Franchises Should Not Release Every Year

Options
Chillin&Postin
Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
edited October 2010 in IllGaming
most of them should just be patched

sports games most of the time are jus yearly roster updates with a few new gimmicks and sometimes they change the control scheme that you have mastered

FPS these days are jus clones of each other with different maps

and RPG's(like fallout new vegas) can really jus be considered expansion packs

they really dont need to put out a new title every year and charge us 60 bucks... they can release them every 2-4 years and jus charge 20-30 bucks for whatever the new content is. wether that be every 3 months or every year,i think patches would be better than stopping the development cycle every year to put out a new disk that fans will criticize.

i know people that are still playing NBA 2k9 & 2k10 and jus gettin updated rosters..why??? because they feel its no use gettin the new one when 10 is the controll scheme they are comfortable with.

Comments

• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    most of them should just be patched

sports games most of the time are jus yearly roster updates with a few new gimmicks and sometimes they change the control scheme that you have mastered

FPS these days are jus clones of each other with different maps

and RPG's(like fallout new vegas) can really jus be considered expansion packs

they really dont need to put out a new title every year and charge us 60 bucks... they can release them every 2-4 years and jus charge 20-30 bucks for whatever the new content is. wether that be every 3 months or every year,i think patches would be better than stopping the development cycle every year to put out a new disk that fans will criticize.

i know people that are still playing NBA 2k9 & 2k10 and jus gettin updated rosters..why??? because they feel its no use gettin the new one when 10 is the controll scheme they are comfortable with.

very good theory.. but at the end of the day is MONEY MAKE THE WORLD TURN! lol.. ? its like gas prices.. no matter how high they get, yo punk ass gone still buy gas, and just complain about it later.. they make games annually just to bring in some more revenue... but u gotta really blame tyhat ? on big publishers like activision and EA.. cuz its mainly just sports games thats gettin over.. and ALL of activision's products.. ? gone get fed up and stop coppin a COD err year.. im tryna warn ppl mane.. COD bout to be the modern day tony hawk and Guitar Hero... Over saturated as ? ..
  • kanggoodie
    edited October 2010
    Options
    also, ppl talk ? about HALO and GOW (gears), but they dont come out every year.. the developers take their time to make a quality product, insted of just trying to make a quick buck.. like for real.. how long do ? be waiting for Final Fantasies and Grand Theft Auto's to come out? think about it. ;) N/H
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    very good theory.. but at the end of the day is MONEY MAKE THE WORLD TURN! lol.. ? its like gas prices.. no matter how high they get, yo punk ass gone still buy gas, and just complain about it later.. they make games annually just to bring in some more revenue... but u gotta really blame tyhat ? on big publishers like activision and EA.. cuz its mainly just sports games thats gettin over.. and ALL of activision's products.. ? gone get fed up and stop coppin a COD err year.. im tryna warn ppl mane.. COD bout to be the modern day tony hawk and Guitar Hero... Over saturated as ? ..

wowwwwwww

forgot all about tony hawk. that used to be the ? up until part 4...then they jus went and got crazy with it.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    cosign, I would probably still be checking for COD if they were every other year, but this ? is just so played out and wack to me now.

It finally caught up to Guitar Hero and I see happening to COD soon

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6282111.html

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock sells under 100,000

* By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
    * Posted Oct 15, 2010 12:01 pm PT

Rhythm game debut strikes sour note, underscores slide for both franchise and genre.

In September, gamers answered the age-old question of "Are you ready to rock?" Judging by US sales figures from the month, the answer was an apathetic shrug of the shoulders.

The stage is abuzz, but is anybody in the audience?

The industry-tracking NPD Group yesterday released sales data for the month of September, revealing that the Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 versions of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock sold fewer than 100,000 copies combined. Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter had projected the game to sell 100,000 copies earlier this week.

"September music genre sales declined to $16 million from $116 million a year ago, facing tough comps from the launch of Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 last September," Pachter said in a note to investors today. "Year-to-date music genre sales are only $158 million, compared to $506 million for the first nine months of 2009, accounting for over three-quarters of the total industry decline so far this year."

Last year, Guitar Hero 5 sold 499,000 copies in its debut month, despite being part of a saturated slate of seven Guitar Hero games to hit stores that year; Warriors of Rock and DJ Hero 2 are the only games in the franchise hitting shelves this year.

In 2008, the US rhythm game genre pulled in $1.66 billion in retail sales. Last year, it plummeted to $876 million. That $780 million shortfall accounted for the majority of the overall industry's slide for the year. Combined PC, console, and handheld software sales for 2009 were down roughly $1.2 billion for the year to $10.5 billion, according to NPD figures.

Fortunately, the flagging genre's hopes aren't entirely hinging on the performance of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Activision's DJ Hero 2 will be released next week, with MTV Games' Rock Band 3 hitting shelves the week after that.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    cosign, I would probably still be checking for COD if they were every other year, but this ? is just so played out and wack to me now.

