Ladies of the IC: Wigs & Weaves...

Options
Recaptimus_Prime360
Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Powder Room
why? i don't understand how y'all can literally spend 9+ hrs @ a salon to get ur hair done. YET, say gettin up and spendin 10mins to do ur REAL hair takes too long! LOL!!

me personally, i'm not really a big fan of wigs. weave is ok, it really depends on how it looks on a woman. but if ur real hair is a decent length, then why damage it by constantly wearin wigs & weaves? ladies after seeing pics from naomi campbell, tyra banks, and vivica fox, u mite wanna cut back (i heard the lacefront weaves are the worst).

fellas, what are y'all thoughts about this? yeah i know some of y'all could care less about a woman's hair, b/c it's all about the azzz. but appearance does play a factor. me personally, i'll take a woman rockin her real hair over wig or weave. but that's just me.

ladies, give us sum insight on this. holla back wit y'all responses.

Comments

• Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I chill with a chic now that wigs it out from time to time.

I don't mind because she leads a very active lifestyle i.e. samba, gymnastics, flag football... And her body is ? ' incredible. Decent tradeoff. *shrugs*

Other than that, these hoes lazy mayne...
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    Aquaf!nafloe Confirm Email Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i was always to scared to do wigs....what if the wind blew it off..i stay with my tracks....
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    edited October 2010
    Options
    my homegurl just recently sheaved her head balled...and now she is doin wigs claims shes startin over...i had to give her 5 star boss rateing for that ish mayne.shes a bold ? for that one....AND shes a virgo.......
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

Some wear them just for a different temporary look. If you have long hair and wanna go short or even trying a different color/texture,
    wigs & weaves are perfect.

some wear a few tracks for more fullness.

I'm rockin my natural hair tho.
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I guess people want variety. That's why I'm glad I got dreads. I can do so many things to it: updos, dying, spraying, and curling without spending a lot of money or going to the salon. The only problem I have if women wear wigs is to put the draw string under the wig. And to not go a long time with the tracks showing from your weave. That is just not right. LOL

i was sooooo thinkink about doinsome long kinky twist or short dreads but im scared...my weave is all i know ;(
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2010
    Options
    why? i don't understand how y'all can literally spend 9+ hrs @ a salon to get ur hair done. YET, say gettin up and spendin 10mins to do ur REAL hair takes too long! LOL!!

LMAO, u ain't lying and i have done exactly this. but i guess w/ me, when i wear my natural hair, u have to do a lotta extra ? to it to keep it healthy and growing that people w/ other types of textures don't have to do. like wrap it up at night, every night, flat ironing or curling, hot oil treatments, etc. if i have a weave i can not do ? to it and it will still look good(most of the times) another thing is when i wear my natural hair i can't even ride w/ my window down cuz it won't look the same or if its mad windy outside that will ? it up too.

but i grew up w/ perms so that is part of. i've thought about goin natuaral but i can't bring myself to do it. maybe one day. but when i do wear my hair out and its styled it looks good but like i said, i have to do more work to keep it that way and sometimes i just wanna get up and go.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i don't do wigs or weaves. i'm a firm believer that if you are good to your natural hair it will be good back to you. i used to be really addicted to dyeing my hair, but i changed it back to my natural colour and have layed off the dyeing. my hair's been so much healthier since. a lot of heating tools, and too much washing is bad for hair also.

exactly. that's why i can't understand women who got long hair healthy hair, but stay rockin weaves & wigs. my other ex is guilty of this ? . hefa got long enuff hair, and actually looks cute wheneve she wears it out. but instead, her lazy azzz either puts her hair in a ponytail, or rocks one of her ugly azzz wigs or weave. this hefa head is too big for that that, and it doesn't even look rite.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ako, have you have posted a pic with your dreads?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited October 2010
    Options

LMAO, u ain't lying and i have done exactly this. but i guess w/ me, when i wear my natural hair, u have to do a lotta extra ? to it to keep it healthy and growing that people w/ other types of textures don't have to do. like wrap it up at night, every night, flat ironing or curling, hot oil treatments, etc. if i have a weave i can not do ? to it and it will still look good(most of the times) another thing is when i wear my natural hair i can't even ride w/ my window down cuz it won't look the same or if its mad windy outside that will ? it up too.

but i grew up w/ perms so that is part of. i've thought about goin natuaral but i can't bring myself to do it. maybe one day. but when i do wear my hair out and its styled it looks good but like i said, i have to do more work to keep it that way and sometimes i just wanna get up and go.

