"Rent is too dmn high" guy's rent is actually low and hasn't risen in years

Options
KTULU IS BACK
KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Social Lounge
(also, coincidentally, he blames THE JEWS)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/rent_just_too_damn_low_bsE5JAsyBmBzwyHNT05MBK

His rent isn't that damn high!

Jimmy McMillan, the candidate running for governor under the Rent Is Too Damn High Party banner, who stole the show in Monday's debate, hasn't had a rent increase in at least five years in his one-bedroom Brooklyn apartment.

The rent at his Flatbush abode has been frozen at a very reasonable $800 since 2005. That's a better deal than rent control.

"The rents should go up but they haven't. People don't have that kind of money," said Viola Hampton, building manager at the three-unit Nostrand Avenue walkup where McMillan has lived for nearly 20 years.

"Everybody here is like a family," she told The Post.

Asked about McMillan's mantra protesting exorbitant rents, Hampton said, "He's not necessarily talking about himself. He's talking about the poor person."

She did say McMillan was a good neighbor who paid his rent on time and was a cheerful presence.

The revelation about McMillan's very affordable rent comes as the candidate with the distinctive white mutton chops and mustache became an overnight media sensation following his performance in the freakish gubernatorial debate.

His rapid-fire and bizarre one-liners -- including the heavily repeated slogan "the rent is too damn high!" -- drew over 100,000 hits on You Tube, thousands of e-mails of support from all over the country and scores of media interview requests yesterday.

"I got a flood of campaign contributions. PayPal, PayPal, PayPal," McMillan told The Post yesterday.

"People want me to help set up the Rent Is Too Damn High Party in other states. The way people are talking right now, I'm going to be the next governor," he said.

"The love that the people have shown me is overwhelming. I'm the hottest ticket in town! This is what I always wanted."

McMillan, 64, a retired postal worker and Vietnam veteran, downplayed his bargain rent.

"It's not about my rent. It's not about me," he said, emphasizing that rents elsewhere have steadily risen. "What about the children's future? Where will they stay?"

McMillan disputed claims that he made anti-Semitic comments during a prior run for mayor under the pro-tenant banner.

He said he complained that Hasidic Jews in Williamsburg were getting favorable treatment for housing vouchers.

Meanwhile, Republican candidate Carl Paladino demanded another free-for-all gubernatorial debate yesterday, even as he admitted the seven-way face-off was "terrible."

Paladino called on Democrat Andrew Cuomo to accept another public showdown in the same mold as the widely panned fiasco at Hofstra University.

"I talked to a few of the other candidates and we agree: There needs to be more debates, and at least one upstate," Paladino said.

Cuomo refused to commit to more debates and blamed his heavy travel schedule.

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Jewish guy who claims he is not Jewish, trying to find anti-semitism that doesn't exist

How is pointing out that what is known by everybody here in Brooklyn, that Hasidic Jews get favorable treatment, anti-semitic?

This is known publicly. Politicians and civil workers have been known to be partial to them and bigoted toward others.

Why a few years ago, they were caught granting special favors to the Jewish prisoners in the Tombs, having their food made from the outside.

Hey, not mad. Can't knock the hustle. It works for them.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well whites in general get preferential treatment for housing. Everybody knows that. Just another example of whites being mad at the truth even when it's provable.

Also, just because his rent is low doesnt mean he isnt concerned with others. No different than a person with money giving a person without money some help.

Non-story.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Preach-on you collective salvation pundits.....YEAH that spread the wealth around is really coming to fruition. Chastise them wicked white people it's all their fault for all the wrongs in society. DAMN sure glad I ain't got thin skin in this climate of political correctness.

.^^^ Walks to the mailbox to get his Social Security check that was paid for by working people, while getting free bus passes for being a senior and getting discounted medication for his bipolar condition.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    DAMN you ain't ever heard of direct deposit? BTW I'm drug free and have always paid my own way CAN you and yours say the same? FYI I walk on by the Bus Stop to get to my own car.

