Is the commercialization of "the thug" dead?

Options
newyorkboi2001
newyorkboi2001 Banned Users Posts: 272
edited September 2010 in The Reason
The other day i went on jamaica avenue at gertz mall to shop. Its the first time in three years i been in the area. I remembered jamaica avenue being a place where young men who weren't thugs dressed in baggy pants, walked in a gangsta lean, talked with a tone which would be considered "thugged" like "ya no yadda mean type ? . Now when i visited jamaica i see kids swagger change. The commercialization of the thug had diminished. I barely seen any kids in rugged street wear, but wearing colorful tight clothing. I knew young people dressed this way, but i thought the hood still had people still down with the baggy.
I also noticed dudes swagga has changed. Instead of walking in a gangsta lean, they walk on some "pretty boy" ? . They no longer talk like "prodigy" but talk like usher. Some even talk like white people.
I think the thug image started dying when 50 lost the sales match to kanye. After that the thug started to diminish. I blame 50 for this. Dont get me wrong we still have fake elements of the thug, rick ross anyone? Real street hustlers still on the rugged ? , but it seems like kids these days wanna be more like usher and soulja boy than dmx and tupac

Comments

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The thug image was put to the back seat for the homosexual image that ? wanna cover up as havin "style" or bein "different, no them ? is just ?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yea i remember when i was young we used to make fun of how white folks dressed with tight ass shirts and pants ? up looking vans tapered jeans and ? . Now black folks have adopted that ? . it's whatever i don't wear that ? so to each his own
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the colliseum>>>>gertz
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That is now played out I think we're in a era where the regular man is the it thing. You still have your Gucci's of the world though but they aren't as prevalent.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    That is now played out I think we're in a era where the regular man is the it thing. You still have your Gucci's of the world though but they aren't as prevalent.

what does that mean?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    what does that mean?

You still have rappers that use the thug image like Gucci, but a lot of the newer rappers (2006-present) are more common man, than thug or gangster.

Lupe Fiasco
    Joell Ortiz
    Soulja Boy
    Drake
    Kid Cudi
    Charles Hamilton
    Wale
    J Cole
    Asher Roth

Just to name a few.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

what u mean? Gucci wear ? ass ? too.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You still have rappers that use the thug image like Gucci, but a lot of the newer rappers (2006-present) are more common man, than thug or gangster.

Lupe Fiasco
    Joell Ortiz
    Soulja Boy
    Drake
    Kid Cudi
    Charles Hamilton
    Wale
    J Cole
    Asher Roth

Just to name a few.

Soulja Boy think he a gangsta too now. what are u talkin bout?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    what u mean? Gucci wear ? ass ? too.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
    Soulja Boy think he a gangsta too now. what are u talkin bout?

not to my knowledge but you may be right.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i don't think it can be classified as using the thug image when you've killed a ?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i don't think it can be classified as using the thug image when you've killed a ?

so if you haven't killed a man then it's an image?
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Options
    so if you haven't killed a man then it's an image?

if that's the logic you wanna use
    but you know everything in life ain't so black and white
    i'm just saying if you done murdered a ? then the thug image may not be just an image for you
  • RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thank ? for that.
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    if that's the logic you wanna use
    but you know everything in life ain't so black and white
    i'm just saying if you done murdered a ? then the thug image may not be just an image for you

Yeah you living it but it's also an image you are portraying. Just because you ? a man it doesn't mean it also has to be your rap gimmick.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah you living it but it's also an image you are portraying. Just because you ? a man it doesn't mean it also has to be your rap gimmick.

murder is a gimmick?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    murder is a gimmick?

I give up.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I give up.

lol i'm just sayin maybe its not a gimmick
    maybe that's just who the ? is
    and to be honest gucci hardly ever talks about that ?
    not to say he doesn't
    but its not whole songs or verses dedicated to it
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah I get what you're saying but it seems like you not getting my point. Let me use an example if I'm a plumber and I make songs about plumbing and my rapper name is the plumber man, that is my gimmick although I really do plumbing in real life. So yeah Gucci sold drugs and killed a man, he could easily be a gospel rapper with that same background.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yeah I get what you're saying but it seems like you not getting my point. Let me use an example if I'm a plumber and I make songs about plumbing and my rapper name is the plumber man, that is my gimmick although I really do plumbing in real life. So yeah Gucci sold drugs and killed a man, he could easily be a gospel rapper with that same background.

gotcha
    plumber man
    ? said he make songs about plumbing
    hilarious