Police ? student athlete

Options
BlaqueHoney01
BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Social Lounge
I didn't see this posted, but if it has, sorry. The first article is all from the police point of view.

State police join probe of fatal police shooting of college student Updated 1d ago | Comments 395 | Recommend 7 E-mail | Save | Print |

Yahoo! Buzz Add to Mixx Facebook TwitterMore
Fark Digg Reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedInSubscribe
myYahoo iGoogleMore
Netvibes myAOL
By Ben Rubin, Colin Gustafson and Shawn Cohen, The (Westchester, N.Y.) Journal News

MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. — New York state police have joined the investigation into the killing of a Pace University football player by officers outside a suburban bar.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno said at a news conference Monday that the major case unit of the state police and Westchester County crime scene experts have joined the probe.

The student, Danroy Henry, 20, of Easton, Mass., was allegedly trying to speed away from the scene as police arrived and was shot at by two police officers — one was standing in the way of his car and the other was clinging to the hood.

During the incident, two police officers sustained minor injuries and Henry's front-seat passenger suffered a minor gunshot wound. All three were treated and released from Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y.

"It's horrendous, it's something that I would hope would never have happened here, but unfortunately it did and we'll proceed with a very, very thorough investigation," Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno said at a morning press conference.

Alagno would not release several details of the incident, including the names of the officers involved, the names of Henry's two passengers and how many shots were fired. He described the two officers who shot at Henry as veterans with at least five years' experience.

According to a Mount Pleasant police news release, several Mount Pleasant town and Pleasantville, N.Y., village police officers responded at around 1:20 a.m. to a disturbance at a bar at a corner of a strip mall that is a short drive from Pace's campus.

More than 150 people were at the front of the bar and in the parking lot, where sporadic fights broke out even after police arrived, Alagno said. Police approached Henry's vehicle, which was parked in a fire lane. When an officer knocked on the car window, Henry sped off, police said.

A Pleasantville officer tried stopping the vehicle, but Henry accelerated into him and the cop ended up on the hood of the car, police said.

While still clinging onto the hood as the car continued to accelerate, the Pleasantville officer shot at Henry, the release stated. The vehicle continued down the fire lane, moving directly toward another Mount Pleasant officer, who also fired at the vehicle, which finally hit a Mount Pleasant police cruiser and came to a stop.

Alagno said investigators believe the Pleasantville officer fired the fatal shot.

Henry and his front-seat passenger were transported to Westchester Medical Center, where Henry was pronounced dead and the male passenger was treated for a "minor gunshot wound," the release stated. The passenger was not a Pace student, a Pace spokesman said.

Alagno said he spoke with Henry's parents after the incident.

"They're extremely distraught. I expressed my deepest sympathies for their loss," he said.

The Mount Pleasant officer who fired at Henry will be put on administrative duty, Alagno said, but he added that none of the other officers were yet facing modified duty or suspension.

Pace released a statement Sunday, saying, "We extend the deepest sympathies of our community to Mr. Henry's family and friends. We are working with the police investigation and as appropriate will share more information when it becomes available."

A campus-only vigil was planned for 9 p.m. Sunday night.

Pace freshman Kelly Van Wort said she was leaving the bar with friends when she heard what she said sounded like four gunshots.

At first, she said, "I didn't think it was gunshots, I just thought I was hearing things. ... But the minute we left, people started calling and texting like, 'Oh my ? , they just shot Danroy,' freaking out."

She said Henry had been a designated driver.

"I don't know why they shot him at all," she said. "I figure when cops shoot at somebody, there's a reason for it, like to get somebody to back off. But to shoot him four times, that's a little unnecessary. ... Someone told me he hit one of the cops. I don't think someone deserves to die for that."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-17-student-killed_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Comments

• BlaqueHoney01
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Passenger in Danroy Henry death: 'We did nothing to provoke what happened'

THORNWOOD — They were high school buddies bantering in a car after competing against each other in a college homecoming game.

Pace University football player Danroy "D.J." Henry was in the driver's seat with Brandon ? by his side, joking about their futures, as they waited in a fire lane for another friend outside Finnegan's Grill.

A police officer tapped on the windshield, and Henry drove off. Seconds later, after the car struck two officers, police opened fire, leaving Henry dead and ? wounded. "We were just enjoying each other's company, laughing and making jokes, talking about how we were going to be at each other's weddings, get the most out of life," ? told The Journal News on Monday. "Unfortunately, he's not going to be there to experience all those things with me."
    ? , whose arm was grazed by a bullet, said the shootings, which occurred early Sunday as police from Mount Pleasant and Pleasantville tried to control a rowdy crowd of more than 150 students outside the bar, were unjustified. Four Pace football players were arrested in the emotionally charged aftermath.

"He didn't and we didn't deserve anything that happened that night," said ? , 20. "We did nothing to provoke what happened. It was just an unjust situation that we happened to be in."

The Pleasantville police officer who is believed to have fired the fatal shot was identified Monday as Aaron Hess, 33, a former New York City officer on the local force since 2003. Mount Pleasant Police Officer Ronald Beckley, a 30-year veteran, also fired at Henry's car at the Town Center strip mall Sunday morning.

The officers were identified Monday at a Mount Pleasant police news conference, where authorities also identified the two other occupants of the car: ? , who attends and plays football for Stonehill College, and Desmond Hinds, 21, of Stamford, Conn., another Pace player.

The investigation into Mount Pleasant's first officer-involved shooting in three decades — and the first fatal one — now involves four law enforcement agencies interviewing witnesses, examining physical evidence and trying to determine the exact sequence of events that ended with Henry's death.
    At some point, the investigation will most likely be turned over to a grand jury, which will decide whether the shootings were justified.

