UFC - WEC Merger: Is this bad for MMA?

Options
arbitration
arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
So today Dana White decided to merge UFC and WEC. Which means that the UFC will have Dominic Cruz, Ben Henderson, and the best fighter on planet Earth, Jose Aldo. Yahoo! is saying that this is bad because it means less free fights. But I think its bad because it means the UFC juggernaut gets bigger. All the other brands, Strikeforce, and Bellator, are gonna get less attention because of this. Which means more people are paying to the stars of the sport, and less attention to the sport itself.

I need the true sportsheads of the IC to speak on this.

Comments

• eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i thought ufc already owned wec
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    They already operatex under the Zuffa umbrella. They werent exactly rivals...they only both had the lightweight division and wec consisted of smaller weight classes. So no.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    oh ok. i dont know about all of that but i always saw ufc promoting wec so i thought wec was just the smaller weight class version of ufc
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    MMA has been garbage since Pride died.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No one in WEC will make a splash in UFC..... so Dana basically just gave up on the WEC brand and killed it because it wasnt profitable enough to keep running
  • Tree Fiddy
    Tree Fiddy Members Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? that MMA ? , wrestling around on the ground like a buncha homosexuals
  • htowntx
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No one in WEC will make a splash in UFC..... so Dana basically just gave up on the WEC brand and killed it because it wasnt profitable enough to keep running

Jose Aldo?
    Ben Henderson?
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tree Fiddy wrote: »
    ? that MMA ? , wrestling around on the ground like a buncha homosexuals

It's even gayer u see it as that.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    Jose Aldo?
    Ben Henderson?

Isnt Aldo a 145lbs weight class? UFC doesnt have that.

Ben Henderson I never heard of.

still, closing a whole company down and only getting 2 decent fighters is a LAUCE.
  • Tree Fiddy
    Tree Fiddy Members Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's even gayer u see it as that.

Meaning it was already ? , but my statement made MMA gayer? OK, it's still ? then.
  • htowntx
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Isnt Aldo a 145lbs weight class? UFC doesnt have that.

Ben Henderson I never heard of.

still, closing a whole company down and only getting 2 decent fighters is a LAUCE.
    The ufc is absorbing all the wec weight classes and champs. The lightweight situation will be edgar/maynard winner vs henderson/next opponent winner to unify the division. It just made no sense to have 2 mma companies under one parent company
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's actually great for the fans and business. The UFC will have more weightclasses to promote and more possible stars and rivalries.

The lower weightclasses always have exciting fights which is what the UFC is always looking for. It was only natural that this would happen.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The ufc is absorbing all the wec weight classes and champs. The lightweight situation will be edgar/maynard winner vs henderson/next opponent winner to unify the division. It just made no sense to have 2 mma companies under one parent company

Then why did they run WEC for so long?

Face it, if it were a success they wouldve kept running WEC, but it was a failure so they killed it off and will take maybe 2-4 good fighters from there and it will never be heard of again.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's actually great for the fans and business. The UFC will have more weightclasses to promote and more possible stars and rivalries.

The lower weightclasses always have exciting fights which is what the UFC is always looking for. It was only natural that this would happen.

It's actually irrelevant to the fans and the business.

It will HURT the fighters because their will be less opportunity for them to fight now. Lower level guys wont get as much of a chance. And sponsors will have to pay UFC type money to get their ad on the show, instead of paying WEC type money.

It really wont make any big impact at all. 6 months from now no one will remember what WEC was anyways.
  • htowntx
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Then why did they run WEC for so long?

Face it, if it were a success they wouldve kept running WEC, but it was a failure so they killed it off and will take maybe 2-4 good fighters from there and it will never be heard of again.

