Don't waste your time Prop 19 supporters.....Obama will still prosecute weed users

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
Hope and change is more like hope and fraud at this point..........

Eric Holder Will Prosecute Weed Users, Even if Prop 19 Passes......WOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? the American govt, 2pac remains correct

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/15/eric-holder-to-prosecute-_n_764153.html

SAN FRANCISCO — Attorney General Eric Holder says the federal government will enforce its marijuana laws in California even if voters next month make the state the first in the nation to legalize the drug.

The Justice Department strongly opposes California's Proposition 19 and remains firmly committed to enforcing the federal Controlled Substances Act in all states, Holder wrote in a letter to former chiefs of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter, dated Wednesday.

"We will vigorously enforce the CSA against those individuals and organizations that possess, manufacture or distribute marijuana for recreational use, even if such activities are permitted under state law," Holder wrote.

The attorney general also said that legalizing recreational marijuana in California would be a "significant impediment" to the government's joint efforts with state and local law enforcement to target drug traffickers, who often distribute marijuana alongside ? and other drugs.

He said the ballot measure's passage would "significantly undermine" efforts to keep California communities safe.

The ex-DEA chiefs sent a letter to Holder in August calling on the Obama administration to sue California if Proposition 19 passes. They said legalizing ? presented the same threat to federal authority as Arizona's recent immigration law that spurred a federal lawsuit.

If California voters approve the ballot measure, the state would become the first to legalize and regulate recreational ? use. Adults could possess up to one ounce of the drug and grow small gardens on private property. Local governments would decide whether to allow and tax sales of the drug.

The state has clashed with federal authorities over marijuana since 1996, when voters approved a first-of-its-kind ballot measure that allowed people to grow and use ? for medical purposes. Thirteen other states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana.

Under federal law, marijuana is still strictly illegal. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the federal government has the right to enforce its ban regardless of state law.
Story continues below
Advertisement

During the Bush administration, retail ? dispensaries across the state faced regular raids from federal anti-drug agents. Their owners were sometimes sentenced to decades in prison for drug trafficking.

Yet the medical marijuana industry still grew, and has expanded even more since Holder said last year that federal law enforcement would defer to state laws on using it for medicinal purposes.

Some legal scholars and policy analysts have questioned how much the Justice Department could really do on the ground to halt a state-sanctioned recreational ? trade.

Nearly all arrests for marijuana crimes are made at the state level. Of more than 847,000 marijuana-related arrests in 2008, for example, just over 6,300 suspects were booked by federal law enforcement, or fewer than 1 percent.

Los Angeles County's top law enforcers said Friday the federal government would still have help from them regardless of the vote's outcome on Proposition 19.

County Sheriff Lee Baca and District Attorney Steve Cooley said at a news conference that the law would be unenforceable because it is trumped by federal laws that prohibit marijuana cultivation and possession.

"We will continue as we are today regardless of whether it passes or doesn't pass," Baca said. His deputies don't and won't go after users in their homes, but public use of the drug will be targeted, he said.

A spokesman for Attorney General Jerry Brown declined to comment on how the Democratic gubernatorial candidate would respond as governor to a federal crackdown if Proposition 19 passes.

"We have to win and it has to pass before we get to answering that question," spokesman Sterling Clifford said. Brown is opposed to Proposition 19.

Meg Whitman's campaign did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment. During a recent debate, the Republican candidate for governor reiterated her strong stance against legalizing ? .

"I think this is not the right thing for our young people. It's not the right thing for our community of citizens of California, but don't ask me. Ask law enforcement."

___

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    At this point, we might as well bring a Republican back into the White House in 2012. I dont see any difference between Democrats and Republicans now......

? them all. Now I see why Michael Jordan doesnt bother to get involved in political ? . As a weed smoker himself from Chicago, he probably knew Obama was a fraud from the beginning.

Obama, you can officially suck my ? .
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Meg Whitman's campaign did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment. During a recent debate, the Republican candidate for governor reiterated her strong stance against legalizing ? .

"I think this is not the right thing for our young people. It's not the right thing for our community of citizens of California, but don't ask me. Ask law enforcement."