You and yours forfeited the right to say you paid your own way, when you started getting free labor to stack your paper and build your economy. LOL
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Oh please! go pick on some rich cat, I am way to frugal/humble to ever fit in that wally world of yours.

Oh now you are going singular, when before it was you and yours? Ha Ha

Nah son, you all benefited too.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    At least I'm unlike you collective salvation pundits, ME thinks individual salvation is the way to go. Yeah you probably believe in trickle-up poverty as well. *get your ? hand out of my pocket Moochers*

No such thing as individual salvation. Show me one example.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Besides, all crotchety white men talk that ? , but they have never lived it. Never Ever..Never ever..Never ever

That ? only comes out when somebody else starts getting some or their standard of living declines.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ARE you ready? get ready now.

The words of Barrack Obama:

I worked as a community organizer in Chicago, [and] was very active in low-income neighborhoods working on issues of crime and education and employment, and seeing that in some ways certain portions of the African-American community are doing as bad, if not worse, and recognizing that my fate remained tied up with their fates. That my individual salvation is not going to come about without a collective salvation for the country.
    Unfortunately, I think that recognition requires that we make sacrifices, and this country has not always been willing to make the sacrifices necessary to bring about a new day and a new age.

So basically you quoted Obama saying there is no individual salvation without collective salvation as proof of a individual salvation?

Ok.....................time for your medication.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Thanks for showing you follow that mindset of trickle-up-poverty mister Robin Hood/Obama

nah, I just call it like it is.

I know your history amd how you all get played by your smarter brethren. This ? happens in cycles.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ARE you ready? get ready now.

The words of Barrack Obama:

I worked as a community organizer in Chicago, [and] was very active in low-income neighborhoods working on issues of crime and education and employment, and seeing that in some ways certain portions of the African-American community are doing as bad, if not worse, and recognizing that my fate remained tied up with their fates. That my individual salvation is not going to come about without a collective salvation for the country.
    Unfortunately, I think that recognition requires that we make sacrifices, and this country has not always been willing to make the sacrifices necessary to bring about a new day and a new age.

smh @ you trying to make working for ACORN seem like something it aint..What Chicago hood were you in, cause I dont think yall did a good job..
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    How is pointing out that what is known by everybody here in Brooklyn, that Hasidic Jews get favorable treatment, anti-semitic?

Why would Jews get favorable treatment in New York City?

It's unimaginable.

Blacks are just annoyed that another minority has its ? together.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Rent-Is-Too-Damn-High-Candidate-Doesnt-Pay-Rent-105346278.html

Your rent may be too damn high, but Jimmy McMillan's sure isn't.

The Vietnam vet stole the spotlight at the gubernatorial sideshow debate earlier this week, bellowing his campaign platform and party banner, "The rent is too damn high."

But McMillan's indignant pontification doesn't appear to stem from personal experience. As it turns out, he doesn't pay rent at all -- and hasn't done so since the 1980s, according to a published report.

McMillan missed payments on his $800-a-month one-bedroom apartment in Flatbush and his landlord allowed him to live rent free in exchange for maintenance work, reports The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/nyregion/20rent.html?_r=1&ref=politics
    He restated that he personally lived rent free. A few moments later, however, he refused to confirm any of his previous statements.

“Don’t look for anything I say about my living space to be true,” he said.

lol

in a recent New York radio interview, the guy also admits that the way he would pay to keep rents low would be to take federal tax money from people who work for a living
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    in part 3 of the radio interview he admits he has been a male prostitute

and that he has a disease from Vietnam that causes his erections to stay up and not go down

he has to go to the hospital and have the blood removed with a needle

lol
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    LMAO

10 karakters bro
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    .^^^ Walks to the mailbox to get his Social Security check that was paid for by working people, while getting free bus passes for being a senior and getting discounted medication for his bipolar condition.

industrial strength Ether
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yo hypocrite/reneger you just asked for an example & you said this 'No such thing as individual salvation. Show me one example'. I DID show you how this President wants others to think hes all about the salvation of others by stating his own mindset & aligning himself as some kind of self-righteous individual who can't have any salvation unless others sacrifice like he does.....? mister President talk out of both sides of your mouth to fit the crowd your talking to....aka pandering at its finest.

