Where does Brandon Roy rank in your list of Top SG in the league?

Options
one_manshow
one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
In terms of overall talent and skill where do you rank B-Roy? He was injured a lot last season but for those of you who watch Blazer games and watched him ball before injuries where do you rank him.. Is he a top 3 SG in the league when healthy? Had a few debates with people on here about Joe Johnson being better

My list of top 5 SG in the league

Kobe
Wade
Roy
Johnson
Jackson or Allen (argument can be made here)

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    3rd but damn SG has fallen off
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was asked on the John Thompson Show who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland's Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game," Bryant said.

But i agree with your list. I feel Roy plays more like a SF than a SG though, IMO he's like a smaller version of larry bird.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Dude is in my top 3, sadly he never stays Healthy.
  • one_manshow
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was asked on the John Thompson Show who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland's Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game," Bryant said.

But i agree with your list. I feel Roy plays more like a SF than a SG though, IMO he's like a smaller version of larry bird.

He plays more like a hybrid 1-2 he can handle the rock and mid range shot has improved from his rookie season. He can play the 3 on some occasions but his game is purely a SG although...and defense is on point as he has put the clamps on some big name guards.
  • one_manshow
    edited October 2010
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    Dude is in my top 3, sadly he never stays Healthy.

2008-2009 he played 78 games and was healthy that season he put up 22 5 and 5 on a Blazers team that made the playoffs and 07-08 season he played another 74 game..last season was his only set back season.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Dude is easily top 3 after Wade. His mid range is money. he has handles and he's strong.
  • one_manshow
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Dude is easily top 3 after Wade. His mid range is money. he has handles and he's strong.

Healthy B-Roy versus healthy Wade would show a lot of people how close to Wade and not far behind skill wise...although Wade does have a ring and is a bit more polished I think he can give that ? some problems.

Who is a more complete player Roy or Durant?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Same, number 3 behind Kobe and Wade
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You remember Ron Artest said Roy was hands down the hardest person he's ever had to guard in the NBA... and everyone laughed and said he was crazy... well damn three years later haha
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    He's 3 by default, basically. There's Kobe, Wade and everybody else.
  • toheeb27
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ekscape wrote: »
    You remember Ron Artest said Roy was hands down the hardest person he's ever had to guard in the NBA... and everyone laughed and said he was crazy... well damn three years later haha

People laughed bcos he was obviously trying to take a shot at Kobe back then, during the Lakers vs. Rockets playoffs series.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Kobe
    Wade
    Roy
    Johnson
    Monte
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Monta Ellis is Top 10 SG's definitely, but he ain't Top 5. And I'm a Warrior fan.
  • toheeb27
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Kobe
    Wade
    Roy
    Johnson
    Monte

? no, one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Fact, his team played better last year when ever he was not in the lineup. Fact, had the worst +/- on the GSW last season. Infact, the he was 100 point worse than the 2nd to last in +/- last season. Is he a terrible player, "NO", but please dont put him among the top 5 SGs in the NBA. Totally overrated. Watch the full games, not highlights dude.

I remember last week, when my lakers played them and dude was on fire, i kept telling Playmaker not to worry, that Monta would ? GSW come crunch time. And just like the sun rising in the morning, the dude shot the lakers back into the game.
  • Tha Killa
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? no, one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Fact, his team played better last year when ever he was not in the lineup. Fact, had the worst +/- on the GSW last season. Infact, the he was 100 point worse than the 2nd to last in +/- last season. Is he a terrible player, "NO", but please dont put him among the top 5 SGs in the NBA. Totally overrated. Watch the full games, not highlights dude.

I remember last week, when my lakers played them and dude was on fire, i kept telling Playmaker not to worry, that Monta would ? GSW come crunch time. And just like the sun rising in the morning, the dude shot the lakers back into the game.