NO on proposition 19 !! --- Now if the youth are this countries future then why jeopardize that reality by allowing this mind altering drug to become legal? Personally I don't GIVE-a-flying-? what others think of my opinion regarding this matter either. --- NO ON PROPOSITON 19

Kids will smoke regardless....
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    little girls don't have ? who in the F do you think your fooling? icon_rofl.gif

That was real funny Slick. Extremely, stomach bursting hilarious.

Give yourself a cookie for that one.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Now who puts that joint in their hand and makes them get all stupid? OR so damn stoned they lose all sense of reality....WHO does that? who makes them sell this drug? and who makes them get caught repeatedly for selling drugs. COME on smart man answer these questions. I'm losing all sense of sympathy for the blatant stupidity of so many black folks who continue to break the law and play the victim card OR worse play that blame GAME over and over and over and over and over again and again and again on and on and on and on & on

Why is marijuana illegal yet alcohol is ok to use? Alcohol is much more dangerous to use than weed, you old fool.

Blacks use weed just as often as whites do, yet Blacks are prosecuted more and sent to jail more, for both selling and using it. Why is that?

That can't be just a coincidence. White cops would rather lock up Tyrone and Shanika for selling weed than next door neighbors Tom and Jerry.

We all know damn well there's a lot of racism in the criminal justice system, even white lawyers say this.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    of course he's going to keep prosecuting

because the ravaged Black ghettos which are still spiraling to recover via when the SCOTUS recently struck down Clinton's racist Crime Bill which focused unconstitutionally on inner-city ? sales...therefore...

marijuana is now the drug which lands most Black, male, drug-offenders in Prison...so of course he's going to continue on his Founding-Father's legacy.

As you all continue telling me, that I am wrong about how much he hates Black people.

I dont think Obama hates Black people, but I do think he's ignorant about how racist our criminal justice system is. That or he doesn't care. ? him either way.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dis ? is trying to get re-elected....its chess, not checkers...
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    dis ? is trying to get re-elected....its chess, not checkers...

I know.....being George W Bush the 2nd takes lots of political skill.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I know.....being George W Bush the 2nd takes lots of political skill.

I wouldn't call him THAT bad just yet...

George ? up ALOT of stuff....
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    I wouldn't call him THAT bad just yet...

George ? up ALOT of stuff....

He may not be THAT bad, but he's not too far off these days. He doesnt have a 43% approval for no reason. Weed would increase the economy's revenues, yet Obama wants to hate on that, despite the fact Obama himself has NO ideas at ALL to fix the economy himself. All he wants to do is deficit spending, which is nice and all, but it's gonna bankrupt the country in the long run. Revenue increasing through private markets, including some that would sell marijuana, would boost the economy a lot.

We're already losing tons of money overseas fighting invisible terrorists, ? knows we need to find a way to get some more money coming in.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    WOW you have so many excuses and Y this and that it's beyond my comprehension. BTW Cops arrest people,Judges lock people up, GET ready I'm gonna say it again if Tyrone and Shanika or whomever hasn't got the smarts and keeps getting caught, WHO'S fault is that? Just maybe the courts should be filled with black judges so these poor stupid black folks can get some relief from all these harsh marijuana laws? huh? YEAH that will solve all of these fools problems....SURE THANG! image what them fools will do if and when it does become legal since there so damn stupid now & don't even try to be discrete about their usage.

When cops are constantly circling around the block looking for people to lock up, some people are gonna get locked up eventually. I've been smoking trees for 8 years now, and I've never been caught. A small percentage of Blacks will ever get locked up in their lifetime, so stop painting wide brushes.

When our RACIST criminal justice system is eager to lock up Blacks for crimes that they will let Whites get away from, something is wrong. Studies have shown that even when whites and blacks are locked up for the same crime, with similar records, blacks will STILL get longer jail times than whites.

Yep, the drug laws in this country are biased against Blacks and minorities......don't make me bring up sources and make you look even more stupid than you seem right now.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And we all know that a Black man with a clean record has the same chance of getting a job as a White man with a felony, lol......imagine a Black guy with a possession charge.