It finally caught up to Guitar Hero and I see happening to COD soon

I highly doubt that. This generation, and Americans in general, are primarily into shooters, especially FPS'
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    also, ppl talk ? about HALO and GOW (gears), but they dont come out every year.. the developers take their time to make a quality product, insted of just trying to make a quick buck.. like for real.. how long do ? be waiting for Final Fantasies and Grand Theft Auto's to come out? think about it. ;) N/H

That is true. That's why I'm surprised that AC: Brotherhood is dropping so soon.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    AC brotherhood isnt really a sequel to Assassins Creed though. the real AC3 is nto being made yet (at least from what ive heard)
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    AC brotherhood isnt really a sequel to Assassins Creed though. the real AC3 is nto being made yet (at least from what ive heard)

That's true. Realised its the same storyline from AC2, which leads me to wonder just how long its going to be.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, eventually the over-all quality of the game and/or genre gets ? when released on a yearly basis.....maybe the quality ain't ? but(hell the over-all quality might be great) but if it lacks diversity etc the fun stops.

But it can depend on the genre, Fifa for example is da ? . Pro Evo used to be the ? every year lol.

The best games or those 3/4 year projects, when developers push the limit of the consoles/their abilities.

problem is that it will take years for sequals to come, I'm still waiting on a new thief, jade empire, elders scrolls etc hell they better be working on a new demon;s souls
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    That's true. Realised its the same storyline from AC2, which leads me to wonder just how long its going to be.

Yeah brotherhood is in Roma, Ubi Soft seems to put the focus on (online) multiplayer modes which actually look quite cool, I don't think the single player will be that long. Roma is huge though so who knows
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Yeah brotherhood is in Roma, Ubi Soft seems to put the focus on (online) multiplayer modes which actually look quite cool, I don't think the single player will be that long. Roma is huge though so who knows

I'm not complaining - been a fan of the series since the first one (even with the complaints). AC2 was my personal favourite game last year.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i just saw the gamestop commercial w/ the harlequinn. game looks fun, but i aint even finished AC1 yet lol

does ac2 have a goty edition so i can get the dlc included???
  • kanggoodie
    edited October 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    I highly doubt that. This generation, and Americans in general, are primarily into shooters, especially FPS'

what you aren't realizing is that activision has already givin the COD franchise the "GO" to start over saturating... its not gone only be FPS.. they gone make platforms, and RTS, and etc... but i can't lie, i would cop a COD that was RTS... imma look for the article to post in here
  • kanggoodie
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sledgehammer Games has announced that the development company and Activision will be putting out a Call of Duty game in 2011. The shocking news behind it is they are stating that they will make CoD‘s FPS become NLA (and to that we say WTF).

Visceral Games former bosses Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey (of Dead Space fame) will be behind the reigns in this new project.

“In addition to continued catalog sales, new down-loadable content from Infinity Ward and a new Call of Duty release, we are excited about the opportunity to bring the franchise to new geographies, genres and players.” says Mike Griffith, President and CEO of Activision. “2010 will be another important year for the Call of Duty franchise,”

With the announcement of a CoD game that heads away from the franchises golden goose, and the firing of leads such as Jason West and Vince Zampella, it forces all of us prestige junkies to ponder over what will become of Infinity Ward. As of this exact moment in time, it seems that IW will continue to work on MW2 DLC and promotion. What ever becomes of IW I hope the best and MacTavish-ly salute you all.

Activision's New Plans For Call of Duty Include New Developer, New Genres
    Publisher Activision announced today new "strategic plans" for the Call of Duty franchise, announcing a new developer for the shooter franchise and confirming the departure of key Infinity Ward staffers.

Activision announced it will form a "dedicated [Call of Duty] business unit that will bring together its various new brand initiatives with focused, dedicated resources around the world." It plans to expand the Call of Duty brand "with the same focus seen in its Blizzard Entertainment business unit" placing a focus on "high-margin digital online content and further the brand as the leading action entertainment franchise in new geographies, new genres and with new digital business models."

As previously announced, Activision will release a new Call of Duty game from series co-developer Treyarch, responsible for Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty: World At War, this fall. Developer Infinity Ward is still scheduled to release two downloadable map packs for Modern Warfare 2 this year.

In 2011, Activision will release another new game in the Call of Duty series from an unspecified developer. It also announced plans for another Call of Duty-based title from developer Sledgehammer Games, the recently formed studio lead by Dead Space creative leads Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey. The Sledgehammer-helmed title will "extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre."

The previously mentioned Call of Duty business unit will be led by Philip Earl, who currently runs Activision Publishing's Asia Pacific region. Activision Publishing's Steve Pearce, chief technology officer, and Steve Ackrich, head of production, will lead Infinity Ward on an interim basis. Former studios heads Jason West and Vince Zampella are no longer with Infinity Ward, officially.

"Activision doesn't comment on HR matters related to its studios," said reps when asked for comment about the departures and allegations of insubordination. The two former Infinity Ward heads are said to have butted heads with their publisher creatively over the direction of the Call of Duty franchise.

Activision Publishing also announced that the company is "in discussions with a select number of partners to bring the franchise to Asia, one of the fastest growing regions for online multiplayer games in the world."

now do u believe me joshuaboy?
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    now do u believe me joshuaboy?

There goes the neighbourhood