I had no idea you had so much hate in your heart Toheeb. Tell 'em why you mad son. Monta's a pretty good 2 Guard but his shot selection needs a LOT of work. He ain't nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. Laker stans ? me with that ? .
  • toheeb27
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tha Killer wrote: »
    I had no idea you had so much hate in your heart Toheeb. Tell 'em why you mad son. Monta's a pretty good 2 Guard but his shot selection needs a LOT of work. He ain't nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. Laker stans ? me with that ? .

LOL, sorry that me pointing out the obvious makes me sound like i am a Hater, I am sorry. I guess bcos i just had this discussion with 2 different people in the last week, made me react that way.

But that been said, u basically said almost the same thing in the post before me, only u came from the angle of a GSW fan, so it was nicer.

U seem like a reasonable person, so i am confident that u know what i said in that post was not far off, so i wont argue with u.

Tangent, why does the fact that i am a Laker fan come into play here? I doubt most Laker fans give a ? about Monta Ellis. Bring up Lebron or Paul Pierce, then we hate like little ? , but MONTA ELLIS, ? .
  • Tha Killa
    edited October 2010
    Options
    LOL, sorry that me pointing out the obvious makes me sound like i am a Hater. I guess bcos i just had this discussion with 2 different people in the last week, made me react that way. But that been said, u basically said almost the same thing in the post before me, only u came from the angle of a GSW fan, so it was nicer.

U seem like a reasonable person, so i am confident that u know what i said in that post was not far off, so i wont argue with u.

Tangent, why does the fact that i am a Laker fan come into play here? I doubt most Laker fans give a ? about Monta Ellis. Bring up Lebron or Paul Pierce, they we hate like little ? , but MONTA ELLIS, ? .

You gotta remember that our system since Nellie came back encouraged all those boneheaded decisions he made. With him gone, I think we'll have a more cohesive offense that can rebound and play some D. I think Monta's due for a pretty good season if he doesn't try to play Young Mike Jordan every ? ' night. You can't deny that the lil' ? can ball. Besides. He ain't overrated. Nobody really has him in the Top 20 players in the league anyway, but people can make a case for him being a Top 5-6 SG based on talent/skill.

I think if he can learn to play within our new offense and to coexist with Steph, you ? won't get bailed out again when we play ya'll like you did so many times last year.
  • toheeb27
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tha Killer wrote: »
    You gotta remember that our system since Nellie came back encouraged all those boneheaded decisions he made. With him gone, I think we'll have a more cohesive offense that can rebound and play some D. I think Monta's due for a pretty good season if he doesn't try to play Young Mike Jordan every ? ' night. You can't deny that the lil' ? can ball. Besides. He ain't overrated. Nobody really has him in the Top 20 players in the league anyway, but people can make a case for him being a Top 5-6 SG based on talent/skill.

I think if he can learn to play within our new offense and to coexist with Steph, you ? won't get bailed out again when we play ya'll like you did so many times last year.

U have a bunch of "IFs" in your post, but i can respect your optimism. My post was based on what he has done so far, not what i think he could do.

With that been said, i like the the GSW team, i picked them as one of my teams on NBA League pass this season, so if MOnta achieves the things u laid out in your post, I have no problem with that.

Also, we did get bailed out alot against u guys, those games were pretty fun. I wont be surprised if u guys nick 1-2 games off us this season.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    #3 and well deserved. Always been a fan of his and wondered if the Bulls would've just kept him could their team have been bad enough to eventually end up with Rose too. Damn "if's"...
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1 of the most under the radar guys in the league(part of that is probably b/c he plays in portland) but he's def a solid #3 sg in the league. he's not wade or kobe...but he's better than all the other sg's.
  • WildcatOffense
    WildcatOffense Members Posts: 961
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Third behind Kobe and Wade
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    3rd behind wade and kobe.
    ppl don't realize how much he brings 2 that portland squad.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    cj012890 wrote: »
    3rd but damn SG has fallen off

thats what im thinking I thought their wer emore quality sg's than that
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    He's 3 by default, basically. There's Kobe, Wade and everybody else.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^