is it fair to knock Larry Fitzgerald for not producing w/o Bouldin and w/ Max Hall?

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
especially when you see someonle like Steve Smith excell with a qb like Jake Delhomme, and his best complementary receiver was muhsin muhammad?

i know the success of a qb often depends on how good his receivers are and the success of a receiver can depend on the qb and what types of talent are around him....but still, nearly every season that Fitzgerald has produced huge numbers, he's had an all pro qb and one of the top wr's in the league playing opposite of him.

Does this help make the case that Fitzgerald is a 'system wr' that needs great talent around him, and that fitzgerald still a great receiver, who unlike maybe Lee Evans or Calvin Johnson, needs that great qb or opposite wr to have huge numbers

Comments

• KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    housmenzadah...nuff said
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    fitz is a top 3 wr easy............. w/ or w/o a great qb or no. 2 wr.

close thread.
  • maximus preme
    maximus preme Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1)he isn't 100%

2)his QB is max hall.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No. His QB and team suck...nothin he can do about it. Muhammad led the NFL in receiving yards one season when Smith didn't really play, so having him as your best complimentary receiver isn't a bad thing at all. And Delhomme was never a great QB, but he was good enough to get you the ball. And Fitzgerald was unstoppable the year with the Superbowl run, and that takes real talent.
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1)he isn't 100%

2)his QB is max hall.

who is his qb?

and of course he isn't 100%, he doesn't have an all pro qb and a pro bowl wr playing opposite of him
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No. His QB and team suck...nothin he can do about it. Muhammad led the NFL in receiving yards one season when Smith didn't really play, so having him as your best complimentary receiver isn't a bad thing at all. And Delhomme was never a great QB, but he was good enough to get you the ball. And Fitzgerald was unstoppable the year with the Superbowl run, and that takes real talent.

steve smith won led the league in receptions, rec. yards, and rec. touchdowns in 2005...you know who had the next most receptions on that team? Deshaun foster
  • bow to royalty
    edited October 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    steve smith won led the league in receptions, rec. yards, and rec. touchdowns in 2005...you know who had the next most receptions on that team? Deshaun foster

Steve Smith that year had 1,563 yards and 12 TD's without Muhammad. The year before, Muhammad had 1,405 yards and 16 TD's without Smith. He was 6th in receptions, #1 in yards, and #1 in TD's. So it might be logical to think Delhomme is what was making the WR's look good. He lost his #1 receiver, so he just made the #2 receiver the best in the league. I'm not trying to say Muhammad is better than Smith, but I am saying he shouldn't be looked at like he's a ? #2.
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Steve Smith that year had 1,563 yards and 12 TD's without Muhammad. The year before, Muhammad had 1,405 yards and 16 TD's without Smith. He was 6th in receptions, #1 in yards, and #1 in TD's. So it might be logical to think Delhomme is what was making the WR's look good. He lost his #1 receiver, so he just made the #2 receiver the best in the league. I'm not trying to say Muhammad is better than Smith, but I am saying he shouldn't be looked at like he's a ? #2.

lets be real, jake delhomme has never made any receiver look any better than they were, nh...
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Matt u turned down my invite ? ?
  • bow to royalty
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lets be real, jake delhomme has never made any receiver look any better than they were, nh...

A dude you basically disregarded was the best receiver in the NFL under Delhomme. Back to back seasons with the #1 receiver in the NFL, with 2 different receivers, sounds like he was doing sumthin. Or it looks like the system made the receiver.
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A dude you basically disregarded was the best receiver in the NFL under Delhomme. Back to back seasons with the #1 receiver in the NFL, with 2 different receivers, sounds like he was doing sumthin. Right now Smith is in a similar situation to Fitzgerald and he's not doin ? (even before getting hurt).

steve smith is coming off a broken arm, and then a pulled hamstring... steve smith is also 4 years older than Fitz, so obviously his skills are diminishing.

and i think fitz is a better receiver, and i think w/o great talent around him fitz isn't going to produce huge numbers.
  • bow to royalty
    edited October 2010
    Options
    steve smith is coming off a broken arm, and then a pulled hamstring... steve smith is also 4 years older than Fitz, so obviously his skills are diminishing.

and i think fitz is a better receiver, and i think w/o great talent around him fitz isn't going to produce huge numbers.

I think he can produce numbers with decent talent around him. Even the Steve Smith of 4 years ago wouldn't be doin anything in the situation he's in right now. In fact Smith's in a better position cuz the Panthers have a run game you gotta respect a lot.
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    Matt u turned down my invite ? ?

Yep he ignored you ?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Funny ? is when TO was up in Buffalo last year the media and everyone said he fell off, and completely ignored the fact that the Bills had garbage QB's. I don't care how nice you are, if you don't have atleast a solid QB, you're not gonna produce.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Id like to see how many ? are being thrown his way before judging and then you add the fact that, their QBs now probably dont have the ? to make throws Kurt would and just let Fitz go get it
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    rookie qb gotta give it some time, but you would think he would look for his best wr more often. I havent watched any games so i cant really say whos bumming it right now
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Funny ? is when TO was up in Buffalo last year the media and everyone said he fell off, and completely ignored the fact that the Bills had garbage QB's. I don't care how nice you are, if you don't have atleast a solid QB, you're not gonna produce.

Lee Evans had a career year in buffalo w/ JP Lossman as his qb and he had another 1,000 yd season w/ Trent Edwards as his qb.
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    andre johnson was having 1,000 yard season w/ david freakin carr as his qb
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    its just funny that for year, he was a always mentioned as a top receiver...but can you really be considered as such when you can't produce without another superstar wr playing on the other side of the field with you?
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    no b/c one the season isnt over yet and two there are other factors as to why he might not be producing big numbers other than he former WR & QB not being there
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    no b/c one the season isnt over yet and two there are other factors as to why he might not be producing big numbers other than he former WR & QB not being there

word, i can agree with that, he'll still probably get his 1,000 yards, but i'm sure his receptions and td numbers will be way down
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No I knew Fitz would have a bad year he's going from a HOF to a scrub that doesn't mean he's become garbage all of a sudden.
  • Darius
    edited October 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    No I knew Fitz would have a bad year he's going from a HOF to a scrub that doesn't mean he's become garbage all of a sudden.

he's far from garbage, i dont think anyone suggested that
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    its just funny that for year, he was a always mentioned as a top receiver...but can you really be considered as such when you can't produce without another superstar wr playing on the other side of the field with you?

sounds like you're just a hater. Fitz is still the man.
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Kurt Warner does wonders for a wr's career