One of my classes responses when asked what hip-hop culture is.

Options
glowy
glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
Drugs and Violence.

All white class of course, except me and some other person.

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    you shoulda pulled out the heat, blasted on him, then sprinkled a lil ? around his dead body and said he was high and you were defending yourself.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    Drugs and Violence.

Well To be honest bro, that all you here about now a days, mainstream music. Old school hip hop had meaning, creativity, artistic styles., visual arts. Now look at it, I can't supports today's mainstream music.
  • Deckster
    Deckster Members Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? that's all it is right now. what else do the mainstream artist do and talk about now a days?

breh the only ? that have gone plat lately are jayz,eminem,lil wayne,kanye and drake....weezy is the only one that talks about drugs and violence and em.....
  • konceptjones
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Deckster wrote: »
    breh the only ? that have gone plat lately are jayz,eminem,lil wayne,kanye and drake....weezy is the only one that talks about drugs and violence and em.....

sales figures are immaterial to this discussion.

Jeezy, TI, Rick Ross, and the like are all talkin bout drugs and ? and they're everywhere. Doesn't matter how many albums they've sold, the fact is they're what's out there at the moment.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    Well To be honest bro, that all you here about now a days, mainstream music. Old school hip hop had meaning, creativity, artistic styles., visual arts. Now look at it, I can't supports today's mainstream music.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying this to show what hip-hop has come to. People say rap doesn't hurt the community, but something is wrong if the first two things that come to mind are drugs and violence. Nearly the whole class said it at the same time when the prof asked.
  • cmick
    cmick Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Your class lost bruh.

Correct answer is skinny jeans, bright colors, and high pitched voices.
  • Deckster
    Deckster Members Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sales figures are immaterial to this discussion.

Jeezy, TI, Rick Ross, and the like are all talkin bout drugs and ? and they're everywhere. Doesn't matter how many albums they've sold, the fact is they're what's out there at the moment.

well drake sells way more than ross,ti,and jeezy so raps about love and all that ? are more popular than trap rap, and mainstream= whats most popular....the last song by ti i heard on the radio was about his old self being dead and gone, thats pretty posotive....
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? that's all it is right now. what else do the mainstream artist do and talk about now a days?
    MeTaL wrote: »

Cosizzle...
  • sonofliberty
    sonofliberty Members Posts: 501
    edited September 2010
    Options
    well drake sells way more than ross,ti,and jeezy so raps about love and all that ? are more popular than trap rap, and mainstream= whats most popular....the last song by ti i heard on the radio was about his old self being dead and gone, thats pretty posotive....

Drake only put out one album. And hasn't sold more records than any of those guys who have been in the game for a minute. Drake raps about sex and material ? not cleaning house or politics. Money, Sex and Drugs sells regardless of genre.
  • konceptjones
    edited September 2010
    Options

and???

Again... SALES FIGURES MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN THIS DISCUSSION!!!

Hammer sold 10M back inna day and Vanilla Ice sold 7M around the same time, does that mean that all anyone was ever talking about back then was dancing and assorted other corny ? ???
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? need to stop scatching the surface and dig in the crates. Money, drugs, and hoes have been a part of hip-hop music since the beginning. there are artists that touch on different subjects. Maybe if the masses stopped feeding into the ? them unknown ? who are talking about other stuff would get some shine. But to drop knowledge that ? is wrong. Hip-hop culture is about expressing one's self through poetry, art, dance, or music
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If i was in there i would of said, "Amerikkkas disenfranchised and forgottens voice unedited". Some times you have to fight racism or stereotypes with hard truths!

I use to be that guy in glass who put people in their place, i was usually the only black person but i was up for the battle.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    y was yall talkin bout hip hop
  • Reina B
    Reina B Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    there's truth in what they spoke
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cmick wrote: »
    Your class lost bruh.

Correct answer is skinny jeans, bright colors, and high pitched voices.

Yeah, thats about right.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Reina B wrote: »
    there's truth in what they spoke

+10........
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It aint like they were lying.

The problem is black folks just dont want to hear white folks speaking on black issues. Even if its the truth.

Its kinda like a woman aint tryna hear a guy's opinion on abortion, even if he makes good points because he's a guy.

And black folks aint trying to hear what caucasiods have to say on black culture, even if they are correct.

I probably would have stood up in the class and said, "Thats not true whitey."

