does limiting yourself to one/two genres of music limit your personal development/a?

Options
whatevathehell
whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Reason
I only listen to rap and r&b and by todays standards those 2 are extremely interchangeable and im wondering if I wouldnt be a more rounded person If I expanded by listening preferences.

hmm, I dont know, looking for some intelligent insight as to how this might or might not be imaginary ? on my part.

Comments

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yea it's more music out here than those two, and rap is a hybrid of other music combined, jazz, blues, gospel, it all has a essence
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Listen to more ? . I don't blame you if you have a hard time finding much out there these days that appeals to you. There's so much garbage. But try looking back instead. If you're a hip hop fan, you should have an appreciation for Jazz and Blues. Check out some oldschool ? . You might be surprised how much music you'll like that was recorded before you were born.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Listen to more ? . I don't blame you if you have a hard time finding much out there these days that appeals to you. There's so much garbage. But try looking back instead. If you're a hip hop fan, you should have an appreciation for Jazz and Blues. Check out some oldschool ? . You might be surprised how much music you'll like that was recorded before you were born.

true, alot of my fav hiphop instrumentals have a real bluesy, jazzy type feel. I like to hear tracks with alot of guitar riffs and horns and just regular live unsynthesized instruments.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I might get some flack for this, but: Classical Music>>

You can tell that those Justice League guys have some classical influence in their production, listen to MM3 (Rick Ross)
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    Options
    true, alot of my fav hiphop instrumentals have a real bluesy, jazzy type feel. I like to hear tracks with alot of guitar riffs and horns and just regular live unsynthesized instruments.

Back in the day I didn't know about any of the songs being sampled in the hip hop I listened to. Then in college I started getting into a lot of old blues and soul, and the best thing was hearing a song and realizing it was used for a sample in a hip hop song I been listening to for years and never knew about.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    Options
    By the way, check this ? out. I used to give Kanye so much credit for the intro to Common's album, "BE". I still think it's a great beat but I feel a little different after I heard this.

• ChuckieInDaMurderAve
    ChuckieInDaMurderAve Members Posts: 1,787 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Hip-hop is the only genre I listen to all the time and I don't see anything wrong with it. I have an appreciation for the older 70s funk, soul and such music that have laid the foundations for hip-hop's sampling sources too. But I'm always used to hear those stuff on a hip-hop song, they sound also a lot more lively when sampled than when hearing the song itself (maybe not funk, but the others surely).

It's just that rapping is the only style of delivery I like in music, I find singing boring which is why you don't see me listening to pop or such kind of styles.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think it would explain someone's personality and where they are in life. I know cats who couldn't stand anything but rap when they were younger. Now they listen to everything. Personally, I'm a true music lover. I listen to every genre. I'm looking at international music right now. There's this drummer in Africa, can't think of his name I just downloaded his album, nice music. Reggae is my favorite followed by Hip Hop then R&B, then everything else.