Hip Hop and the Grammies...........(Who has the least, Who has the Most)

Options

Comments

• CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yes, we all know these award shows are mostly set up and only given to the artist who sale the most. But sometimes they do honor some of the underdogs. I'm not shocked Eminem and Jay Z have the most Hip Hop Nominations, they had 2 of the biggest songs of the year any genre with "Love the Way You Lie" and "Empire State of Mind'. NaS dropped the ball not being on "Empire", it would of been his 1st #1 hit and also probably his 1st grammy as that song is a lock to win tonight. Eminem and Jay are atleast walking away with 2 or 3 grammy's apiece tonight. Drake got 4 nominations but has tough competition in all catagories. B.O.B. looks like he could walk away with atleast 1 as "Nothing on You" was such a big hit.

Overall it's a popularity contest but from a Hip Hop standpoint they don't matter, remember we didn't get reconized until the late 80's and even then they gave the 1st Hip Hop Grammy to one of the most pop oriented rap albums at that time, "He's the DJ and I'm The Rapper", don't get me wrong, I love that album and it's a Classic and Will was G for boycotting the grammy's but that was the not the best rap album of 1988. Tupac nor Biggie ever got a grammy, discraceful. NaS having 12 nominations and no wins, horrible.

But why do we NEED to be recognized? Seems to me like ? wanna be accepted by white folks. Who the ? cares? Hip-Hop wasn't created for no damn award shows or for uppity white folks, it was created for the ppl. Why do i have to "cheer" for the biggest white rapper gettin nominated 100 million times cuz he happens to be a white boy that can rap?? You honestly think Love The Way U Lie would get played like that if lets say Lloyd Banks dropped it? Hell no.

Since you said yourself that its a popularity contest why do you feel like its such a prestige?

I never give a ? about award shows except performances. That's the only thing i look forward too when i watch award shows.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    did Big Boi get any nominations?
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    did Big Boi get any nominations?

Here's who's up for the Rap Catagories Tonight. Eminem, Jay Z and B.O.B. have nominations in other catagoeis also.

Best Rap Solo Performance

Over - Drake
    Track from: Thank Me Later
    [Cash Money/Young Money/Universal Motown].

Not Afraid - Eminem
    Track from: Recovery
    [Aftermath/Shady Records/Interscope].

How Low - Ludacris
    Track from: Battle Of The Sexes
    [DTP/Def Jam Recordings].

I'm Back - T.I.
    [Grand Hustle/Atlantic].

Power- Kanye West
    [Def Jam Recordings/Roc-A-Fella].Back to top

Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group

Shutterbugg - Big Boi, Bosko, Cutty & Mouche
    Track from: Sir Lucious Left Foot...The Son Of Chico Dusty
    [Def Jam Recordings].

Fancy - Drake, T.I. & Swizz Beatz
    Track from: Thank Me Later

On To The Next One - Jay-Z & Swizz Beatz
    Track from: The Blueprint 3
    [Roc Nation].

My Chick Bad- Ludacris & Nicki Minaj
    Track from: Battle Of The Sexes
    [DTP/ Def Jam Recordings].

Lose My MindYoung Jeezy & Plies
    [Def Jam Recordings].

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration

Nothin' On You- B.o.B & Bruno Mars
    Track from: The Adventures Of Bobby Ray
    [Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic].

Deuces-Chris Brown, Tyga & Kevin McCall
    [Jive Records].

Love The Way You Lie-Eminem & Rihanna

Empire State Of Mind-Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
    [Roc Nation].

Wake Up Everybody-John Legend, The Roots, Melanie Fiona & Common
    [G.O.O.D. Music/Columbia Records/Home School Records].

Best Rap Song

Empire State Of Mind
    Shawn Carter, Angela Hunte, Alicia Keys, Jane't "Jnay" Sewell-Ulepic & Alexander Shuckburgh, songwriters (Burt Keyes & Sylvia Robinson, songwriters)
    (Jay-Z & Alicia Keys)
    [Roc Nation; Publishers: Carter Boys Music/Al Shuckburgh/Global Talent Publishing/Foray Music/Masani Elshabazz Music/EMI April Music/J Sewell Publishing/Lellow Productions/Twenty Nine Black Music/Gambi Music].

Love The Way You Lie
    Alexander Grant, Skylar Grey & Marshall Mathers, songwriters (Eminem & Rihanna)
    [Aftermath/Shady Records/Interscope; Publishers: Songs of Universal/Shroom Shady Music/Universal Music Publishing/Universal Music-Z Songs/Hotel Bravo Music/M. Shop Publishing].

Not Afraid
    M. Burnett, J. Evans, Marshall Mathers, Luis Resto & M. Samuels, songwriters
    (Eminem)
    [AftermathShady Records/Interscope; Publishers: Songs of Universal/Shroom Shady Music/Resto World Music/1damentional Publishing/Sony ATV Tunes/1daniable Publishing].

