Sampling VST Plugins in FL Studio

Options
drematic
drematic Members Posts: 234
edited October 2010 in Fresh Produce
Wow! Say you got a VST with only three sounds that you really mess with. You can sample the presets you want to keep in DirectWave and trash the rest of that wack ? .. might even gain some harddrive space in the process!

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    preset junkies lose.

Why don't you create your own sounds with your plugins instead of relying on presets?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    preset junkies lose.

Why don't you create your own sounds with your plugins instead of relying on presets?
    so you just read the word "preset" and decided to hate on dude's post? that's useful knowledge in that vid for FL users, regardless of whether or not you use a vst's presets.
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    preset junkies lose.

so says the ? with nuthin but sampled tracks to show for himself
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    drematic wrote: »

lol.....thats low...but really doe Jones...you can manipulate presets so its no reason to dislike em.....eventually they become "your own sounds"....
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    tonys. wrote: »
    lol.....thats low...but really doe Jones...you can manipulate presets so its no reason to dislike em.....eventually they become "your own sounds"....

i just felt like damn, for real..ole ass ? ? but it's gravy. like grundy said, it's bigger than just copying presets. furthermore, i been makin my own synths since the late 90s, so a ? aint talkin bout ? really.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I make sampled hip hop. I create sounds for Detroit Techno, DnB, and Deep House.

Let's look at why I replied the way I did, shall we???
    Wow! Say you got a VST with only three sounds that you really mess with. You can sample the presets you want to keep in DirectWave and trash the rest of that wack ? .. might even gain some harddrive space in the process!

read that quotation.

Where am I wrong??? The only thing being spoken on are presets. You're saying sample the PRESETS and trash the rest... Where is anything I said going wrong???

To be fair, I didn't know there was a video in drematic's post until I quoted it just now (all manner of Youtube is blocked here at the office), so if there's anything I really missed, then my bad.

However, to say that one should trash an entire plugin because you sampled a couple of presets is plain silly. Sampling doesn't allow you to manipulate a sound after the fact except with the facilities that the sampler has, you don't get the played nuances or anything unless you spend a ton of time making multi-samples... but that takes up far more space than the original sound could have possibly taken up so what's the point in doign that? Let's say that out of all of the preset sounds in Korg's Wavestation, you only like 3 of them. You sample them and later find that if you move the vector position on one of them, you like it even more. Now you're sampling it again, taking up more space, defeating the point made about gaining drive space back and even then you still don't get the ability to manipulate the sound even more via the vector synthesis engine.

tonys - True, presets can give you a starting point... But listen to a lot of todays hip hop... Most of these "producers" just use un-tweaked presets in their music, whether they came from a hardware keyboard or a VST. You got legions of cats out there now trying to get on now with nothing but presets because so-and-so big name producer used xxxxxxxx from Omnisphere in so-and-so's last big radio hit.

My bad if I came off foul, I'm on a lot of other sites where cats do nothing except ? with presets and the ? is really getting out of hand.
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    it's all good mane. i was just basically setting up the context of the video's content. and I understand about not being able to see the video at work, i can't even post at work (glad i left early today!)
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Booo I wanted some Fresh Produce Beef LOL... But drematic, why you hating on Sample producers???
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    bruh, before i took a shot at jones, i listened to every track on his page before i responded. i liked most of what i heard and it wasn't the first time i'd heard them either. but i urge you to do the same.
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2010
    Options
    sample producers are weak
  • Roster Player #99
    edited October 2010
    Options
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR 's beats < Weather Channel Beats.
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    damn, it's been beef all round this ? today. royal rumble!
  • Roster Player #99
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I didn't start modding this forum to watch ? beef back and forth in these threads over nothin' - I see enough of that ? in tha' donkey.........if y'all ? don't wanna' help each other and be constructive, y'all can have this ? ! I've got better things to invest my time in................
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    nah, it ain even like that big bruh, we just in here trippin. some of us got a long weekend and don't know how to act.
  • Roster Player #99
    edited October 2010
    Options
    nah, it ain even like that big bruh, we just in here trippin. some of us got a long weekend and don't know how to act.

for real doe...
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2010
    Options
    tonys. wrote: »
    for real doe...
    yup its all fun
  • GettinLo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    bruh, before i took a shot at jones, i listened to every track on his page before i responded. i liked most of what i heard and it wasn't the first time i'd heard them either. but i urge you to do the same.

Right I got all of that but you said:

as if sampled tracks are a bad thing or something...yea I took your advice and listened to jones' page and liked what I heard... I'm just asking IF you have a creative or stylistic problem with sampling over original compositions?? No beef, just picking your brain is all...

And for the record, I'm one of those ? with only sampled tracks to show for myself LOL
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    naw mane, what i meant was you should check out my ? first and it would be obvious that this is not a sampler vs composer issue. i got absolutely no prob with anyone else's creative process. personally, i feel i do both (sample & non) pretty well. again, i know yeen hatin and neither was jones. we all do this ? and i always try to encourage my brothers.
  • GettinLo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    naw mane, what i meant was you should check out my ? first and it would be obvious that this is not a sampler vs composer issue. i got absolutely no prob with anyone else's creative process. personally, i feel i do both (sample & non) pretty well. again, i know yeen hatin and neither was jones. we all do this ? and i always try to encourage my brothers.

That's what it is bruh... I've tried to "compose" ? but never, ever liked what i did. The funny thing is the dudes love the joints I did like 3 years ago and I think they are the wackest ? I ever made, and I've made a ton of wack ? LOL
  • drematic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i'm sure we've all made our share of wack ? . just do that ? though mane, you never know who's gonna like what. knowledge is power so learn as many tricks as you can. and always experiment, that's how t-pain took over the game.