Friends who were with Henry before the shooting said he was the designated driver that night and was sober. He had been hanging out at the bar after attending two previous townhouse gatherings on campus."He was with me the whole night and wasn't even drinking," said Christine Leone, a Pace junior.
    ? , whose Massachusetts team beat Pace on Saturday, was also there. After leaving the bar, ? , Henry and Hinds hopped in the car to wait for another friend.
    "D.J. started moving because he knew he was in the 'no parking' zone," ? 's mother, Donna Parks, said in an interview from her home in South Easton, Mass., where she is caring for her injured son. "As he was moving out, all of a sudden, another police officer jumps from behind a cruiser with gun drawn. D.J. didn't have time to stop, and hit him. Then they just started shooting."

Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno said he won't comment on specific s while the case is under investigation.

He did say that Henry's car took off immediately after Mount Pleasant Officer Ronald Gagnon tapped on the window.

"I don't believe there was any communication between the officer and the driver," Alagno said. He said authorities are trying to put together a chronology, saying they don't yet know, for instance, which officer fired first.
    "This is going to be a long, hard process," Alagno said. "It's not going to end any time soon."

Alagno described the scene early Sunday as chaotic. Police received a report at 1:19 a.m. of a disturbance at Finnegan's Grill. Before five other officers arrived, Hess came upon the scene, finding throngs of young people, most of them Pace students, crowding outside the bar.

The bar manager had ordered everyone out after fighting erupted outside.

Gagnon approached Henry's gray Nissan Altima, which was stopped in the fire lane, and knocked on the window. Henry then drove off, police said. Hess tried stopping the vehicle, but was struck and ended up on the hood, police said. Mount Pleasant Officer Carl Castagna was also hit, by Henry's side mirror.
    As the crowd looked on, the vehicle headed toward Beckley, police said, and both Beckley and Hess shot their .40-caliber handguns.

Henry's car stopped after crashing into a Mount Pleasant cruiser in the fire lane.

Alagno said police handcuffed Henry briefly after the shooting, as was standard procedure, but took the cuffs off when they realized his condition. Once the restraints were off, he said, "officers immediately began life-sustaining measures," including the use of a defibrillator.
    Henry was pronounced dead at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.

Soon after, police from various departments arrived to help quell the fights; four of Henry's teammates were arrested.

Pace quarterback Joseph Romanick, 21, was charged with criminal mischief, a felony, accused of smashing the window of an empty storefront. Yves Delpeche, 22, was shot with a stun gun after he refused orders to step back, county police said. Delpeche, who was taken to Westchester Medical Center for treatment, was charged with resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration, both misdemeanors, and disorderly conduct, a violation. Joseph Garcia, 22, and Daniel Parker, 22, also were charged with disorderly conduct.

Hess was treated for leg injuries and Castagna was treated for a hip injury. Both officers and ? were released from care Sunday morning. Two other officers, including Beckley, were treated for trauma.

? had known Henry for seven years. Both went to Oliver Ames High School in Easton, Mass.

"I won't be able to play football for a while, but I'm all right," he said.

He has retained a lawyer, who has advised him not to speak in detail about the incident.

Meanwhile, at the Pace campus, teammate Jason Washington, a running back, could not hold back his tears as he spoke about Henry.

"I just want his family to know he was a stand-up person," Washington said.

"He always did the right thing," Washington continued. "It's just remarkable how you cannot say one bad thing about D.J."

Freshman quarterback Ryan Kasdorf, whose locker was next to Henry's, said he was in "complete shock" when he heard about the shootings.

"I'm still having a tough time believing what happened," he said. "Earlier that day we were all on the football field, playing and having fun. And just a couple of hours later, he's gone. It's absolutely crazy."

He said Henry "was one of the nicest kids on the team, always smiling, always having a great time, just always a fun person to be around."

http://www.lohud.com/article/201010190337
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I hate ? like this. You'll never know what really happened. You can't really trust the cops because they are going to stick up for each other and never admit wrongdoing in a situation like this. You can't trust the victims because they will always try to paint themselves in an innocent light. Even when they are innocent, they'll try to make things seem even cleaner than they were. On top of all that, none of the truly independent witnesses will even step up and give the true account. So ? like this always turns into a mess.
  • Migz.
    Migz. Members Posts: 590
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I hate ? like this. You'll never know what really happened. You can't really trust the cops because they are going to stick up for each other and never admit wrongdoing in a situation like this. You can't trust the victims because they will always try to paint themselves in an innocent light. Even when they are innocent, they'll try to make things seem even cleaner than they were. On top of all that, none of the truly independent witnesses will even step up and give the true account. So ? like this always turns into a mess.

agreed..the whole story already sounds confusing..but rip to him..and prayers to his family and friends..
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its pretty much commonplace that in any cop shooting story, i will always empathize with the victim and accuse the cop of wrongdoing. A "guilty until proven innocent" tag line if u will. and in this case, its no different
  • BlaqueHoney01
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm having problems with people saying this kid TRIED to ? the two cops by hitting them intentionally. I read comments saying he got what he deserved. Now, what sober person is going to try to ? cops by running them over when they know they didn't do anything wrong. Then why did the police officer jump out in front of the car and on the hood?? I just have a feeling this case will end up the way all other cases have where cops killed our black youth or used excessive force.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well as with most stories, both sides are probably BS. I doubt the victims were completely on the up and up. I also doubt the cops did this by the book and were warranted in what they did. At the end of the day, cops are the ones trained to deal with these situations so I believe the burden lies on them. I just hate it when people on the outside, like the mother in this case, give the story like an absolute when they weren't even there.