But as soon as class was over I would say "I totally agree with them. good point".
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Would have been the same response if they ere asked what black culture is & there were no black kids in the room.
  • jay83
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Would have been the same response if they ere asked what black culture is & there were no black kids in the room.

Xbox Live, youtube, stormfront................
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    Drugs and Violence.

Well obviously this person is misguided ...im wondering what your response was ...did you just smh ?? ordid u use this as an opportunity to educate?? cos honestly alot of peopel are born into ignorance
  • jay83
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    so that is what hip hop is about huh?
    so what is rock about?
    country?

for every misogynistic, hedonistic rap lyric you provide, i can provide a similar lyric from another genre.

Chris Rock said it best. "its hard to defend rap today". lol Im not disagreeing about what you said.

But with rap today, many kids arent exposed to the organic hip hop culture.

All Im saying is that with all the nonsense in mainstream rap today, you cant really blame them for what they said.

I agree with other genres though. The reason why hip hop is singled out so much because its been a heavy influence and cash cow in music.

Heavy metal isnt really the top dog right now. And country music isnt as well. But hip hop is where the influence, and money is. So its more likely to get the most criticism.

But dont get me started on that whole emo movement goin on.

And if a teacher was to ask a class full of black folks to describe heavy metal culture, the response would probably be: "black fingernail polish, devil worshipers, goths, ozzy osborne."
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Chris Rock said it best. "its hard to defend rap today". lol Im not disagreeing about what you said.

But with rap today, many kids arent exposed to the organic hip hop culture.

All Im saying is that with all the nonsense in mainstream rap today, you cant really blame them for what they said.

I agree with other genres though. The reason why hip hop is singled out so much because its been a heavy influence and cash cow in music.

Heavy metal isnt really the top dog right now. And country music isnt as well. But hip hop is where the influence, and money is. So its more likely to get the most criticism.

But dont get me started on that whole emo movement goin on.

And if a teacher was to ask a class full of black folks to describe heavy metal culture, the response would probably be: "black fingernail polish, devil worshipers, goths, ozzy osborne."

1.Heavy Metal, is a dying breed. I listen to metal(black,death,trash,power metal etc) and Metal once used to be the big boss. Now today you don't see any type of metal playing on radio, except for satellite radio on directv. Never on mtv or vh1. I Actually have to go online in order to listen to metal music.

2.But, as for rap/hip hop it's really hard to defend especially with all negative stereotypes it's presenting. People can actually stand up for what is right and do something about it. But unfortunately nobody cares anymore, i mean damn you got kids at the ages of 10 saying "super soak that ? " in this present day.

3. I know what you mean bro, but from a metal prospective,( I am metal head myself). Metal has a very bad reputation of being this dark and evil devil worshiping music. But that not really the case at all, some of these metal bands can produce some of the best sophisticated, beautiful instrumental music you even seen. for example listen to this whole song here. The metal vocalist your hearing is actually black, name is Howard Jones.

4. I have nothing against emo's, they are humans beings at the end of the day. But most are follower's, just doing it to fit in, other's do it for the fashion purpose.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    ? need to stop scatching the surface and dig in the crates. Money, drugs, and hoes have been a part of hip-hop music since the beginning. there are artists that touch on different subjects. Maybe if the masses stopped feeding into the ? them unknown ? who are talking about other stuff would get some shine. But to drop knowledge that ? is wrong. Hip-hop culture is about expressing one's self through poetry, art, dance, or music

Bruh you shoulda got up and said this...not in these exact words, but something along the lines. i think the same thing happened to me in an english class and i just went on a 10 minute rant as to why all my classmates need to upgrade their standards for hip-hop
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Violence, drugs, misogyny, gaudiness, self-hate, ignorance, etc., etc.

Time to end this bs.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2010
    Options
    underground= artists that don't have a deal with a known record label and aren't widely known by the public. Can't get a billboard status( Immortal technique, D.I.R.T., buckshot)
    mainstream= artists that are widely known to the public with a known record label, but don't make ? bubblegum hip-pop joints, and can get billboard status(ex. Jay Z, kanye, nas, Curren$y, Lupe, Wiz khalifa)
    Commercial= mainstream artists that make ? bubblegum hip-pop joints(Soulja Boy, new Boyz, Roscoe Dash, Young Money)

Those were the definitions I was given