Nuclear Detonation Timeline "1945-1998"

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
Don't know if this was ever posted, but here it is.

A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 - 1998 - by Isao Hashimoto

The 2053 nuclear tests and explosions that took place between 1945 and 1998 are plotted visually and audibly on a world map.

As the video starts out detonations are few and far between. The first three detonations represent the Manhattan Project and the two bombs that ended World War II. After a few representative minutes the USSR and Britain enter the nuclear club and the testing really starts to heat up.

Even though the video does not differentiate between sub-critical "safety" tests and full detonations, you get a good idea of the fever of the nuclear arms race.

The time line does not extent to tests by North Korea (October 2006 and May 2009).
video credit: goes to Isao Hashimoto (www.ctbto.org/specials/1945-1998-by-isa*o-hashimoto/)

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Wow, how is New Mexico even in live-able condition. There had to be at least 100 detonations in that area.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    LOL @ us detonating bombs left and right.

LIke we didnt catch on the first 30 times.
    Wow, how is New Mexico even in live-able condition. There had to be at least 100 detonations in that area.
    It explains the people there.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What kind of human being would do such a thing to the planet we live on?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    What kind of human being would do such a thing to the planet we live on?

Comets, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tsunami's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nuclear Bombs

Anything a nuke does to the Earth something else has done something 100times worst.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Comets, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tsunami's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nuclear Bombs

Anything a nuke does to the Earth something else has done something 100times worst.

....I will repeat the question.... what kind of MAN would DO such a thing to this planet? None of those things you said leaves an area radioactive and unable to sustain life for 50 years..... Nukes serve NO ? purpose for humanity other than blowing mother fuckas up.... But of course, I expected that answer from you, Chozen....

Nukes are man made.... Comets, quakes, hurricanes etc are a force of nature. Our existence is a force of nature. NAture made man, and nature should decide how and when man ends. Man should not have that type of decision making for other men.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options

Comets, meteor, etc... yes. The rest of that stuff, no. The ? they got out there now is more destructive than anything we've seen from those other things you named. The only natural phenomenon on earth that is far worse than today's nukes are supervolcanoes, and those things erupt very rarely.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    nature should decide how and when man ends.

lol at saying this over the internet

go live in the woods, b

unplug your fridge, grow some beets in your backyard, nh
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited November 2010
    Options

go live in the woods, b

Soooo, are you saying that the idea of man destroying itself is ok with you?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Soooo, are you saying that the idea of man destroying itself is ok with you?

no, foo

i'm loling at the idea that we should throw away all the medicinal technology we've invented in the last thousand years and let "nature decide our end"
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited November 2010
    Options
    no, foo

i'm loling at the idea that we should throw away all the medicinal technology we've invented in the last thousand years and let "nature decide our end"

He was talking about man in general meaning that we shouldn't be making weapons that could wipe out mankind. He wasn't talking about medicine and you know it.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited November 2010
    Options
    he said nature made man and should decide how we end.

anyway, nuclear weapons cant actually wipe out mankind. thats cold war hysteria, b. it's almost 2011. anti-proliferation has been in effect

maybe some ? muslims will blow a suitcase bomb in a city somewhere, but there will never be a nuclear holocaust

one decent meteor could end all our ?

shouldn't science try to engineer a way to send that meteor off its course and away from Earth? Chike thinks we should let it ? us.

? ? yo
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Our existence is a force of nature. NAture made man, and nature should decide how and when man ends.
    man's part of nature, and if man destroys themselves, i guess that's natural. why pretend otherwise?
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    man's part of nature, and if man destroys themselves, i guess that's natural. why pretend otherwise?

Touche.... But we are the Life aspect of nature, and the life aspect of nature's role is to... be alive. To survive. To remain existent. It's highly ? to create somthing that could ultimately destroy us. And we're supposed to be the smartest animals? lol yea right...

go live in the woods, b

What the ? are you talking about?

no, foo

I should know better than to reply to a ktulu post. First of all, medicine destroys us from the inside out. All medicine does is relieve symptoms. Symptons that are extrememly important for us, why? So we know wtf is wrong with us, and can actually stop being the ? slobs that we're being that is causing the sickness in the first place. How ? stupid can you be to stop heart burn so that you can keep on eating the ? filth that is causing it in the first place? That's moronic! Your body is trying to tell you to stop that ? , and you're basically telling your bodies defense mechanism to go ? itself! Then you wonder why people keep getting cancer or gout or whatever the ? else they get. Then they go see their legal drug pusher aka doctor to go prescribe them ? worse than ? , heroine or ? altogether.... I swear to ? human are the dumbest ? creatures on the planet.

anyway, nuclear weapons cant actually wipe out mankind. thats cold war hysteria, b. it's almost 2011. anti-proliferation has been in effect

maybe some ? muslims will blow a suitcase bomb in a city somewhere, but there will never be a nuclear holocaust

shouldn't science try to engineer a way to send that meteor off its course and away from Earth? Chike thinks we should let it ? us.

