Ghosts

Options
Skeratch
Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever had a personal experience with a ghost?

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Believe? Yes.

Experience? Yes.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Believe? Yes.

Experience? Yes.

I've never had an experience with a ghost, but I won't discount the possibility of their existence.
    What happened?
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't believe in ghosts, but then when i watch something like ghost hunters or hear all these stories about peoples’ encounters...i 2nd guess my belief for a few minutes...but then go back to not believing. I won’t say with 100% certainty that there aren’t ghosts though.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    I don't believe in ghosts, but then when i watch something like ghost hunters or hear all these stories about peoples’ encounters...i 2nd guess my belief for a few minutes...but then go back to not believing. I won’t say with 100% certainty that there aren’t ghosts though.

My woman likes those shows and I always offer skepticism if I watch them with her. Still, some people have convincing stories.

offtopic - is that Avatar from Yojimbo?
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My Great-Grandfather died in my Grandma's house. He died when I was about 3 or 4, he was really sick. Anyway, his wife and him were still married at the time of his death and she remained faithful to him period. She wore the wedding ring forever lol. She ended up in a nursing home, she was old, losing her mind and starting to get really sick. (I was about 13-14)

I would visit the house my Great Grandfather died in all the time, due to my Dad living there at the time. So the last like 4 months of my Great Grandmothers life, during a real sick period, at night I would get visits from my Great Grandfather. Every night actually. It was only at that house though, no where else.

First experience was a tapping on my shoulder. At first I thought I was tripping, thinking things etc. Then about the 4th time it happened I sat up and was scared shitless. I just starting randomly asking questions in the dark lol "who's there?" "what do you want?" type of ? . Finally I said "If I get your name right, let me know". So I named random names, wtf I didn't know who it was. Finally I thought "Oh ? what if it's him", so I said "Abuelo?" Then I heard footsteps in the living room (wooden floors)

I was hella scared, but there was a lot of home videos of me and him and a lot of pictures. We were really close, I was his first great grandson. So every night when I was there at the house, he would wake me up. Just tap my shoulders and that's it. No talking, no moving things, not much noise (besides the walking sometimes). I only seen him once, he appeared as a white foggy thing. That was weird and scary and I said to not do that again and he didn't lol.

For that 4 months though, he constantly woke me up. I would talk to him. I know, what the ? about right? Just random ? , about the family and myself. At the time I didn't know if he wanted "company" or what. After my Great Grandmother died (his wife) he never bothered me again. Then I just felt like he needed company and was waiting for his wife OR maybe trying to tell me that she was gonna die soon. ? made me cry for a long time after all this, ? was nuts.

Another crazy thing? For 4 months my Great Grandmother never spoke, they said she couldn't any more for whatever reasons. The last week of her life I visited her, all she did was smile the whole time at me and the family. So everyone said their goodbyes, got ready to leave and I was the last one in the room leaving. I turned to her and said goodbye, I love you and she said, "I love you" in a whisper. The family stopped and freaked, and she told them, "I love you all". Last things ever said.

Crazy, I experienced my Great Grandfather's presence and my Great Grandmothers "first/last words" ever. Forever embedded in my life.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My Great-Grandfather died in my Grandma's house. He died when I was about 3 or 4, he was really sick. Anyway, his wife and him were still married at the time of his death and she remained faithful to him period. She wore the wedding ring forever lol. She ended up in a nursing home, she was old, losing her mind and starting to get really sick. (I was about 13-14)

I would visit the house my Great Grandfather died in all the time, due to my Dad living there at the time. So the last like 4 months of my Great Grandmothers life, during a real sick period, at night I would get visits from my Great Grandfather. Every night actually. It was only at that house though, no where else.

First experience was a tapping on my shoulder. At first I thought I was tripping, thinking things etc. Then about the 4th time it happened I sat up and was scared shitless. I just starting randomly asking questions in the dark lol "who's there?" "what do you want?" type of ? . Finally I said "If I get your name right, let me know". So I named random names, wtf I didn't know who it was. Finally I thought "Oh ? what if it's him", so I said "Abuelo?" Then I heard footsteps in the living room (wooden floors)

I was hella scared, but there was a lot of home videos of me and him and a lot of pictures. We were really close, I was his first great grandson. So every night when I was there at the house, he would wake me up. Just tap my shoulders and that's it. No talking, no moving things, not much noise (besides the walking sometimes). I only seen him once, he appeared as a white foggy thing. That was weird and scary and I said to not do that again and he didn't lol.

For that 4 months though, he constantly woke me up. I would talk to him. I know, what the ? about right? Just random ? , about the family and myself. At the time I didn't know if he wanted "company" or what. After my Great Grandmother died (his wife) he never bothered me again. Then I just felt like he needed company and was waiting for his wife OR maybe trying to tell me that she was gonna die soon. ? made me cry for a long time after all this, ? was nuts.

