What Was The Point Of Jay Z "Retiring" After The Black Album?

Options
2pacnbiggie
2pacnbiggie Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Reason
I mean come on this was 2003 he said hes retiring after the black album, and then after that he goes on to release Best Of Both Worlds Unfinished Business, The Linkin Park collabo cd, Kingdome Come, American Gangster, and Blueprint 3. Thats 5 ? cds for a guy who says he was retiring from rap.

It seems like the whole retiring gimmick was used to elevate his ego at the time with all his whiny "im suppose to be number 1 on everybodys list lets see what happens when i no longer exist" ? cries to try to push his retirement up there in comparision to pac and big dying imo

Hes progressively getting worst and Blueprint 3 is a joke album along with Kingdome Come to his career

what do you think the point was of his "retirement"

Comments

• maximus preme
    maximus preme Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    to sell records of course. But to me as a Jay-z fan The Black Album was the last Jay-z album. I don't who this fossil is that keeps putting out CDs now.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    the man wanted to take a lil break. bobw2 was leftovers of the first. the linkin mashup was remixed songs of old. technically he did retire from makin solo albums for 3yrs. now granted kc was trash. as a hova fan even i can admit that. ag was hot i dont give a ? what anybody says ag is a hustlers classic, thats what i'll call it. now bp3 aint that bad, not on kc level, you are boosting quite a bit. the point of his retirement? well ? did run def jam did he not? maybe it was jus a chance to try some next ? . ? cant stay doin the same ? all the time. that why he came back he missed the game. at this point in the game i dont think there is anythin he could do to tarnish his legacy. GET OFF HOVAS NUTS ?
  • Hustlers Ambition$
    Hustlers Ambition$ Members Posts: 245
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He changed his mind on something he loves to do. Haven't we all done that in one form or another?

On top of that he gets paid millions for it. That probably was a big factor but wouldn't it be for most people?

BTW

Black Album= In my personal top 10. I wasn't a big Jay fan until this one.

KC= Trash overall but The Prelude is one of my favorite Jay songs

AG= VERY good

BP3= VERY dissapointing

Lets see what he has next.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm yet to see a rapper with a massive ego like dude has... he shoulda jumped on the the track with that title with his missus instead of Kanye
  • king of nyc
    king of nyc Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cant leave rap alone da game needs me
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    to sell records of course. But to me as a Jay-z fan The Black Album was the last Jay-z album. I don't who this fossil is that keeps putting out CDs now.

American Gangster was a really strong album. Remove Lil Wayne from Hello Brooklyn and add one or two more strong songs in it's place and talk about it being a potential future classic Hip Hop album would be justified
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I dont think Wayne ? up Hello Brooklyn, but Jay's purpose of retiring was a part of a marketing strategy imo, looking back at it now.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    nah i think dude really THOUGHT he was gonna call it quits...like alot of ppl do but couldnt stay away...

and as for post Black Album albums...

KC-Havent listened to it all yet...but from what i heard it aint good but it aiint terrible....
    AG-Borderline classic ? what yall say
    BP3-Good take off haterz and reminder and the albums better..
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    I dont think Wayne ? up Hello Brooklyn, but Jay's purpose of retiring was a part of a marketing strategy imo, looking back at it now.

Gotta agree...
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Master P said he was gonna retire after the Last Don album

LL Cool J said he was gonna retire after the GOAT album

DMX said he was gonna retire after the Grand Champ

Nas was gonna retire around the time he did Stillmatic

Ja Rule said he was gonna retire around the time of the Last Temptation
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited January 2010
    Options

Last great jay album I agree. Although AG is good.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He gave it up but then the game went to hell so he came back to save it. That's why his return was called Kingdom Come. It's metaphor, look it up.

kingdom%20come%201%20GIF.gif
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    His purpose was to make us feel obligated to crown him the GOAT. He thought people would appreciate him more in retirement than if he would've stayed active.
  • choppa_style
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ? too stupid to understand metaphors
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    SoulRattler of Venom Members Posts: 458
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This thread is reaching, but enough people got it. The dude thought he was gonna venture into things other than recording music. You'd be suprised how many things just worked out in his favor throughout his career.

Bottom line, it wasn't a publicity stunt. It is so hard to believe that someone could have a genuine love in making music? smh
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited January 2010
    Options
    who knowz?? thatz like askin y did cuuuurly say he would retire if ye beat him & CUUUUURLY LOST but that duuuunkey aint retire just like gayme said he was gonna retire after LAX but he aint du that ? either....u cant really take a rapper serious when they start talkin about retirin..
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    word at the curly example

50 was gonna retire if kanye beat him, kanye beat him but kept on coming out with music.....thread is dumb
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Jay= Brett Favre... sad but true...
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    simple answer...Publicity, slight more complex is to MindFuck the people that worship him and make it appear as if he was blessing them by not doing so. Basically all a Psychological game with you kats...
  • longbeach_turnt_up
    longbeach_turnt_up Members Posts: 101
    edited January 2010
    Options
    damn...a ? cant change his mind?
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He changed his mind on something he loves to do. Haven't we all done that in one form or another?

On top of that he gets paid millions for it. That probably was a big factor but wouldn't it be for most people?

BTW

Black Album= In my personal top 10. I wasn't a big Jay fan until this one.

KC= Trash overall but The Prelude is one of my favorite Jay songs

AG= VERY good

BP3= VERY dissapointing

Lets see what he has next.

AG was a crazy album and it was better than vol 3, dynasty, and it can bang out with the black album track for track and win imo it's top 3 jay albums bp3 was dope too. people wanted dude to go back to RD days you got what you wanted in AG and ya'll say he fell off or the album is wack
  • coop1974a
    coop1974a Members Posts: 6
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I mean come on this was 2003 he said hes retiring after the black album, and then after that he goes on to release Best Of Both Worlds Unfinished Business, The Linkin Park collabo cd, Kingdome Come, American Gangster, and Blueprint 3. Thats 5 ? cds for a guy who says he was retiring from rap.

It seems like the whole retiring gimmick was used to elevate his ego at the time with all his whiny "im suppose to be number 1 on everybodys list lets see what happens when i no longer exist" ? cries to try to push his retirement up there in comparision to pac and big dying imo

Hes progressively getting worst and Blueprint 3 is a joke album along with Kingdome Come to his career

what do you think the point was of his "retirement"

Damn you've been hating along time.
  • choppa_style
    edited January 2010
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    who knowz?? thatz like askin y did cuuuurly say he would retire if ye beat him & CUUUUURLY LOST but that duuuunkey aint retire just like gayme said he was gonna retire after LAX but he aint du that ? either....u cant really take a rapper serious when they start talkin about retirin..

No he wasn't...that was an actual publicity stunt. He contractually couldn't stop making records after he put out 2 more records after Curtis.

Jay on the other hand had tons of other ventures that made him more money than the music. He really doesn't need to make music. In fact, the more time he spends on music, the more time he takes away from making more money through other sources. He really does do it for the love of the game and didn't want to see it fail. He explained all this in 2006.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    maybe he didnt want Beyonce to outshine him or to make sure no other ? snatch up B
  • Yungin T. Jeezie
    Yungin T. Jeezie Members Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Beyonce got tired of coming home off tour & Jay always at home, watching Colonial Penn commercials