? ? yo

Anti-proliferation? Are you being serious? Is that some sort of treaty? XD I know you're trolling.. but ? damn...

Yea, you know they aren't creating nukes for the sole purpose of deterring meteors.... don't YOU be ? yo

no but seriously.. modern medicine? XD That was a good one. The side effects of modern medicine is worse than the symptons that they're trying to get rid of. Ancient medicine>>>>>>>modern medicine, btw.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    no but seriously.. modern medicine? XD That was a good one. The side effects of modern medicine is worse than the symptons that they're trying to get rid of. Ancient medicine>>>>>>>modern medicine, btw.

leeches and ? ? or is that too modern?
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    leeches and ? ? or is that too modern?

Well first of all, the best medicine the world has ever seen, is not invtenting, creating things or environments that cause sickness in the first place. Prevention and the intelligence to be able to prevent sickness is by far the best medicine.
  • shootemwon
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well first of all, the best medicine the world has ever seen, is not invtenting, creating things or environments that cause sickness in the first place. Prevention and the intelligence to be able to prevent sickness is by far the best medicine.

So live in a bubble?
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    So live in a bubble?

No, it's called education.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think i agree with Drakey on this one...at least 70% in agreement. I wouldn't say that ALL of medicine is bad, for instance in life threatening situations, surgery, stem cell research, etc. Nuclear bombs are no doubt potentially more dangerous than natural disasters.
  • shootemwon
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No, it's called education.
    True. Once I get my master's degree I won't need to worry about getting cancer.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    True. Once I get my master's degree I won't need to worry about getting cancer.

No, that's not education... If you were truly educated, you wouldn't have made a ? remark like that.
  • shootemwon
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No, that's not education... If you were truly educated, you wouldn't have made a ? remark like that.

Are educated people immune from genetic diseases?
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited November 2010
    Options

? ? yo

A single nuke couldn't destroy humanity, but a nuclear war could come damn close. The strongest Nuke ever detonated had a 50 megaton yield and was like 4000 times stronger than the bombs dropped in Japan. If I'm not mistaken that ? was made like 40 years ago. It was enough to literally destroy all of London and that's not even considering radiation fallout. I don't even want to think of what they could put out there now. Hell even with that bomb, it was originally meant to be 100 megatons but the altered it to cut the yield in half because they didn't think the delivery plane would be able to escape the blast.

I don't know where you get this idea that there will never be a nuclear holocaust though. There are still a lot of nukes out there, and those are just the ones that are publically known. I promise you they have some ? that is still classifed and therefore not even spoken about.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Are educated people immune from genetic diseases?

Educated people know what steps to take in order to take care of their bodies and avoid situations that would cause harm to themselves. There's no such thing as 'genetic diseases' unless you're literally born with a defect. That whole "breast cancer runs in the family" nonsense is ? . It has nothing to do with genetics, everything to do with picking up the same nasty habits as the people that raised you.... considering... they're raising you...

You can keep being a wise ass but you're going to fail every time.
  • shootemwon
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Educated people know what steps to take in order to take care of their bodies and avoid situations that would cause harm to themselves. There's no such thing as 'genetic diseases' unless you're literally born with a defect. That whole "breast cancer runs in the family" nonsense is ? . It has nothing to do with genetics, everything to do with picking up the same nasty habits as the people that raised you.... considering... they're raising you...

You can keep being a wise ass but you're going to fail every time.

Stop catching feelings ? .

So what kind of education cures genetic diseases? Answer my question or admit you're full of ? .
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Stop catching feelings ? .

So what kind of education cures genetic diseases? Answer my question or admit you're full of ? .

Did I say anything about cures? I said prevention. L2read. I haven't been to the hospital in 10 years, and I can't even remember the last time I got sick....