Showing me what someone says that directly contradict what you claim is not proof of individual salvation.

Let's try this again. Show me an example of individual salvation. Not Obama's views. You..Heyslick...Throwback cowboy..Show me an example of individual salvation that you--Yosemite Sam---believe and practice.

I'll wait.............
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Man rent is ridiculous. I live in Alexandria and pay $1600 for a 2 bedroom, and the crazy thing is that's good for an apartment the size of mine in this area. There are places that are like half the size but $200 more. The crazy thing is that pretty much every complex will tell you right up front, your rent will never decrease. On very rare occasions it might stay the same, but it will almost always go up. This guy that worked at a complex close to mine told me that when the recession first hit, the complex didn't raise rent that year out of "consideration" for the tenants. The very next year they jacked all the rents up $200 and claimed it was because the economy got better. At that time the rent for those particular apartments was $1200. Tell me when the economy improved so much it justified almost a 15% rent increase.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why would Jews get favorable treatment in New York City?

It's unimaginable.

Blacks are just annoyed that another minority has its ? together.

Not hating. Just a fact. I applaud welfare fraud and subsidized housing scams if you can get away with it. What? Did I just say that.....

It Just seems kind of odd that being ? 's chosen for thousands of years that you would have to resort to that.............
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Man rent is ridiculous. I live in Alexandria and pay $1600 for a 2 bedroom, and the crazy thing is that's good for an apartment the size of mine in this area. There are places that are like half the size but $200 more. The crazy thing is that pretty much every complex will tell you right up front, your rent will never decrease. On very rare occasions it might stay the same, but it will almost always go up. This guy that worked at a complex close to mine told me that when the recession first hit, the complex didn't raise rent that year out of "consideration" for the tenants. The very next year they jacked all the rents up $200 and claimed it was because the economy got better. At that time the rent for those particular apartments was $1200. Tell me when the economy improved so much it justified almost a 15% rent increase.

Buy a house. Alexandria is pretty nice. Im sure you can get a nice house for far less monthly payment. Unless you have hammer toe credit.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Come on, Ktulu. Leave this poor guy alone. He's just a crazy, lonely old Nam vet that says wild insane ? .

(you know its coming)

........like HeySlick.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Come on, Ktulu. Leave this poor guy alone. He's just a crazy, lonely old Nam vet that says wild insane ? .
    He's like the white dude from the "amberlamps" video but without good hands.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    800 for a one bedroom? We pay more than that at the place we stay for real. That ? lucky
  • TrueGodHS
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Did somebody describe Jews as a minority in one of their posts???? LMAO ROFL LLS
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    TrueGodHS wrote: »
    800 for a one bedroom? We pay more than that at the place we stay for real. That ? lucky

He's actually not even paying that. He's paying ZERO.
    Did somebody describe Jews as a minority in one of their posts???? LMAO ROFL LLS
    How many Jews do you think there are? You don't have to be a broke-ass race to be a minority.
  • TrueGodHS
    edited October 2010
    Options
    He's actually not even paying that. He's paying ZERO.

How many Jews do you think there are? You don't have to be a broke-ass race to be a minority.

You aren't a minority race to me when you are living in wealth based off years old money. I mean, a Jew is not a minority because I rarely see racism towards them and I NOW live in a Jewish Neighborhood. Its a nice area to live in after you done been in some horrible conditions, but thats my opinion.

On the rent issue, I still wish I could pay 800 a month with my lady for an apartment ? . Apartments cost too ? much