"Our Characters Are Bigger Than Marvel's"

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Though he's generally averse to discussing particulars when it comes to DC Entertainment's involvement in movies and television, Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns did give his thoughts on the particular approach the company is taking with regards to its superhero movies.

As we reported last month in our interview with DCE President Diane Nelson, DCE is not taking the integrated, unified approach that Marvel is with its Avengers film, which will spin out of characters, concepts and plot threads introduced in the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America franchises.

"People make an assumption that we're going to mirror Marvel's strategy, for example with Avengers. We do have a very different attitude about how you build a content slate," Nelson said. "And it isn't necessarily about connecting those properties together to build into a single thing. We think we've got great stories and characters that will lend themselves to great standalone experiences, and that's the way we're focusing on it."

Today, in his spotlight panel, Johns echoed this sentiment, taking it one step further in comparing the characters he watches over with those of his competitor.

"I think our characters are bigger than Marvel's characters," said Johns. The writer of Brightest Day, Flash and Green Lantern went on to describe how heroes like Batman and Superman are more symbolic than popular Marvel heroes, that DC's characters stand for hope or justice or other ideas far more than "just a character on the street."

Johns related this idea back to films, saying that because these characters are so big, it's important that they are introduced and treated with a certain level of respect and reverence. Rather than "smashing" characters together, Johns said each franchise would be introduced equally and individually.

What, then, of a Justice League movie? Though Johns' statements certainly seem to ? any immediate plans for a film, the fact remains that the future could hold anything for the iconic team. What happens when all of these characters have their proper launch into pop culture? Surely then we could see one?

No doubt DCE will remain quiet on that front for now. In the meantime, we have a whole lot of legendary characters to watch for.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1126895p1.html

Comments

• NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I Agree To An Extent But Dude Is Coming Off As A Hater
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think it all depends on the story

Spiderman 2, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man are all second fiddle to the Dark Knight Returns, but besides the last couple batman movies when was the last time DC had a big hit at the theaters?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I dont think Superman is that big anymore, hes still iconic but I dont see the next Superman movie being as big as the next Batman or the Avengers even.
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I haven't read comics in years, but what I remember, my preference was Marvel over DC because the Marvel characters were "more human" than the DC characters. Spiderman had life, family, teen issues. Iron Man had health and alcohol issues. Hulk (Banner) had his problems etc. DC guys were too perfect. Superman was the strongest and invincible to everything exept one element not found on earth. Batman was a billiaire detective with endless resources and always had the right equipment for whatever mission in his utility belt (like Sport Billy). Wonder Woman had no real weaknesses.

I think in more recent times, some of these have changed regarding DC - I think they heard the complaints and acted on them.

What I did give DC props for was that their comics had more violence than Marvel, and also their recent movies (animated) have been good.
  • Bcotton5
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yea DC has poor writing, most of the DC heroes have stupid unlimited power
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Batman & superman (maybe wonderwoman/green lantern ) >>>>> marvel (in terms of popularity)

other than that marvel>>>>>dc in popularity
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Batman is the greatest superhero but other than him and Superman's names used for reference, DC ain't got ? on Marvel.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    DC has bigger characters,and Marvel has better ones
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    I haven't read comics in years, but what I remember, my preference was Marvel over DC because the Marvel characters were "more human" than the DC characters. Spiderman had life, family, teen issues. Iron Man had health and alcohol issues. Hulk (Banner) had his problems etc. DC guys were too perfect. Superman was the strongest and invincible to everything exept one element not found on earth. Batman was a billiaire detective with endless resources and always had the right equipment for whatever mission in his utility belt (like Sport Billy). Wonder Woman had no real weaknesses.

I think in more recent times, some of these have changed regarding DC - I think they heard the complaints and acted on them.

What I did give DC props for was that their comics had more violence than Marvel, and also their recent movies (animated) have been good.

this is why I will always prefer Spiderman over Batman...I like Batman but part of me really feels lke he's just a rich guy w/ way too much time on his hands...and it's too much ? that can't be explained in the DC comic world...taking Batman again for instance how in the flying ? has NOBODY figured out Bruce Wayne/Batman is the same guy...flying planes out of his mansions and nobody sees it...Superman can change clothes in a booth in rush hour but nobody sees him go in or out the booth? And Lois Lane is so dumb she can't recognize him without his glasses on? it's just too much fantasy and not enough reality...Marvel characters get real life problems
  • Bcotton5
    edited October 2010
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    DC has bigger characters,and Marvel has better ones

Honesty besides Superman and Batman, Marvels top characters are more popular
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Batman & superman (maybe wonderwoman/green lantern ) >>>>> marvel (in terms of popularity)

other than that marvel>>>>>dc in popularity

This........
  • BootyButterPi
    BootyButterPi Members Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Marvels new movies are better. cept for the hulk. they keep trying and keep messing up. do they really not know that we want a real guy playing the hulk instead of a cartoon?

