Missile Off the California Coast? US Military Says No...

Options
oliverlang
oliverlang Members Posts: 593
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
Others disagree...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/10/earlyshow/main7040379.shtml

(CBS) More than a day after a CBS camera caught video of an unidentified projectile leaving a condensation trail off the California coast, the situation remains a mystery, with the Defense Department insisting that it was not a missile.

The Pentagon is still not sure what that was in the sky off the coast of California -- except that it was not a missile fired by the U.S. or some other country, reports CBS News Pentagon correspondent David Martin.

The video of what looks for all the world like the contrail of a missile was shot Monday evening by KCBS cameraman Gil Leyvas from a news helicopter over Los Angeles.

"I saw a big plume coming up, rising from looked like beyond the horizon and it continued to grow," Leyvas said.

He zoomed his camera in and stayed on it for about 10 minutes. To him it looked like an incoming missile.

"It was unique. It was moving," he said. "It was growing in the sky."

The Pentagon spends billions of dollars a year making sure it is never surprised by a missile launch - so finding out what the camera saw became a top priority. Both the Navy and the Air Force insisted they had not launched any missiles and the North American Air Defense Command - which is supposed to track incoming missiles - declared it had not been fired by any other military. But nobody could say what it was.

But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt.

"It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times. "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]."

Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships.

The Twitterati had a field day Tuesday, tweeting comments like "Can someone please tell me how our Department of Defense has no idea who launched a missile from California's coast?"; "So nobody in our government or military knows? Scary."; and "If you misplaced a missile off the coast of California, the U.S. government would like to have a few words with you."

The Federal Aviation Administration did not receive any reports of a missile from other pilots in the area or track any unusually fast objects. The Air Defense Command determined the object was not traveling fast enough or have a big enough exhaust plume to be a military missile.

The best guess right now is that it was either an airliner or an amateur rocket, but we may never know for certain.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The doubting citizen in me says they know exactly wtf it was and who did it.
  • oliverlang
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The doubting citizen in me says they know exactly wtf it was and who did it.

I think so also...how can they not? If they didn't at the time, they damn sure know now...I would hope so anyway.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    I think so also...how can they not?

Idk

I read another little bit about this yesterday, and how they were scrambling to find out where it came from and who did it, calling all the government factions and none of them knew what was what, all sounded like a tv skit.
  • oliverlang
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Idk

I read another little bit about this yesterday, and how they were scrambling to find out where it came from and who did it, calling all the government factions and none of them knew what was what, all sounded like a tv skit.

lol...yeah, if they didn't know about this the DoD and the rest of the government really dropped the ball.

It does remind of a TV skit, or some old 80s movie where a missile was launched by accident by Dan Aykroyd or Steve Martin now they have to cover it up.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol I just clicked on play and get this : Deze video is niet beschikbaar in je land (which is Dutch for 'this video is not avaliable in your country'

Saw this on the news this morning though, I just can't really tell what it is or understand why they still haven't given us an explanation about what it actually was.....
  • oliverlang
    edited November 2010
    Options
    can't they just follow the contrail to the source?
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    can't they just follow the contrail to the source?

that would make to much sense.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lol....Wow so this is how conspiracy theories start.

I'm in the air force and it was common knowledge to us they were testing a missle. Im not even stationed at the same base it was launched from and we knew like 3 days in advance. They launched it from vandenburg afb.

I work the swing shift 2-11 and we all went outside to the flight line to go watch it launch that night.

Why the gov't is denying this is beyond me.
  • oliverlang
    edited November 2010
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    Lol....Wow so this is how conspiracy theories start.

I'm in the air force and it was common knowledge to us they were testing a missle. Im not even stationed at the same base it was launched from and we knew like 3 days in advance. They launched it from vandenburg afb.

I work the swing shift 2-11 and we all went outside to the flight line to go watch it launch that night.

Why the gov't is denying this is beyond me.

Word. That's pretty strange that the government could have just admitted that it was a missile testing and it would have been over. Not sure why they lied, unless it's some Ironman type secret weapon.
  • b*braze
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lmao. I should probably edit that post before they come get my ass for givin up classified info, but then again we never had to sign anything or no one told us we couldn't talk about it so....

Pretty weird to say the least.
  • b*braze
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Idk

I just watched the video and a few others online... And that's exactly what it was.

Lie I said... I knew days in advance and my security clearance is "secret" which in the grand scheme of the military is bare minimum just to do airplane maintenance and ain't really ? .