Reverend Wright is being proven right all the time. I salute that man.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My good old common sense won't allow for such stupidity. Seriously how much sense does it take to realize that smoking weed and doing it openly isn't gonna win you any consolations with the police,let alone the courts. FYI WHO told you life was supposed to be fair? at least you ain't a boy named sue.

Weed being illegal is only part of the problem, the bigger problem is that Blacks get locked up LONGER and face harsher fines for smoking trees compared to whites, why is that so ? hard for you to understand?

Weed being legalized would solve this problem going on, but even more importantly, it would revitalize this horrible economy we're all in now. If you can't see that, than what are your plans to help improve the economy????
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm done making excuses for Obama.

But as much as I talk ? . Soon as I see the GOP candidate of 2012 my ass will probably be right back in the Obama corner SMH

Im sick of voting for the lesser of two evils.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think the thread title is bad advice. If you're in California and support ending Marijuana Prohibition, you should try and get this thing passed. If people allow themselves to be discouraged by the White House's backpedaling on the issue, and therefor don't bother to vote for this measure and let it fail by a big margin, you're shooting yourself in the foot. If this thing passes, it'll bring a lot of publicity to the issue and might create something of a national dialogue about what Obama is doing, as well as about marijuana laws in general. If goes down in flames, the only response will be "eh, people weren't ready for this anyway".
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Understanding the problem and solutions to the problems aren't one in the same.

JOBS will improve this economy and that's what our so-called leaders are supposed to do,NOT legalizing marijuana on the federal level. ALSO ending those conflicts in AGANHASTAIN & other areas of the ME would help tremendously. SINCE your so adamant about the legalization of marijuana allow me to ask you just how much revenues will be generated from said process and what's the down side e.g. when those funds aren't used for there intended purposes.

My point exactly, weed being legalized will create JOBS, you know, jobs for processing weed, growing weed, selling weed, and using it for creative purposes. ? can be used to make clothing and some scientists have even said it can be used as a form of oil if its processed right.

I cant say for sure how much money it would generate for our economy, but judging on how the drug dealers on my block are doing, people would make a KILLING selling it. I would guess at least billions of dollars a year, since that's how much Mexican and Jamaican cartels are making selling it.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I think the thread title is bad advice. If you're in California and support ending Marijuana Prohibition, you should try and get this thing passed. If people allow themselves to be discouraged by the White House's backpedaling on the issue, and therefor don't bother to vote for this measure and let it fail by a big margin, you're shooting yourself in the foot. If this thing passes, it'll bring a lot of publicity to the issue and might create something of a national dialogue about what Obama is doing, as well as about marijuana laws in general. If goes down in flames, the only response will be "eh, people weren't ready for this anyway".

There's a lot of truth to what you just said right here, I can't even front........but considering we have the 3rd term of George W Bush in office now (with similar poll numbers), we all know damn well Obama isn't going to budge on this issue. He's a fake, a fraud, and a ? phony, Obama will NOT do anything to help legalize weed. Ever.

If people want to vote for Prop 19, go ahead.....I'm just saying Obama won't listen to you.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    I'm done making excuses for Obama.

But as much as I talk ? . Soon as I see the GOP candidate of 2012 my ass will probably be right back in the Obama corner SMH

I think most of us here are still gonna vote for the George W Bush the 2nd in 2012, but only because Republicans want to privatize Social Security, go to war with Iran, and cut even more jobs while supporting even more tax cuts (which will bankrupt us soon, ? , we're already bankrupt).

Obama is a ? ass ? if I've ever seen one, but he's OUR ? ass ? . SMH at this political system. I'll vote for Obama with an oxygen mask on, just so I dont pass out from disappointment and disgust.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kingblaze stay actin surprised that Obama ain't legalize it
    Darxwell wrote: »

not me

Castro >>>>>>>>> ?
  • Swiffness!
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think the thread title is bad advice. If you're in California and support ending Marijuana Prohibition, you should try and get this thing passed.

this
    White House's backpedaling on the issue

you have to support something first before you can backpedal on it
  • Swiffness!
    edited October 2010
    Options
    and finally, when it comes to legalization........let's keep it real, weed is already de facto decriminalized. ALOT of city cops will simply ignore public weed smoking. Medicinal Weed has created large marijuana industries in several states. A District Attorney once told my ? straight up that he would NEVER take a weed case under 20 grams to trial because "it's a waste of my time". You catch a possession case as a first offender you'll get sentenced to "rehab". Philly changed their laws so that a misdemeanor weed possession is handled by the same court that processes public drunkenness and unruly Eagles fans. Other cities will likely follow suit. Cali has reduced weed possession to a parking ticket.