Nothin' On You
    Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Bruno Mars & Bobby Simmons Jr., songwriters (B.o.B
    & Bruno Mars)
    Track from: The Adventures Of Bobby Ray
    [Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic; Publishers: Ham Squad Music/Songs of Universal/Shady Music Publishing/Mars Force Music/Northside Independent Music/Bug House/Roc Cor Publishing/Music Famamanem/Toy Plane Music/Art For Arts Sake Music/Bughouse].

On To The Next One
    Shawn Carter, J. Chaton & K. Dean, songwriters (G. Auge & X. De Rosnay,
    songwriters) (Jay-Z & Swizz Beatz)
    [Roc Nation; Publishers: Carter Boys Music/Swizz Beatz/Universal Tunes/Irish Town Songs/Blue Mountain Music/Universal Music-MGB Songs].

Best Rap Album

The Adventures Of Bobby Ray-B.o.B
    [Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic].

Thank Me LaterDrake

Recovery-Eminem

The Blueprint 3-Jay-Z
    [Roc Nation].

How I Got Over-The Roots
    [Def Jam Recordings].

Most of these nominations are for songs and albums that sold well or did well on the charts which proves the theory the grammy's only nomation what's popular not wasn't artiscally creatively the best. But what do rap fans expect? The Grammy board is probably a bunch of old White Guys who know nothing about Hip Hop and based their nomiations off what happen on the charts.
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    But why do we NEED to be recognized? Seems to me like ? wanna be accepted by white folks. Who the ? cares? Hip-Hop wasn't created for no damn award shows or for uppity white folks, it was created for the ppl. Why do i have to "cheer" for the biggest white rapper gettin nominated 100 million times cuz he happens to be a white boy that can rap?? You honestly think Love The Way U Lie would get played like that if lets say Lloyd Banks dropped it? Hell no.

Since you said yourself that its a popularity contest why do you feel like its such a prestige?

I never give a ? about award shows except performances. That's the only thing i look forward too when i watch award shows.

Hip Hop is like the rebel genre of the music scene. We took that mantle from Punk Rock and other alternation music forms. But it's good for us to be reconized cause for years we were not even called a genre, we were called a fad, something that would die out and nobody would care about. That's what "White America" said when Hip Hop came onto the scene. Well here we are 30 years later and a White Rapper of all things has the most nominations at the Grammy's. Like Biggie said, "You never thought that Hip Hop would take this far". Again I don't really care, some of my favorite rappers ever never won a grammy. But rap does need to get it's shine. My problem is again it's a bunch of guys who probably don't even listen to Hip Hop coming up with these nominations.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Eminem for album of the year! Even if you don't like eminem, a hiphop act winning this category is rare. Root for him

outkast has
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Name all the rappers that are performing
  • wordsRweapons
    wordsRweapons Members Posts: 3,217 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    outkast has

True dat, but the sad thing is...no one has since then
  • MR.CJ
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Im watching the red carpet.

Faith Evans looking good
  • MR.CJ
    edited February 2011
    Options

Faith Evans looking good
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Over/Under that Eminem wins every category he is nominated in
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    Over/Under that Eminem wins every category he is nominated in

He will probably take home 3 or 4 but he won't win them all. Jay going to take some of those for "Empire State of Mind".
  • kirkangil
    kirkangil Members Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Cant believe Pac didnt win for Brendas Got A Baby but Ludacris came and rehashed his song basically with Runaway Love and won one.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    get this old guy off the stage................................
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    wow..how did distant relatives not even get nominated for anything? thats a damn shame.
  • MR.CJ
    edited February 2011
    Options
    LOL @ nicki outfit
  • Kame
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Where is she......... i aint seeing ?
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Faith Evans looking good

Got any pics? Man i love Faith. Did you see the ass? Man i love her she light as ? . You know them extra light ? suck the best ? and they ? color match their skin perfectly.
  • Kame
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Im seein some badass blondes doe...............
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Roots just won their 2nd Grammy. Props. Cee-Lo also just won a grammy.
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Damn, Roots just won again. Damn
  • Kame
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The ? the grammies looking like my high school graduation for?
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I remember when the Roots won for "You Got Me" 99' I was in college I was shocked. But it took them to do an album with John Legend who the Grammy's love before they got some more awards. Regardless, I'm happy the album that didn't sell that well pulled out some grammy's. Roots one of the GOAT Rap Groups, people continue to sleep.
  • rapmastermind
    edited February 2011
    Options
    New York Stand Up. "Empire State of Mind" already won one. Jay Z now leaps to #2 All Time Grammy Winner in Hip Hop History. KanYe could be surpassed tonight by Jay Z and Eminem before the night is over.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Drake is a nice guy
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Can a ? get a stream link?