The Greatest hip hop debut of the 90s!?

Options
Ishi
Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Face Off Forum
Alot of Classic debuts dropped back in the 90s. (Illmatic ,Enta Tha Stage , Ready to Die , Doe or Die, Reasonable Doubt, Enta the Wu 36 chambers) What's yalls opinion on whats the best debut of the 90s

Comments

• gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mos Def (Black on Both Sides)
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Wow didn't think about Mos Defs first drop nice pick I feel that.
  • curt mcgirt
    curt mcgirt Members Posts: 64
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Illmatic was the best to me because it was better as a whole album. Ready 2 Die and the others like Wu-Tang were classics but you can listen to ANY song on Illmatic and not be disappointed. The others had at least one or 2 joints that were average plus Wu-Tang was a group effort so it's in a different category to me. Nas was automatically considered the King as soon as he hit the scene. BIG was creating a tremendous buzz but not enough to be called the King. They didn't really start saying that about BIG until his death and cuz Nas was losing his spark. Thats why Jay took the opportunity to go at Nas (kick a man when he down) ....my 2 cents
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ....in terms of one-person street buzz and immediate (if not long term) impact.

Although not in the same category, I just wanna shout out Redman for "Whut? Thee Album" --def. a forgotten gem. Also from the Hit Squad, and although the whole album wasnt that hot, Das EFX gotta get a quick nod just for how many people bit their stiggity-style.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1.Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
    2.Nas- Illmatic
    3.Wu Tang- 36 Chambers
  • ChuckieInDaMurderAve
    ChuckieInDaMurderAve Members Posts: 1,787 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ice Cube: AMERIKKKA'S MOST WANTED

I rest my case.
  • adagreat
    adagreat Members Posts: 679
    edited October 2010
    Options
    its dark and hell is hot_dmx that album personifide thr 90s from the mike tyson intro to the last track!!!!
  • curt mcgirt
    curt mcgirt Members Posts: 64
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    ....in terms of one-person street buzz and immediate (if not long term) impact.

Although not in the same category, I just wanna shout out Redman for "Whut? Thee Album" --def. a forgotten gem. Also from the Hit Squad, and although the whole album wasnt that hot, Das EFX gotta get a quick nod just for how many people bit their stiggity-style.
    Gotta cosign that Redman. Can't even believe I forgot that one. Definitely a 9 outta 10 for me (one of the most slept on)
  • backpackingrapper
    backpackingrapper Members Posts: 181
    edited November 2010
    Options
    dmx joint. I was like wowzers. Had everybody going "STOP drop shutemdownopenupshop!" lol
  • xRapHeadx
    xRapHeadx Members Posts: 155
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Black on Both Sides is great, but Illmatic is incredible.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i agree with most of whats posted in here esp dmx, but Ima have to rep for the south and say soul food by goodie mob. while it might not have caught peoples attention like some of the albums mentioned already it was a classic imo and their best effort.