what is the greatest lyrical display ever displayed in hiphop?

Options
thedesolateone
thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Reason
is it the ghetto by rakim?

Comments

• isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    is it the ghetto by rakim?

I totally agree on that.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    canibus "buckingham palace"...i say that ? thats the only one i can remember rite now canibus should have this thread on lock (and im not even a big canibus fan)
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    opinions opinion opinions, here are a few

Andre 3000 - Aquemini
    Jay-z - Grammy Familly freestyle
    Nas - The world is yours
    Big Pun - You ain't a killer
    Inspectah Deck - Above the clouds
    GZA - 4th Chamber (second verse)
    Biggie - Victory
    etc
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This is almost a pointless topic because everyone is gonna have different opinions and there's not really a right or wrong answer. But then again I guess that applies to most of the topics on this site. I don't know though, as soon as I type a reply to this I know I'll think of something else. But off the dome, I'd have to say UGK's "Murder" off of Ridin ? . The way Bun and ? go back and forth, building and picking up speed with each verse is classic. I've heard that they supposedly freestyled that track in one take (?). Regardless it's definatley a great lyrical display.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Lupe or Jay got it
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That's a hard ass question. Canibus should definately be in the talks. The way Inspectah Deck styled all over "Triumph" should be in the talks too. Not to mention Dead Presidents II by Jay. Out of all the people who spit on that beat, no one ever topped Jays verse. J. Cole is the only one that came close.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    mattee c wrote: »
    This is almost a pointless topic because everyone is gonna have different opinions and there's not really a right or wrong answer. But then again I guess that applies to most of the topics on this site. I don't know though, as soon as I type a reply to this I know I'll think of something else. But off the dome, I'd have to say UGK's "Murder" off of Ridin ? . The way Bun and ? go back and forth, building and picking up speed with each verse is classic. I've heard that they supposedly freestyled that track in one take (?). Regardless it's definatley a great lyrical display.

Co-Sign That "Murder track....Bun B destroyed that ?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Bank$-Big Bully
    Nas-Deja Vu, Just Another Day in the Projects
    AZ- Life's a ?
    Jay-Z-22 Two's
    B.I.G.-Biggie With the Hype ?
    Pun-Beware
    Kane-Just Rhymin' With Biz
  • Dretox2010
    Dretox2010 Members Posts: 1,295
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Stan - Eminem
    If I Had - Eminem
    The Way I Am - Eminem
    When I'm Gone - Eminem
    Brain Damage - Eminem
    Lose Yourself - Eminem
    8 Mile Road - Eminem
    Superman - Eminem
    Kim - Eminem
    Infinite - Eminem
    97 Bonnie & Clyde - Eminem
    Criminal - Eminem
    Renegade - Eminem
    Cleaning Out My Closet - Eminem
    We As Americans - Eminem
    Yellow Brick Road - Eminem
    Rabbit Run - Eminem
    Deja Vu - Eminem
    Just Don't Give A ? - Eminem
    Rewind - Nas
    New York State Of Mind - Nas
  • illogics
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Dretox2010 wrote: »

Infinite - Eminem
    .......Yes
  • Dretox2010
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The best display of Lyrcism ever with a message that relates to people and is personal with emotion and substance has to be the Rock Bottom Song by Eminem

No other Song comes close to that
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Melle Mel - The Message
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Here's what lyrical means first off

lyr·i·cal (lr-kl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Expressing deep personal emotion or observations: a dancer's lyrical performance; a lyrical passage in his autobiography.
    Highly enthusiastic; rhapsodic: gave a lyrical description of her experiences in the South Seas.
    Lyric.
  • Dretox2010
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This is just my personal view but Rock Bottom for me is the greatest Song ever made in history
  • illogics
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Also, "The Message" by Nas and also AZ's verse on "Life's a ? "
  • illogics
    edited January 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »

lyr·i·cal (lr-kl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Expressing deep personal emotion or observations: a dancer's lyrical performance; a lyrical passage in his autobiography.
    Highly enthusiastic; rhapsodic: gave a lyrical description of her experiences in the South Seas.
    Lyric.

This aint the Hip-Hop view on Lyricism. I hate when ? throw the text book definition out there.
  • Dretox2010
    edited January 2010
    Options

lyr·i·cal (lr-kl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Lyric.

That's why Eminem is the greatest Lyricist & Writer ever he will speak about personal things people relate to from topics such as poverty, love, parenting, family etc but say it using Multi's, Word Play, Story Telling that is perfect & catchy Hook's and the emotion in his Song's is un matched only people like 2pac & DMX have similar emotion, Eminem does concept's that have never ever been done in the past as well
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    This aint the Hip-Hop view on Lyricism. I hate when ? throw the text book definition out there.

quoted for emphasis.....
    the dictionary is written by a bunch of ols ass white folk that probably never even heard of hiphop......4give my ignorant retort but i cant be bothered to be serious right now...IM ? :)
  • illogics
    edited January 2010
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    quoted for emphasis.....
    the dictionary is written by a bunch of ols ass white folk that probably never even heard of hiphop......4give my ignorant retort but i cant be bothered to be serious right now...IM ? :)

? WHERE ARE YOU? It's 5 o clock. ? ? Well Damn.
  • Focal Point
    edited January 2010
    Options

It still applies... and in this def I'd go with Lupe's He Say She Say
  • Focal Point
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Dretox2010 wrote: »
    That's why Eminem is the greatest Lyricist & Writer ever he will speak about personal things people relate to from topics such as poverty, love, parenting, family etc but say it using Multi's, Word Play, Story Telling that is perfect & catchy Hook's and the emotion in his Song's is un matched only people like 2pac & DMX have similar emotion, Eminem does concept's that have never ever been done in the past as well

Em lays it down on that emotional tip
  • Dretox2010
    edited January 2010
    Options
    See 2pac will make records that are personal topics like poverty, loving his mom, political issues etc with a lotta emotion

But when Eminem makes his deep, personal, heart felt records about his life on topics such as loving his daughter, poverty, relationship, family, love etc Eminem will use Multi's, picture painting Story Telling, amazing Word Play and Melodic Singing with catchy Hook's but with just as much emotion if not more then 2pac

It's that balance that Eminem has always had over others like Nas
  • illogics
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It still applies... and in this def I'd go with Lupe's He Say She Say

It would apply if people can say with a straight face that Pac was a better lyricist than say...Lupe. But that's not the case. We can't apply the text book definition when dealing with Hip-Hop.
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    All of me joe budden
  • Dretox2010
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It would apply if people can say with a straight face that Pac was a better lyricist than say...Lupe. But that's not the case. We can't apply the text book definition when dealing with Hip-Hop.

2pac is a million times better then Lupe though