Oscar Grants MURDERER gets 2 years (with 294 days served)

Options
edeeesq
edeeesq Members Posts: 511
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16532797?nclick_check=1

Ex-BART cop Mehserle sentenced to two years in Oscar Grant shooting
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry sentenced former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle to two years. He gets credit for a year of time served.

Mehserle was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in July in the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Oscar Grant III early Jan. 1, 2009, on the Fruitvale BART platform in Oakland.

The case began more than a year ago when Mehserle pulled out his gun and shot Grant in the back as the 22-year-old Hayward man lay facedown on the Fruitvale BART station platform.

The shooting immediately sparked racial tensions in Oakland and led to a few violent protests as many said the killing highlighted a longtime concern of minority communities about police abuse. The case eventually was relocated to Los Angeles because of concerns about security and the heavy media coverage of the killing.

The shooting followed a sometimes chaotic scene at the station, which began with a call from dispatch early New Year's Day, asking for officers to respond to a fight on a Dublin-bound train.

Videos of the shooting and the events that preceded it and followed it became a crucial piece of evidence in the case. BART police officers' training and the history of police officers mistaking guns for Tasers also played a role in the trial.

Deputy District Attorney David Stein argued that Mehserle's training proved he intended to ? Grant. Defense attorney Michael Rains argued that BART's insufficient training on the use of Tasers was the primary reason Mehserle made a mistake.

During the sentencing, Perry chastised Mehserle and Grant supporters as he read excerpts from letters and post cards he received. Perry said he was troubled by the lack of knowledge many people in the community had, in particular a school principal who said Mehserle should get the maximum sentence because he committed murder.

"What troubled me is that this comes from an individual who identifies herself as a school principal," Perry said.

He said that "It's troubling to this court that the community is ... polarized and that is a tragedy is this case"

Comments

• edeeesq
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Even from AHH...

The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officer who shot Oscar Grant to death was sentenced to two years in state prison today (November 5th).

Los Angeles Judge Robert Perry sentenced Johannes Mehserle to two years for involuntary manslaughter, the shortest term allowed by law. He also threw out a gun charge against Mehserle today, due to lack of evidence.

During a trial in July, Mehserle claimed he accidentally killed Grant in January 1st, 2009, when accidentally shot the 22-year-old in the back at Fruitvale Station, by using his service revolver, instead of his taser.

Grant's murder was taped by several witnesses, who used the camera's on their cellphones to capture the horrific shooting, which occurred while Grant was handcuffed and face down on the train station's platform.

During the sentencing hearing today, Grant's family members left the court house in anger and tears, including Sophina Mesa, the mother of Grant's 6-year-old daughter.

According to reports, the U.S. Justice Department, the U.S. Attorney's Office and the FBI are planning to continue investigating the shooting, to determine if the evidence in the case warrants federal prosecution.

"We livin in a country where u ? a cop u get 4EVER," Oakland rapper Mistah Fab tweeted moments after the verdict. "A Cop ? u he get 2yrs wit probation This is Justice huh?… It's unfortunate that N this day n age we still subdued to the injustices that our people fought and died for as if they deaths are in vain."

With time served, Mehserle will spend one year, two months and thirteen days behind bars for killing Oscar Grant.

"Today we had a gross miscarriage of justice.. Judge Robert Perry threw out the gun enhancement clause.. (10yrs) and then gave Johannes Mehserle 2yrs with credit for 146 days with time served," Davey D. wrote on his popular blog, DaveyD.com.

"Football star Plaxico Burris did more time shooting himself than Mehserle," Davey D. said. "Michael Vick did more time than Mehserle…shame on Mehserle. The judge and any police officer who sat back and allowed this to take place without speaking out…today was not a good day..It makes you wonder if there even is a such thing as JUSTICE.. Maybe it doesn’t exist. maybe we been hoodwinked and bamboozled."
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ? disgusting.... why I despise cops....
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Pathetic, not surprising though. Wasn't the first person to get off easy on a murder charge and won't be the last.
  • edeeesq
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This is just....disgusting....2 years....2 years?

The life of a black man in an unnecessary act of violence = 2 years - 294 days
  • Nerd_Ferguson
    Nerd_Ferguson Members Posts: 30
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Damn...I guess killin' dogs and shootin' ? is the same ? these days.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options

So true...
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the judge is basically the cop's co-worker

why would he give him a harsh sentence?

y'all act like there ain't no favoritism and corruption in your community
  • edeeesq
    edited November 2010
    Options

Vick seems to have done more time than this....
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Nothing to see here, citizen. Move along.

police_state.jpg
  • LONDON!
    LONDON! Members Posts: 679 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options

exactly, it makes your blood boil, i don't even want to think too much on it, other than rip to oscar grant and hopefully someone catches this fed(cop)in the pen and gives him proper justice you can't take back, you get what i'm saying, but i know there gonna put him in pc wit all the rats, ? , other corrupt cops, sex offenders and so on and so on, but my fingers are still crossed that a brother is able to catch him and get away wit it, its riduculous, rip to oscar grant
  • elliott_argon
    elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the pig who murdered oscar grant by shooting him in the back was given 2 years for involuntary manslaughter. the judge lamented in the sentencing that "One man's life was needlessly taken, a second man's life and career were devastated." wow. racism is dead.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/detail?entry_id=77194