Much Respect to the "Elite 5" HipHops most exclusive club......

Options
hrap-120
hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Reason
(I know sales dosent matter to you this is just recognizing the elite)
jay-z-kanye-wayne-ti.jpg

Record sales are at an all-time low, the country is in a recession and most people would rather steal music online instead of buying a C.D. or paying to download one.

A platinum plaque is becoming a rare trophy in HipHop, almost the Holy grail, and its takes a special artist to get one and a special and rare breed of artist to consistently get one, and stay relevant in today's climate.

So lets salute the Elite 5.

JayZ = 10 platinum or multi-platinum albums as of 2009 (including last years "Blueprint 3")

Eminem = Every one of his 6 albums is multi-platinum (including this years "Recovery")

Kanye West = 5 platinum or multi-platinum albums in a row as of 2008, and expected to receive another plaque after this years "Dark Twisted Fantasy".

T.I. = 5 platinum and multi-platinum plaques as of 2008, could be the end of the run for his streak due to legal woes and lack of commitment. If "King Uncaged" is released I have doubts it will reach platinum certification..

LiL Wayne
= has 2 platinum or multi-platinum solo rap albums in a row as of 2008, excluding his experimental rock album, the 3 million mega-selling "Carter 3" makes him a favorite to get that 3rd platinum plaque in a row when he drops the "Carter 4" in 2011.

Rappers who fell from elite-platinum status recently:

Ludacris (2008)
Snoop Dogg (2008)
50Cent (2009)
LiL Jon (2010)

Keeping the peoples interest year after year is no easy feat...especially 1 million or more people.

lil-wayne-kanye-west-jay-z.jpg