yeah i understand but still. i mean weave & wigs causes more damage tho don't it? i mean a lot of these females hairlines are retreating to the back of their heads each day lol. man looka here, i need to get that chris rock movie about black women an hair.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Not recently. I should, tho. I just dyed them red.

you should. I wanna see. :)
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I was initially nervous about dreads as well, especially when I first started out. ? had me looking like a chia pet lol. Now my hair is past my shoulders. But I think Black women look so good with their natural hair. I never regretted getting dreads. It will take patience if you want dreads in order for them to grow.

i know im gettin to old for this and its expensive as hell to keep it up...its actualy starting to cut into my budget bieng that i am now living alone and paying bills alone ion think im gonna be able to afford to do it like i usualy do....im also thinkin of just doin my natrual hair but i cant do hair for ? !!!!! i might just do some of those tinny tinny braids or kinky twist so i wont have to change it monthly...
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i think the ease of maintenance is the draw of weaves/wigs. initially it may take 9 hours, but then u don't have to do it for like a month. i have to do my hair every morning, takes me about 30 mins to blow dry and iron, and the constant heat does take it's toll. but all the weaves tend to reek havoc on your hairline and scalp.

exactly. ladies need to start thinkin mean long term. cuz ain't nothin worse than seeing a woman wit a jacked up hairline and scalp lol
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i hate distracted stylists (phone,food,familiy members! ugh!) that take up your time as if you had nothing else to do that afternoon. [/endrant]
    the girl who usually does mines now is good for getting me out of the shop in 2 hours :tu
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2010
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    yeah i understand but still. i mean weave & wigs causes more damage tho don't it? i mean a lot of these females hairlines are retreating to the back of their heads each day lol. man looka here, i need to get that chris rock movie about black women an hair.

weaves have progressed over time just like technology. when i was elementary school, i had jumbo braids or cornrows
    junior high and high school was glue in weaves or micro braids
    now they have lacefronts and halfwigs, my ex used to stay clownin on half wigs, like how u have half a wig. but thats pretty much my thing now. i buy human hair half wigs and wear them w/ my natural hair. a ? the other day was complementing me on the fact that i had naturally long hair and i was like um yeah sorry 2 disappoint u but its a half wig lol.

anyways, nowadays, u can wear certain weaves w/o damaging your hair and scalp. lol at retreating hairlines, guess i was lucky.
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I dont do wigs or weaves. My hair is long and Im tired of it. I might shave it all off a la SO' Connor.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I always thought the weave damage came into play if the girl uses glue. The sew-ins don't seem damaging since it's only braid and thread.

I've had this haircut since June.
    20080303_213230_inverted_bob_1_.jpg

Then I got a sew-in two months later because I didn't want my hair short anymore. But now I'm taking it out because I want my bob back.
    I'm always trying diff styles on my hair. But nothing that requires heat daily because it's bad for the hair.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Banned Location: Locaton: Location:Posts: 0
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I dont do wigs or weaves. My hair is long and Im tired of it. I might shave it all off a la SO' Connor.

oh hell no ! lol

what's up with some of yall wanting to rock the stubble head
  • rose.amoureux
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I always thought the weave damage came into play if the girl uses glue. The sew-ins don't seem damaging since it's only braid and thread.

I've had this haircut since June.
    20080303_213230_inverted_bob_1_.jpg

Then I got a sew-in two months later because I didn't want my hair short anymore. But now I'm taking it out because I want my bob back.
    I'm always trying diff styles on my hair. But nothing that requires heat daily because it's bad for the hair.

If they're too tight they are.
  • rose.amoureux
    edited October 2010
    Options
    oh hell no ! lol

what's up with some of yall wanting to rock the stubble head

Oh, no I was just joking...kinda. Nah but forreal, I love my hair too much to do that.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »

me personally, i'm not really a big fan of wigs. weave is ok, it really depends on how it looks on a woman. but if ur real hair is a decent length, then why damage it by constantly wearin wigs & weaves? ladies after seeing pics from naomi campbell, tyra banks, and vivica fox, u mite wanna cut back (i heard the lacefront weaves are the worst).

fellas, what are y'all thoughts about this? yeah i know some of y'all could care less about a woman's hair, b/c it's all about the azzz. but appearance does play a factor. me personally, i'll take a woman rockin her real hair over wig or weave. but that's just me.

ladies, give us sum insight on this. holla back wit y'all responses.

lacefronts are only damaging to your edges if you use glue or another harsh adhesive
    it's the glue that be ? girl's hair up...not the wig itself