CGI. smh.
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    this is why I will always prefer Spiderman over Batman...I like Batman but part of me really feels lke he's just a rich guy w/ way too much time on his hands...and it's too much ? that can't be explained in the DC comic world...taking Batman again for instance how in the flying ? has NOBODY figured out Bruce Wayne/Batman is the same guy...flying planes out of his mansions and nobody sees it...Superman can change clothes in a booth in rush hour but nobody sees him go in or out the booth? And Lois Lane is so dumb she can't recognize him without his glasses on? it's just too much fantasy and not enough reality...Marvel characters get real life problems

That right there. But not just Lois Lane, the whole Daily Planet staff. How many times have Superman picture appeared on the front page of the newspaper? And Clark Kent works there. How many pics has Jimmy Olsen taken of Superman?
  • biggyboykarl
    biggyboykarl Confirm Email Posts: 319
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I prefer the DC character alot more than I do Marvels.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Wow! How wrong can he be? Spiderman and Hulk on par with Batman and Superman popularity wise. Iron Man, Thor, Cap America, Wolverine, the rest of the X-men, Juggernaut, Deadpool, etc. have all become more popular than most of DC's characters.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Honesty besides Superman and Batman, Marvels top characters are more popular

yeah but Batman and Superman are the #1 and # 2 superheros ever. Just by their logos alone,who doesn't recognize the bat symbol or the red/yellow/blue superman emblem ?...that ? 's iconic like the swoosh
  • IC's Patrick Bateman
    IC's Patrick Bateman Members Posts: 536
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Marvel is corny to me i don't like hardly any of them characters. Spiderman sucks, everything Spiderman especially the villians is wack. DC has always been far ahead of Marvel in terms of innovative writing and storytelling. DC always brought the classic adult oriented stuff from Dark Knight Returns and Lobo to Sandman and Preacher why Marvel stays pandering to kids that's why they appeal to Disney. DC universe is way more imaginative and fantastic as well which makes it all the more entertaining. Marvel stays trying to fit everything into real world demographics and that's why it doesn't work for me sorry but i have an imagination and like to see comic book lore pushed to the limits of fantasy not trying to always speak on some political ? like X-Men always does. plus Marvel has a far worst track record for movies there's no debate there. Batman '89 >>>> every Marvel movie ever made, combined. same with Superman..
  • Bcotton5
    edited October 2010
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    yeah but Batman and Superman are the #1 and # 2 superheros ever. Just by their logos alone,who doesn't recognize the bat symbol or the red/yellow/blue superman emblem ?...that ? 's iconic like the swoosh

Spiderman is just iconic as them IMO
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Marvel is corny to me i don't like hardly any of them characters. Spiderman sucks, everything Spiderman especially the villians is wack. DC has always been far ahead of Marvel in terms of innovative writing and storytelling. DC always brought the classic adult oriented stuff from Dark Knight Returns and Lobo to Sandman and Preacher why Marvel stays pandering to kids that's why they appeal to Disney. DC universe is way more imaginative and fantastic as well which makes it all the more entertaining. Marvel stays trying to fit everything into real world demographics and that's why it doesn't work for me sorry but i have an imagination and like to see comic book lore pushed to the limits of fantasy not trying to always speak on some political ? like X-Men always does. plus Marvel has a far worst track record for movies there's no debate there. Batman '89 >>>> every Marvel movie ever made, combined. same with Superman..

Thats where we differ. I prefer the more "down to earth" approach that Marvel uses instead of the perfection DC does. But it comes down to what you are looking for. And Batman 89 was a classic, but since then DC has only had one gem which was The Dark Knight and that was due to the Joker's character and not Batman's.
  • biggyboykarl
    biggyboykarl Confirm Email Posts: 319
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A JLA film would be alot better than an Avengers film.

I do like Bruce Banner and Tony Stark though.

You think Tony Stark is a rip-off of Bruce Wayne.
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options

Everyone is a rip-off of somebody. Bruce Waye/Tony Stark. Plastic Man/Reed Richards. Green Arrow/Hawkeye. Giant Man/Apache Chief.

But Bruce Wayne is the perfect detective while Stark has health issues and alcohol addiction.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited October 2010
    Options

X__DALYRiCALBANDiT__..
  • IC's Patrick Bateman
    IC's Patrick Bateman Members Posts: 536
    edited October 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Thats where we differ. I prefer the more "down to earth" approach that Marvel uses instead of the perfection DC does. But it comes down to what you are looking for. And Batman 89 was a classic, but since then DC has only had one gem which was The Dark Knight and that was due to the Joker's character and not Batman's.

and what gems have Marvel given us? i can't think of a single movie that was truly great or has classic potential. yea movies like Spiderman and Iron Man were entertaining but they were still cliche and nothing really great. we all thought the X-Men movies were decent when they came out but looking back they're actually pretty terrible. Superman, Batman '89, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Watchmen are all movies that are on a level of quality filmmaking Marvel has yet to even touch. going back to my point though it's because Marvel is always trying to appease and appeal to everyone. with movies like Batman Returns and Watchmen it's clear that DC would rather make a great artistic film then try and reach the widest audience possible. also there are other great films out there that are based on DC comics people tend to overlook like Constantine, V For Vendetta, A History of Violence and Road to Perdition.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited October 2010
    Options
    young-ice wrote: »
    marvel stomps dc.

i shall not co sign this post
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Spiderman > Batman and Superman

if youre going by the numbers and how much money the movies have made, I believe spiderman beats both