But how is this bad for the ufc? their cards were getting mighty thin as of late because of injuries. Now theyre getting more fighters to fill their ppvs out, more exciting fights because the lower weightclasses generally put on better fights. all zuffa did was consolidate their power under one brand name...the ufc.
  • htowntx
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And plus this possibly is the lead up to a network tv deal...a ufc channel. And that means more shows so there will still be opportunity for the fighters to fight. Remember, a fighter only fights about 2-3 times a year, maybe 4 if their lucky not to get injuries. So there is room for more fighters. Plus the sponsers pay out more for the ufc name instead of the wec....so that means more money trickles down to the fighters
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    But how is this bad for the ufc? their cards were getting mighty thin as of late because of injuries. Now theyre getting more fighters to fill their ppvs out, more exciting fights because the lower weightclasses generally put on better fights. all zuffa did was consolidate their power under one brand name...the ufc.

Its not good or bad.

MMA has simply fallen the ? off.

bye.
  • HipHopSouth
    HipHopSouth Members Posts: 76
    edited October 2010
    Options
    UFC needs this merger so they can have more material for their TV Network. I really don't understand why they would go for a TV Deal with how young the UFC is but more power to them.

As far as Jose Aldo goes, I think he can be a superstar in the UFC. He turned down a fight with Kenny Florian, which is smart, but he's gonna be fighting and defending his crown at UFC 125 in january
  • Hip-Hop One
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's actually irrelevant to the fans and the business.

It will HURT the fighters because their will be less opportunity for them to fight now. Lower level guys wont get as much of a chance. And sponsors will have to pay UFC type money to get their ad on the show, instead of paying WEC type money.

It really wont make any big impact at all. 6 months from now no one will remember what WEC was anyways.
    ^^^and that's why it's great for the UFC.

There never was a big market for lighter fighters in the U.S. anyway, all the smaller fighters are in Japan even though some of the best fighters are in western organizations. No one knew of WEC anyway except big MMA fans, which makes this merger great since Zuffa lets go of a small promotion and merges into the bigger more popular promotion which now has more fighters to promote.

It'll make an impact in MMA since now it strengthens its stable and potential cards and that's what the fans want. UFC can't only rely on GSP, BJ Penn, Cain, Spider Silva and Shogun; they're always on the look for more fighters and stars, merging the WEC will create more potential for that. It's relevant and It'll only be benefitial, if it isn't then it doesn't hurt them as WEC was mostly aimed at only MMA fans whereas the UFC is trying to bring all types of people in.
    UFC needs this merger so they can have more material for their TV Network. I really don't understand why they would go for a TV Deal with how young the UFC is but more power to them.

As far as Jose Aldo goes, I think he can be a superstar in the UFC. He turned down a fight with Kenny Florian, which is smart, but he's gonna be fighting and defending his crown at UFC 125 in january

Yeah, Aldo will be big and there's some other talent on WEC that I think will give the UFC and even bigger stable of solid fighters.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ^^^and that's why it's great for the UFC.

How is it "great for UFC" when youre co-signing that it won't make a big impact?
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its not good its gonna get watered down sort of what happen 2 wrestling when WCW and WWE got 2gether I know its fake but same results might happen
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The merger is good for MMA, especially for the fighters. The FW, BW, and WEC LW's will now have an opportunity to make more money in the UFC and be seen by a lot more people. It also helps UFC bolster their cards so we get less cards like UFC 122.
  • Hip-Hop One
    edited October 2010
    Options
    How is it "great for UFC" when youre co-signing that it won't make a big impact?

I was only co-signing that no one "will remember what WEC was anyways" but the whole sentenced was bolded.

That's why it's a big deal and will make an impact for the UFC, get rid of a small promotion and open up other divisions and find new fighters. It makes an impact in the business sense as well, no need to be spending money on venues and fighters in seperate divisions on a different channel when you can just merge them into the bigger organization. Most of the changes to the UFC have been positive as of late. Plus now the WEC fighters will actually get the money and recognition that they deserve. The lighter fighters will put on some of the best fights, man. Just watch.

Peep this article...
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/10/28/better-late-than-never-ufc-wec-merger-is-long-overdue/
    The merger is good for MMA, especially for the fighters. The FW, BW, and WEC LW's will now have an opportunity to make more money in the UFC and be seen by a lot more people. It also helps UFC bolster their cards so we get less cards like UFC 122.

Yeah, I think it'll help most with the cards. I want to see Faber, Brown and Torres fight in the UFC.