I used to get all scared and paranoid about THE LAW when I smoked as a teenager.....now I be havin friendly conversations with the cops when i got a half ounce in my pocket. Sheeeit, I've blazed with off-duty cops. Only real difference between alcohol and weed prohibition is that alcohol was outlawed quick as ? and thus repealed quick as ? . Weed was outlawed slowly. Makes sense it'll be legalized slowly.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    and finally, when it comes to legalization........let's keep it real, weed is already de facto decriminalized. ALOT of city cops will simply ignore public weed smoking. Medicinal Weed has created large marijuana industries in several states. A District Attorney once told my ? straight up that he would NEVER take a weed case under 20 grams to trial because "it's a waste of my time". You catch a possession case as a first offender you'll get sentenced to "rehab". Philly changed their laws so that a misdemeanor weed possession is handled by the same court that processes public drunkenness and unruly Eagles fans. Other cities will likely follow suit. Cali has reduced weed possession to a parking ticket.

I used to get all scared and paranoid about THE LAW when I smoked as a teenager.....now I be havin friendly conversations with the cops when i got a half ounce in my pocket. Sheeeit, I've blazed with off-duty cops. Only real difference between alcohol and weed prohibition is that alcohol was outlawed quick as ? and thus repealed quick as ? . Weed was outlawed slowly. Makes sense it'll be legalized slowly.

Why does it have to get legalized slowly though? California has a chance to do it RIGHT NOW and Obama is getting in the way of progress and a state making money for itself.

Does Obama want California to be independent of federal funding at some point? Or does he want states to constantly ask him for debt increasing stimulus dollars??

I'm starting to wonder if Obama REALLY wants to lower the deficit. He won't end the expensive wars in the Middle East, and he won't let a state make extra money for itself.

This "change" ? is getting wack now. I always thought Obama was open minded, I see he's not now. I do applaud many STATES being more lenient on weed now. SMH at Obama continuing to be a hard ass.
  • Swiffness!
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why does it have to get legalized slowly though?

Because we live in the real world. Legalization movements been poppin since the 70s. You late. After three decades support has gone from what, 20 percent to 40 percent? Hate to break it to you but there ain't gonna be a NATIONAL supermajority supporting legalization for a good while. Alcohol prohibition happened QUICK - we're talking a total of like 6 years from "Hey let's get a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT outlawing ? " to prohibition being the law of the land. 10 years pass, Great Depression hits, Gov't repeals quick as hell to get that ? tax money back. That is fast, buddy. Compare with weed which was gradually outlawed state-by-state (starting with CALIFORNIA in 1913) and culminated in that ridiculous Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. State by state. Then Federal action as public support builds. This starting to sound familiar?

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5ieXw28ZUpg/SaHdPIn7W9I/AAAAAAAAA9o/bKAGrEwC6Eg/s400/? .PNG[/IMG]
    California has a chance to do it RIGHT NOW and Obama is getting in the way of progress and a state making money for itself.

Yeah. Know who else is "getting in the way"? Is Jerry Brown supporting Prop 19? NO. Senator Boxer? NO. Senator Feinstein? ? NO, she's actually chairing the "No on Prop 19" campaign.

Peep - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_%282010%29#Support

....and note how NO *current* politician holding office is supporting Prop 19, outside of a few Dem congressmen in superliberal districts, like 2 (TWO!) state level reps, 1 mayor, and a few assorted local level pols. Face it, no relevant politician wants to touch this ? until it becomes alot more popular than it is.

