PS Move sells 1 million in America

Options
Bcotton5
Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in IllGaming
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6282621.html

When the NPD Group released its sales figures for September 2010, it pointed out the only area of growth was game accessories. Chief analyst Anita Frazier said a major factor behind the 13 percent year-over-year boost was the introduction of the PlayStation Move, the motion-control system for the PlayStation 3. Sony says 1 million Move systems have been shipped in the Western hemisphere since launch.That said, reports were mixed as to the system's success. While Sony Computer Entertainment Europe chief Andrew House wasn't shy about saying how the system had sold 1.5 million units in the European Union, there was silence from Sony Computer Entertainment America about how the system had fared in the Western Hemisphere. Today, Sony broke its silence by announcing the Move has shipped--not sold--1 million units in North and Latin America during its first 30 days on the market. The figure is in-line with analysts' estimates that it had a "modest" launch of just 300,000 un

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    "SHIPPED--not sold"
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i got that ? .. smh @ me not playin it yet..
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The fact that it's shipped means Sony already SOLD it to retailers. It's not up to them to go around to every store in America and check the shelves to see how many are on there. The fact that theyve outpaced supply and had to go back and increase production tells you it's selling more than they expected.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101021/media_nm/us_sony_move

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Sony Corp said on Thursday it sold 1 million units of its Move motion-based video game controller in its first month on the market in the Americas region.

Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said demand is easily outstripping supply, and said the company does not expect to have enough supply on hand until February.

"We had to go back and increase production twice, we're absolutely maxed out right now," Tretton said.

Sony launched Move, which is used with its PlayStation 3 video game console, on September 19 in the U.S. with its camera priced at $39.99 and its motion controller wand at $49.99.

Move is available at more than 30,000 retail outlets in the Americas.

Sony said previously that it has sold better than 1.5 million Move units in Europe. It just launched in Japan.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'll be honest mayne, they advertised the hell outta Move. I mean Ive seen more commercials and cardboard cutouts in stores for Move than I have for any PS3 game ever.

With that said....... how you gonna release a motion controller and not have a Dancing or Fitness game? Wii already wrote the blueprint on motion/casual gaming........its not that hard to follow.

Also delaying two of your biggest Move games (SOCOM and LBP2) is flatout silly.

I'm actually surprised it has sold this well off Sports Champions alone. Every other game for it looks like it should be a mini-game.

"It's ahead of what I thought previously," said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities. "I think that they are a lock to sell 3 to 4 million by Dec. 31, and a lock to hit more than 5 million by fiscal year end" on March 31.

thats crazy considering the ? poor line up they have for Move. Sony should drop a Wii Fit type game for Move and those number would increase even more.

Either way, its a huge success and Sony is making a ton of profit from it.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Still on the shelf myself........was tempted to buy the 320Gb bundle yesterday when I bought DR2 and Spiderman. But I'll wait till a few games more drop.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its already over a million in EU
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    "SHIPPED--not sold"

the irony of a 360 ? saying these words......
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I will never buy anything to do with motion controls
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    the irony of a 360 ? saying these words......

Tor Thorsen from Gamespot is a 360 ? ?