The Seven Cardinal Sins

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Did the seven cardinal sins enter the world in any particular order? Does one have to occur before another?

Sins: Pride, gluttony, anger, sloth, greed, ? and envy

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think envy came first.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    They're all characteristics of human emotion. There was no particular order they came about. But I know Pride is the most destructive, because it takes no outside materials to manifest.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Envy certainly would not have been able to come first, the rest I am thinking about for a lil bit.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Yea you would have to be prideful first before becoming envious I would think. so maybe some of them have an order....
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    They're all characteristics of human emotion.

There was no particular order they came about. But I know Pride is the most destructive, because it takes no outside materials to manifest.

They're part of human something that's for sure lol

Idk, from my perspective in order to have pride, you'd have to have the other sins. If I had none of those other things, what could I be 'prideful' about?
    Envy certainly would not have been able to come first, the rest I am thinking about for a lil bit.

I totally think envy came first. We wanted something we didn't/couldn't have. We wanted that fruits goodness damn it! We even chose it over the tree of life, which we were allowed to eat from.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    They're part of human something that's for sure lol

Idk, from my perspective in order to have pride, you'd have to have the other sins. If I had none of those other things, what could I be 'prideful' about?

I totally think envy came first. We wanted something we didn't/couldn't have. We wanted that fruits goodness damn it! We even chose it over the tree of life, which we were allowed to eat from.

That wouldn't be envious, that would be ? . Envious requires someone else to have something you can't or will never have.
    PRide is basically. I'm better than you, nananana booboo. Basically nay rap song you hear on the radio would be the perfect example of pride. You don't really need anything other than a big head. But having things does help boost that ego.
    Choosing to eat from the fruit in the adam/eve story would pretty much be ? and curiosity and their lack of will to resist those feelings. I don't think Eve ate the apple out of envy, because there was noone else able to eat the fruit either. Basically, Adam and Eve were void of those deadly sins, until they ate the apple. Then those sins were brought to their awareness, and they were then able to be influenced by those sins.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That wouldn't be envious, that would be ? . Envious requires someone else to have something you can't or will never have.
    PRide is basically. I'm better than you, nananana booboo. Basically nay rap song you hear on the radio would be the perfect example of pride. You don't really need anything other than a big head. But having things does help boost that ego.
    Choosing to eat from the fruit in the adam/eve story would pretty much be ? and curiosity and their lack of will to resist those feelings. I don't think Eve ate the apple out of envy, because there was noone else able to eat the fruit either. Basically, Adam and Eve were void of those deadly sins, until they ate the apple. Then those sins were brought to their awareness, and they were then able to be influenced by those sins.

We could of been envious of ? , we would become like gods by having what they had(knowledge of good and evil). The gods had to have had the 'fruit' of that tree. The 'fruits' were the knowledge, the knowledge of good and evil. Then we became lustful for that knowledge, and took the fruit.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options

I think we lusted for the forbidden fruit, we weren't envious of it
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think we lusted for the forbidden fruit, we weren't envious of it

Yeah, we were envy the gods had knowledge of good and evil, and we didn't. Ahh maybe they came into together? Envy for the knowledge, and the ? for the 'fruit'. Could ? and envy be tided together?
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    We could of been envious of ? , we would become like gods by having what they had(knowledge of good and evil). The gods had to have had the 'fruit' of that tree. The 'fruits' were the knowledge, the knowledge of good and evil. Then we became lustful for that knowledge, and took the fruit.

True, but I dont think it mentions that in the story, about Eve or Adam being envious, does it? It's more of a "I'm not listening to ? anymore" type attitude if I remember, just for that short moment after Eve was manipulated by the serpent. If anything, they could have experienced pride for that moment, maybe envy could have been a little in there somewhere if so.

Come to think of it, I think almost all of the deadly sins might have played a part in that whole scenario.

Pride; "? it, I'm not listening to ? anymore, I can do whatever I want."
    Gluttony; "I have a whole garden, but I just have to have more, I have to have that tree."
    Anger; (I don't think anger played a part in this, but if so, it could have been like-) "? lied to me? wtf!"
    Sloth: (again, doesn't seem to play a role unless-) "I don't feel like going over to that other tree, this forbidden tree is closer anyways" LOL
    Greed; again... same as gluttony- "Even though I have this whole garden... I want that forbidden tree!"
    Envy: (you could be right) "Why does ? have all the powers, he just doesnt want us to have any fun!, I'm eating the fruit!"
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    True, but I dont think it mentions that in the story, about Eve or Adam being envious, does it? It's more of a "I'm not listening to ? anymore" type attitude if I remember, just for that short moment after Eve was manipulated by the serpent. If anything, they could have experienced pride for that moment, maybe envy could have been a little in there somewhere if so.

Come to think of it, I think almost all of the deadly sins might have played a part in that whole scenario.

Pride; "? it, I'm not listening to ? anymore, I can do whatever I want."
    Gluttony; "I have a whole garden, but I just have to have more, I have to have that tree."
    Anger; (I don't think anger played a part in this, but if so, it could have been like-) "? lied to me? wtf!"
    Sloth: (again, doesn't seem to play a role unless-) "I don't feel like going over to that other tree, this forbidden tree is closer anyways" LOL
    Greed; again... same as gluttony- "Even though I have this whole garden... I want that forbidden tree!"
    Envy: (you could be right) "Why does ? have all the powers, he just doesnt want us to have any fun!, I'm eating the fruit!"

Lol nice break down