Another crazy thing? For 4 months my Great Grandmother never spoke, they said she couldn't any more for whatever reasons. The last week of her life I visited her, all she did was smile the whole time at me and the family. So everyone said their goodbyes, got ready to leave and I was the last one in the room leaving. I turned to her and said goodbye, I love you and she said, "I love you" in a whisper. The family stopped and freaked, and she told them, "I love you all". Last things ever said.

Crazy, I experienced my Great Grandfather's presence and my Great Grandmothers "first/last words" ever. Forever embedded in my life.

Wow, that's crazy. Great stories.

My mother told me that one night after my grandfather died she felt his presense. He worked in landscaping and greenhouses his whole life and he always had that fresh earthy scent. Anyway, she said she could literally smell him and she felt a peace as if he was saying that he was alright.
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Wow, that's crazy. Great stories.

My mother told me that one night after my grandfather died she felt his presense. He worked in landscaping and greenhouses his whole life and he always had that fresh earthy scent. Anyway, she said she could literally smell him and she felt a peace as if he was saying that he was alright.

Yeah, they speak to us in one way or another. It's one hell of a scary experience though.
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My woman likes those shows and I always offer skepticism if I watch them with her. Still, some people have convincing stories.

offtopic - is that Avatar from Yojimbo?

correct...Toshio Mifune in Yojimbo. Mifune and Kurosawa were great together.
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options

do you ever feel that tapping on your shoulder when you are not in that house?
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    do you ever feel that tapping on your shoulder when you are not in that house?

Nope, only when I was in that house. No where else.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No.

Spirit is not independent of matter.

How can you see something that by definition is invisible?

Unless it manifest through something.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, they speak to us in one way or another. It's one hell of a scary experience though.

I can imagine.
    correct...Toshio Mifune in Yojimbo. Mifune and Kurosawa were great together.

Amazing movie. As great a movie as "A Fistful of Dollars" is, it is nothing compared to Yojimbo.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    No.

Spirit is not independent of matter.

How can you see something that by definition is invisible?

Unless it manifest through something.

Do you believe that a spirit could manifest through something?
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ay Olang is that the Dude from the Lone Wolf and Cub series?
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I can imagine.

Amazing movie. As great a movie as "A Fistful of Dollars" is, it is nothing compared to Yojimbo.

i agree 100%
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ay Olang is that the Dude from the Lone Wolf and Cub series?

nah it's Toshio Mifune from a movie called Yojimbo...Toshio played in a lot of old Samurai movies,many directed by Akira Kurosawa. It does look like the Lone Wolf character though in that pic.
  • Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i dont believe in ghost but their existence is potential.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do you believe that a spirit could manifest through something?

Most definitely.

Spirit to me is an orientation of thinking. In my estimation it is not a non corporal force that flies around indiscriminately. It is the heart and mind of man that is shaped by enviroment and to a degree heredity.

The mind is powerful, most powerful thing there is . We just haven't learned to harness it yet.

Aw man ? , the mind be playin tricks on us
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever had a personal experience with a ghost?

A ghost? A booooooooo haunting ghost? No, I don't believe in them.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Most definitely.

Spirit to me is an orientation of thinking. In my estimation it is not a non corporal force that flies around indiscriminately. It is the heart and mind of man that is shaped by enviroment and to a degree heredity.
    The mind is powerful, most powerful thing there is . We just haven't learned to harness it yet.

Aw man ? , the mind be playin tricks on us

Do you believe the spirit is inseparable from the body, sort of like software? Do you believe in an afterlife?
    Cosign...

some of those videos are just too realistic

I'm a sucker for the personal testimonies. I'm going to be one of those old guys with a million things lying around the house purchased from infomercials because of those personal testimonies.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Idk, part of my mind says no and another part says its possible because energy lingers.
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options
    what about a "spirit" then?

Yeah, I believe in “spirits” but not ghost (haunting spirit of a dead person, devils, demons, or fallen angels).
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No. Anyone that experienced something truly "haunting" is either full of ? , or it's their brain doing something that it normally doesnt do and that person just doesn't know wtf is going on, so through ingorance and too much tv, they attribute what happened to being a ghost encounter.
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    No. Anyone that experienced something truly "haunting" is either full of ? , or it's their brain doing something that it normally doesnt do and that person just doesn't know wtf is going on, so through ingorance and too much tv, they attribute what happened to being a ghost encounter.

Shots fired ohhhh no!!!!
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »

CoSignin drizzy drake on this one.

Minds playing tricks on people. Ghosts stem from the stories of old. The same people who were severely superstitious brought thoughts demons, ghosts, etc.. into the world. Alot of things people believe in are made up stories from long ago. If you believe something long enough your mind is bound to make it true.