The bible is about as useful as teats on a bull.

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Does the bible have any redeaming qualities? Is there anything of value in the bible? What are your opinions and ideas.

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The bible offers some great lessons on life and morality.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Is this really you?

And yes, it does have redeemable qualities. The good bit of it does teach how a positive way to live.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    The bible offers some great lessons on life and morality.

Like what? Cuz a lot of it seems like what we would now call 'common sense'.
    Is this really you?

And yes, it does have redeemable qualities. The good bit of it does teach how a positive way to live.

Idk, your guess is as good as mine. I'm still figuring it out for myself who really me is. Life long process, ask me again when I'm dead.

At which part? When jesus came on the scene?
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Yes it really does. It really is a good book. It's what people have turned it into.

Really good books?
  • major pain
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Like what? Cuz a lot of it seems like what we would now call 'common sense'.

Everyone doesnt have common sense and many of the ones that do dont exercise it.

There are lessons on betrayal, morality, forgiveness, revenge, love, hate etc. etc.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Idk, your guess is as good as mine. I'm still figuring it out for myself who really me is. Life long process, ask me again when I'm dead.

At which part? When jesus came on the scene?

Yea, its you...

And, no. You have to pick and choose.. The entire Jesus story is what actually ruins the book imo. It gives it the edge that pushes not so logical people over the edge.

I guess you would be right to say it's as useful and bull teats though, it is common sense and the book is not needed for that. It does have good things in it, like giving to the poor, treating others as you would treat yourself, etc.. but we don't need it for us to know these things.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Everyone doesnt have common sense and many of the ones that do dont exercise it.

There are lessons on betrayal, morality, forgiveness, revenge, love, hate etc. etc.

Indeed, but common sense seems to be going exstinct. Should change the name to rare sense or something.

Lessons I guess only for those willing to learn.

And, no. You have to pick and choose.. The entire Jesus story is what actually ruins the book imo. It gives it the edge that pushes not so logical people over the edge.

but we don't need it for us to know these things.

Yeah but humans like to embellish stories of great people or things, what can you expect?

I don't think we understand those things at all.
  • universaltruth
    universaltruth Members Posts: 193
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Actually Jesus was one of the bright spots, it seems he understood.......Paul on the other hand, thats a whole nother story.....

On thread, I used to think the Bible was worthless, but in conjuction with other religious texts, I believe the Bible can be used to show the good and the bad of religion, and lead to the ultimate truth.
  • major pain
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lessons I guess only for those willing to learn.

Pretty much.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Does the bible have any redeaming qualities? Is there anything of value in the bible? What are your opinions and ideas.
    it has literary value, even if you give it no merit as a book that can still impart some moral values aside from religion.
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The 'bible' speaks of ? ’s kingdom coming to earth in the future. And which the sons of ? will lastly reveal themselves. There will finally be peace on earth. I can't wait!
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the bible is on point from back then til our time & beyond in the future, Most don't understand it so they write it off as useless, Most don't read it so they make up their own doctrine while trying to use the book as a base for the false doctrine... Once you get understanding of both books (old & new) , you will start to understand that the prophecies of the bible line up with World events & what's going on today...

Just from understanding the bible, I know for sure the Pope will move to Jerusalem, set up shop, appoint a leader & that leader will rule the entire world for 3 1/2 yrs, I understand the nations will go to war, western europe vs eastern europe, I understand who the true Israelites are & who the ppl that call themselves jew"ish" are, I understand a lot ppl won't make it into the Fathers Kingdom let alone Christ kingdom during the 1000 yr rest period..... etc etc etc....the book is on point, but if ppl continue to listen to others who are unlearned in the scriptures they will continue to get the run around & believe the book is useless... the only way to get knowledge is to actually read the book (it takes a good 3-4 yrs) to get full understanding of the book... even those that go to the school of "theory" theological have no clue what the book is speaking about. Those that have ears will hear & eyes will see....Its all about understanding when it comes down to it.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    For the word of ? is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

T/S is blind to try to deny the power of the Bible. It has extreme POWER!!!

Why else would you feel compelled to talk about it almost everyday if it didn't

You can't escape it no matter how hard you try.......

.......I just laugh.

PEACE
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    T/S is blind to try to deny the power of the Bible. It has extreme POWER!!!

Why else would you feel compelled to talk about it almost everyday if it didn't

You can't escape it no matter how hard you try.......

.......I just laugh.

PEACE
    It's assumptions like that, that make me laugh.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Bible has done more harm than good in the grand scheme of things.....it supports too much evil for me to post all of it here in this post.

Supporting slavery, sexism, xenophobia, and genocide under certain circumstances to me outweighs any good that may be there.

I have no use for the Bible.........
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    A lot of it really isn't that well written...in general it is one of the most overrated books ever, seems that most of the writers weren't that intelligent with words(which is probably why in ancient/medieevil times people bumped other literature, think house of wisdom, baghdad).

but off course, it is a great book and people can take/get from it what they want. ? abused it, Luther used it for the greater good. depends on yourself.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of ? . 1 Corinthians 1:18

Let's go !!!
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Bible has done more harm than good in the grand scheme of things.....it supports too much evil for me to post all of it here in this post.

Supporting slavery, sexism, xenophobia, and genocide under certain circumstances to me outweighs any good that may be there.

I have no use for the Bible.........

What's your proof for that?
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What's your proof for that?

The bible. Lol