Well, we did it.... Scientist FINALLY re-create the big bang.

Options
ThaChozenWun
ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
at 2:12PM today using the Large Hadron Collider. So much for those of you who said it was impossible and ? y'all who tried hard to stop it saying we were going to ? ourselves by creating a black hole...

By the way, not one of you could imagine how happy I am to hear this news...

Scientists re-create Big Bang in lab
Scientists say they have created a mini Big Bang using the world's largest atom smasher, resulting in a temperature "a millions times hotter" than the sun's center, the BBC reports.

In an underground tunnel near Geneva, the European Organization for Nuclear Research smashed together particles inside the $10 billion accelerator known as the Large Hadron Collider, in an effort to learn more about the plasma that formed the universe a split- second after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. Scientists say a tiny ball of matter exploded and then quickly formed a melted "soup" of matter, which then re-ordered itself into what is now the universe.

The experiment, using lead ions instead of protons, produced the highest densities and temperatures ever created by scientists, and a kind of matter formerly unseen on Earth, The Telegraph reports.

[Photo: Astronomers discover oldest galaxy]

"At these temperatures even protons and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt, resulting in a hot dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a quark-gluon plasma," researcher David Evans from the University of Birmingham told the BBC.

The Guardian explains that the moment the scientists are re-creating happened about 0.00000000001 seconds after the Big Bang, an interval when "protons and neutrons can't even stay whole."

Scientists are also trying to figure out more about the "strong force," which binds the nuclei of atoms and gives them most of their mass.

Click image to see photos of the world's largest atom smasher

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101108/od_yblog_upshot/scientists-recreate-mini-big-bang-in-lab

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You're excited arent you?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    You're excited arent you?

Like you wouldn't believe.... got off about 15 calls so far tellin people
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Like you wouldn't believe.... got off about 15 calls so far tellin people

*insert cool story brah/bro/broham/brorockaobama gif*
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    *insert cool story brah/bro/broham/brorockaobama gif*

*insert ? ? you gif*

Wanna go night night ? ? Wanna go night night!!!
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm actually excited to see where they go from here.

Man literally "playing ? "
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »

I'm wondering what's next also.... I can't wait to read the official version, see what actually all formulated.

That would be something if we just created an entirely new mini galaxy. If it has water, air, gases, etc.. it would be amazing to witness over time how everything settles and forms and even if their are cells or organisms on any planets.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    its creating conditions similar to what happened immediately after the big bang

it is not a re-created big bang

we did not make any universes and if we made any black holes, their mass is too small to cause any damage
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »

That's exactly what they're doing...it gets their rocks off.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's exactly what they're doing...it gets their rocks off.

Yep, and they're going to get awake up call.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    If the could create a mini universe with a mini earth then I wonder if their mini originals would be mini black people in mini Africa.

lol I'm hoping we get to that point where we can create a mini universe.

This is a wonderful start to me at least...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thing is, many people said we couldn't ever reach creating or re-creating a big bang and this is close enough FOR NOW. ? shows you we can do it, we humans can pull off many things. So in sense it is playing "? ", don't be mad...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    *jumps up and high fives Chozen for this*

Oh yeah and btw, Pitt gonna LOOOOSSSEE.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    *jumps up and high fives Chozen for this*

Oh yeah and btw, Pitt gonna LOOOOSSSEE.

Lol come on my dude, that would be the second coming
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    But didn't everything in this universe come from the big bang? How could we recreate a big bang or universe out of the stuff the big bang already provided? I think we just like smashing different atoms together at different temperatures and finding out what we can make or do.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i think this ? is absolutely dope

anybody who hates on technological and scientific advances should move to pennsylvania and become omish
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    But didn't everything in this universe come from the big bang? How could we recreate a big bang or universe out of the stuff the big bang already provided? I think we just like smashing different atoms together at different temperatures and finding out what we can make or do.

No, we have no idea where the stuff came from yet... we just replicated the act that set everything into motion
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol...big bang...lol. muthafuckas allready opened up a wormhole in europe. some things dont need to be ? wit.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No, we have no idea where the stuff came from yet... we just replicated the act that set everything into motion

I was pretty sure part of the reason for the theory of the big bang was to explain where hydrogen and helium came from, because there is nothing else hot enough in this universe that could have caused the nuclear fission to produce hydrogen and helium. Where as the other elements were created through fission from collapsing stars.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I was pretty sure part of the reason for the theory of the big bang was to explain where hydrogen and helium came from, because there is nothing else hot enough in this universe that could have caused the nuclear fission to produce hydrogen and helium. Where as the other elements were created through fission from collapsing stars.

That's all we did, was replicated the nuclear fission. It might have produced helium and hydrogen, they're still testing and everything. What I posted was just the initial report that they we finally able to clash them and create the fission point.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's all we did, was replicated the nuclear fission. It might have produced helium and hydrogen, they're still testing and everything. What I posted was just the initial report that they we finally able to clash them and create the fission point.

We've been able to do nuclear fission for a while, we could only get so far because we can get to fast enough speeds or high enough temperatures. We've been able to break the nuclear strong force on some atoms, but other atoms require much much hotter temperatures. Like for helium and hydrogen, you need temperatures billions and billions times hotter than our sun. Not an easy task to replicate on earth.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Ridiculous. What a total waste of time, energy, money, and effort! It's like mankind is hell bent on disproving the existence of ? .

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at ? 's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." Hebrews 11:3

? spoke and it was done. ? commanded and it stood fast. ? said and it was. It's plain and simple. It's not rocket science. It's not some elaborate theory, which is nothing more than man talking out of his rear end. ? said it and it was done. How hard is that for people to grasp?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm wondering what's next also.... I can't wait to read the official version, see what actually all formulated.

That would be something if we just created an entirely new mini galaxy. If it has water, air, gases, etc.. it would be amazing to witness over time how everything settles and forms and even if their are cells or organisms on any planets.

That's not exactly how it works. I think you're overstating the accomplisment a bit. lol
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's not exactly how it works. I think you're overstating the accomplisment a bit. lol

I think Chozen hopes that they're going to make mini universes on an assembly line and he'll be able to head down to wal-mart to get his own starter kit. LOL This ? means nothing, and nothing good will ever come out of this waste of time and resources type of research. First of all, they aren't going to release any type of ground breaking information to the general public, and anything they do say about it will most likely be a lie or mis-information.

lol at people acting like the government is honest and doesn't hold back top secret information from the public.
  • uaintknow
    uaintknow Members Posts: 93
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    If the could create a mini universe with a mini earth then I wonder if their mini originals would be mini black people in mini Africa.

With a little mini ? .

I'd like to apply for this job, I wouldnt be as ruthless as the ? that WE have
  • uaintknow
    uaintknow Members Posts: 93
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    I think Chozen hopes that they're going to make mini universes on an assembly line and he'll be able to head down to wal-mart to get his own starter kit. LOL This ? means nothing, and nothing good will ever come out of this waste of time and resources type of research. First of all, they aren't going to release any type of ground breaking information to the general public, and anything they do say about it will most likely be a lie or mis-information.

lol at people acting like the government is honest and doesn't hold back top secret information from the public.
    Yeah, let's just continue sitting in front of our monitors and complaing about how the money and time is wasted and how stupid they are. That's a better solution and oh yeah.... let's continue believing in ? and that we are inferior and we will never solve anything. Now I feel good.