Hip Hip is not a movement?

Options
ez_0429
ez_0429 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Social Lounge
I was watching the Hip Hop Awards last night and enjoyed the part when Kanye, Common Sense and a few other rappers was spitting. Didn't really get to much into the performances being that I don't really keep up with many of these Hip Hop artists nowadays. And I didn't even bother to look at the top ten rappers in the 21st century. But what really striked me is when Mr Bently stood up with some lady on stage and flat out said that Hip Hop IS NOT A MOVEMENT. I believe he said "the Black Panther Party was a movement, the Civil Rights was a movement but Hip Hop is not a movement." This had me thinking because I always considered Hip Hop a movement and still do but I will give my reasons later. I would like to hear from you guys do you think Hip Hop is a movement? And please explain why.

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's not a movement. It's a culture. Movements are geared towards addressing specific issues in society.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    REAL hip hop is a movement. ? Pop is not a movement. Dead Prez is a movement. Lil Wayne is NOT a movement.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Modern day Hip Hop is a bowel movement.
  • Moeskezli
    Moeskezli Members Posts: 103
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For him to make such a broad statement like that is upsetting. I mean Fonzworth is barely even Hip-Hop his damn self. Hip-Hop has the potential to be any and everything the people allow it to be. In Senegal, Hip-Hop is a MOVEMENT, because its aggressively demanding change and raising the consciousness of the youth that take part in it. In America, Hip-Hop is a less of a culture and more of a product or a good. Hip-Hop is a TOOL over here, to manipulate the people into accepting things that would otherwise be foreign to them. It began as a culture and expanding into a movement but somewhere along the line the warrior spirit died.
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    none of it is a movement. its a music genre
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If you want to get technical with it hip-hop is actually a sub culture of primarily African American and Latin inner city youth....
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    He's right and it is NOT a culture either.Cultures have values,discipline and morals which Hip-Hop/Rap does not have.It's just black people exploiting themselves and others for profit at the expense of their own dignity.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    none of it is a movement. its a music genre

Maybe to someone who is simple minded.

And Step wrote: »

ROFL Don't insult bowels like that, bro.
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Moeskezli wrote: »
    For him to make such a broad statement like that is upsetting. I mean Fonzworth is barely even Hip-Hop his damn self. Hip-Hop has the potential to be any and everything the people allow it to be. In Senegal, Hip-Hop is a MOVEMENT, because its aggressively demanding change and raising the consciousness of the youth that take part in it. In America, Hip-Hop is a less of a culture and more of a product or a good. Hip-Hop is a TOOL over here, to manipulate the people into accepting things that would otherwise be foreign to them. It began as a culture and expanding into a movement but somewhere along the line the warrior spirit died.

I agree with this^^^. It seems the days of KRS One and Public Enemy are gone unless you look for the obscure and underground music.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »

no, i actually feel pretty good after a bowel movement.
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    hiphop now is only for the people who get paid to be a part of it. if u aint a rapper or an owner....

and the masses care so much and will live and die over it. they showed yall, in ya face, that they can push a product by the name of wacka flacka, and you guys will still eat it up and support.

its a slap in the face.

the next new big time rapper name will be "idiotswillbuy my music."

and guess what? people will defend him and tell us how nice he is and how we dont understand because we old school.