Prop 19 defying expectations at the polls might begin to change this. Hence why the thread title is mad counterproductive.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Because we live in the real world. Legalization movements been poppin since the 70s. You late. After three decades support has gone from what, 20 percent to 40 percent? Hate to break it to you but there ain't gonna be a NATIONAL supermajority supporting legalization for a good while. Alcohol prohibition happened QUICK - we're talking a total of like 6 years from "Hey let's get a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT outlawing ? " to prohibition being the law of the land. 10 years pass, Great Depression hits, Gov't repeals quick as hell to get that ? tax money back. That is fast, buddy. Compare with weed which was gradually outlawed state-by-state (starting with CALIFORNIA in 1913) and culminated in that ridiculous Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. State by state. Then Federal action as public support builds. This starting to sound familiar?

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5ieXw28ZUpg/SaHdPIn7W9I/AAAAAAAAA9o/bKAGrEwC6Eg/s400/? .PNG[/IMG]

Yeah. Know who else is "getting in the way"? Is Jerry Brown supporting Prop 19? NO. Senator Boxer? NO. Senator Feinstein? ? NO, she's actually chairing the "No on Prop 19" campaign.

Peep - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_%282010%29#Support

....and note how NO *current* politician holding office is supporting Prop 19, outside of a few Dem congressmen in superliberal districts, like 2 (TWO!) state level reps, 1 mayor, and a few assorted local level pols. Face it, no relevant politician wants to touch this ? until it becomes alot more popular than it is.

Prop 19 defying expectations at the polls might begin to change this. Hence why the thread title is mad counterproductive.

Great post, I can't front, but Obama could HELP PUSH legalization by telling Eric Holder to let state law stand on its own two feet. By telling California that the Obama administration will still prosecute weed users EVEN if Prop 19 passes, Eric Holder and Obama are NOT helping.

I understand most other politicians don't support legalization, but Obama can take advantage of a former surgeon general, Joycelyn Elders, supporting legalization of weed.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/18/former.surgeon.general.marijuana/index.html

---(CNN) -- Former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders told CNN Sunday she supports legalizing marijuana.

The trend-setting state of California is voting next month on a ballot initiative to legalize ? , also known as Proposition 19. The measure would legalize recreational use in the state, though federal officials have said they would continue to enforce drug laws in California if the initiative is approved.

"What I think is horrible about all of this, is that we criminalize young people. And we use so many of our excellent resources ... for things that aren't really causing any problems," said Elders. "It's not a toxic substance."

Supporters of California's Prop. 19 say it would raise revenue and cut the cost of enforcement, while opponents point to drug's harmful side-effects.

So with the former surgeon general giving Obama and Prop 19 supporters cover, it's unconscionable (did I spell that right?) for the Obama administration to still stand in the way of progress.

Presidents have massive power, Obama can make himself a hero to progressives and give faith to Prop 19 supporters by telling Cali that it will abide by California law. The thread title is no more counterproductive than Obama's people telling the country it doesn't give a ? what Prop 19 supporters think. Obama had no problem passing health care reform, although it wasn't popular at the time, so why go against ? legalization?? Why get in the ? way?
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Besides, what difference will it make if Prop 19 supporters turn up to vote in huge numbers, win, and the feds still continue raids in weed shops?

That's the definition of counterproductive. My thread title is only being realistic. Obama doesn't care what Prop 19 supporters think anyway. He'd rather let California wallow in its own poverty and debt.

Like most other politicians from California. The country really. Ah well, let the dealers deal. I'm getting my smoke on tonight anyway.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    There's a lot of truth to what you just said right here, I can't even front........but considering we have the 3rd term of George W Bush in office now (with similar poll numbers), we all know damn well Obama isn't going to budge on this issue. He's a fake, a fraud, and a ? phony, Obama will NOT do anything to help legalize weed. Ever.

If people want to vote for Prop 19, go ahead.....I'm just saying Obama won't listen to you.

This isn't about getting Obama to support it. Making a change takes a lot of time and a lot of resilience. We're very likely talking about a fight that will last long past the end of Obama's presidency, whether he is re-elected or not. You need to first get a national dialogue going on the issue, and passing this measure in defiance of the federal government is a good way to aid that effort. Practically speaking, it's at least the state cops wouldn't be coming after marijuana. Practically every progressive policy enacted by the federal government was being discussed and supported by political activists and organizers for DECADES before it became a reality. Being patient is hard....trust me, I know, but if you want to see this thing ever happen in your lifetime, you can't be discouraged by the fact that it might take another 20 years of persistence before it happens.