far less than any other race, with the possible exception of indigenous peoples.

I have no reason to believe that the committees that award the prizes are discriminating.

The whole thing is humiliating. We should be dominating this, or at least getting our proportional share.

Comments

• allreasoned_out
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Nobody has any thoughts on this?
  • Fooley
    Fooley Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why don't you go win one then? Otherwise ? .
  • allreasoned_out
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Fooley wrote: »
    why don't you go win one then? Otherwise ? .

At least I care, which is more than I can say about you and many others on here. BTW, Nobel Prizes aren't available in every field.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? ? if u want one so bad why dont u win one
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    Options
    At least I care, which is more than I can say about you and many others on here. BTW, Nobel Prizes aren't available in every field.

but the ones available in literature and peace are worthless to you right?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    I see the game haha
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    at least the prez won one last year...now after that...who cares *ye shrug*
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm not sure people grasp what it takes or how distinguishing it is to win one. Some people only recognize the Nobel Peace Prize because of Dr. MLK... most do not know they come for mathematics and economics etc..

It is sad that more blacks are not recognized..

smh
  • allreasoned_out
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    do you mean black people as a group?

Yes. No blacks at all have won since 1979, which was the only time a black won.

The Peace one is ridiculous. It means nothing now. A good case can be made that the Literature one has become politicalized. Anyway, we can do more than write well.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited September 2010
    Options
    About$ wrote: »
    I'm not sure people grasp what it takes or how distinguishing it is to win one. Some people only recognize the Nobel Peace Prize because of Dr. MLK... most do not know they come for mathematics and economics etc..

It is sad that more blacks are not recognized..

smh

it's sad that more blacks aren't achieving at that level.
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    it's sad that more blacks aren't achieving at that level.

My point is.. i'm sure there are some achieving... but you have to be nominated if i'm not mistaken. If no one moves to nominate you.. that means you are not being recognized.
  • juice86
    juice86 Members Posts: 832
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Jay-z is nominated for the bp3.

What? ? off that BP3 is so overrated
  • allreasoned_out
    edited September 2010
    Options
    About$ wrote: »
    My point is.. i'm sure there are some achieving... but you have to be nominated if i'm not mistaken. If no one moves to nominate you.. that means you are not being recognized.

I don't think that is how it works. I think you have to be nominated for Peace, but not the other prizes.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A white man has won the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

UK pioneer of in vitro fertilization wins medicine honour.

By Alison Abbott

Very few scientists can say that four million people are alive because of their work, but Robert Edwards is one of those few. His development of the technique at the heart of that claim — in vitro fertilization (IVF) — has won him this year's Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

To make IVF possible, Edwards had to solve numerous problems in basic biology — some of which opened the door for embryonic stem-cell research — while facing bitter opposition from churches, politicians and even some of his eminent colleagues at the University of Cambridge, UK. An outgoing yet thoughtful personality who eagerly engaged in public debate, Edwards was hurt by charges that his work was unethical.

But thanks also to his collaboration with another outsider, Patrick Steptoe, an obstetrician at the Oldham and District General Hospital, the world's first test-tube baby, Louise Brown, was born in 1978. Within five years, 150 test-tube babies had been born worldwide. Since then, IVF has become mainstream, and Edwards and Steptoe have been lauded for helping give life to millions. Had he not died in 1988, Steptoe would probably have shared the prize...

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101004/full/467641a.html
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? ain't checkin' for science.
  • L.I.P.
    L.I.P. Members Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    There are much more important problems that are deep rooted and plague the black community than not being nominated for a Nobel Prize. I'm shocked the OP left this out (as you constantly make these bookish, brainy threads). Pretty sure if these problems (especially educational) were fixed I don't think you would've made this thread. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just sayin'.......
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    they dont award Nobel prizes for rapping, playing basketball, or selling ?

OH YEAH, WENT THERE
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

OH YEAH, WENT THERE

u would probably ? yourself if the internet ever suffered a blackout.
  • birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

this is what i was going to say, so instead im dropping this.

n23302746_37848415_3715.jpg
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

OH YEAH, WENT THERE

No you di'int

neckroll.gif
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's that time of year again. Starting next week Nobel prizes will be awarded in Medicine, Chemistry, etc.

Blacks have only won one Nobel Prize that wasn't in Peace or Literature. And that was in 1979. I believe this is far less than any other race, with the possible exception of indigenous peoples.

I have no reason to believe that the committees that award the prizes are discriminating.

The whole thing is humiliating. We should be dominating this, or at least getting our proportional share.

Who chooses who wins the Nobel prizes?
  • allreasoned_out
    edited October 2010
    Options
    L.I.P. wrote: »
    There are much more important problems that are deep rooted and plague the black community than not being nominated for a Nobel Prize. I'm shocked the OP left this out (as you constantly make these bookish, brainy threads). Pretty sure if these problems (especially educational) were fixed I don't think you would've made this thread. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just sayin'.......

I agree with this. But arguably part of the problem is what is considered important; for example, is it more important that black people do well in sports or in fields like Medicine or Chemistry? There are plenty of people out there subtly reinforcing the idea that sports and entertainment are what's important. I'm trying to counter that. There are also some delusional folks out there that will tell you blacks are doing just fine in these areas. I also want to tell this group that they're wrong.
  • apocalyptica
    apocalyptica Members Posts: 225
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You act like its owed to a black person out of some idea of fairness instead of based on merit. Do this. Take the winners of past years and then take an achievement from a black person that you think is significantly better and then we can have a discussion on whether blacks are discriminated against or simply do not do anything to warrant it at least compared to other races. Until then, you have no argument except your observation that blacks are underrepresented and that says nothing since it could be that they are not meeting the standards and also they are underrepresented in chemistry/math/physics to begin with. More black guys are worried about being a rapper more than being a chemist and this is the consequence of that. Fix the source of the problem.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I agree with this. But arguably part of the problem is what is considered important; for example, is it more important that black people do well in sports or in fields like Medicine or Chemistry? There are plenty of people out there subtly reinforcing the idea that sports and entertainment are what's important. I'm trying to counter that. There are also some delusional folks out there that will tell you blacks are doing just fine in these areas. I also want to tell this group that they're wrong.

Please divulge the significant actions that you commit yourself to.
  • L.I.P.
    L.I.P. Members Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

Let me ask you a question. Do you think it is much harder for blacks to obtain the same quality of education as whites?