Scientist wants to send man to mars with no return trip....for budget reasons LOL

Options
TX_Made713
TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
Dammit Obama!!! LOOL
Yahoo News wrote:
PULLMAN, Wash. – It's usually cheaper to fly one way, even to Mars.

Two scientists are suggesting that colonization of the red planet could happen faster and more economically if astronauts behaved like the first settlers to come to North America — not expecting to go home.

"The main point is to get Mars exploration moving," said Dirk Schulze-Makuch, a Washington State University professor who co-authored an article that seriously proposes what sounds like a preposterous idea.

At least one moon-walking astronaut was not impressed.

"This is premature," Ed Mitchell of Apollo 14 wrote in an e-mail. "We aren't ready for this yet."

Also cool to the idea was NASA. President Barack Obama has already outlined a plan to go to Mars by the mid-2030s, but he never suggested these space travelers wouldn't come home.

"We want our people back," NASA spokesman Michael Braukus said.

The article titled "To Boldly Go" appears in the latest issue of the Journal of Cosmology, which featured more than 50 articles and essays on Mars exploration.

Schulze-Makuch and Paul Davies, a physicist at Arizona State University, argue that humans must begin colonizing another planet as a hedge against a catastrophe on Earth. They believe the one-way trips could start in two decades.

"You would send a little bit older folks, around 60 or something like that," Schulze-Makuch said, bringing to mind the aging heroes who saved the day in the movie "Space Cowboys."

That's because the mission would undoubtedly reduce a person's lifespan, from a lack of medical care and exposure to radiation. Radiation could also damage reproductive organs, so sending people of childbearing age is not a good idea, Schulze-Makuch said.

Mars is a six-month flight away, and it has surface gravity, a thin atmosphere, frozen water, carbon dioxide and essential minerals. The two scientists propose the missions begin with two two-person teams, in separate ships that would serve as living quarters on the planet. More colonists and regular supply ships would follow.

The technology already exists, or is within easy reach, they wrote. By not taking the extra fuel and provisions necessary for a return trip to Earth, the mission could cut costs by 80 percent.

Davies and Schulze-Makuch say it's important to realize they're not proposing a "suicide mission."

"The astronauts would go to Mars with the intention of staying for the rest of their lives, as trailblazers of a permanent human Mars colony," they wrote.

They acknowledge the proposal is a tough sell for NASA, with its focus on safety, and suggest the private sector might be more fertile ground.

"What we would need is an eccentric billionaire," Schulze-Makuch said. "There are people who have the money to put this into reality."

Indeed, British tycoon Richard Branson, PayPal founder Elon Musk and Amazon.com Inc. CEO Jeff Bezos are among the rich who are already involved in private space ventures.

Isolated humans in space have long been a staple of science fiction movies, from "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" to a flurry of recent movies such as "Solaris" and "Moon." In many of the plots, lonely astronauts fall victim to computers, madness or aliens.

Psychological profiling and training of the astronauts, plus constant communication with Earth, would reduce debilitating mental strains, the two scientists said.

"They would, in fact, feel more connected to home than the early Antarctic explorers," they write in their article.

The mental health of humans in space has been extensively studied. Depression can set in, people become irritated with each other, and sleep can be disrupted, studies have found. The knowledge that there is no quick return to Earth would likely make that worse.

Davies' research focuses on cosmology, quantum field theory and astrobiology. He was an early proponent of the theory that life on Earth may have come from Mars in rocks ejected by asteroid and comet impacts.

Schulze-Makuch is the author of two books about life on other planets. His focus is eco-hydrogeology, which includes the study of water on planets and moons of our solar system and how those could serve as a potential habitat for microbial life.

Both men contend that Mars has abundant resources to help the colonists become self-sufficient over time. They write that the colony should be next to a large ice cave, to provide shelter from radiation, plus water and oxygen.

Despite the lack of enthusiasm from NASA, Schulze-Makuch believes many people would be willing to make the sacrifice.

He and Davies believe a Mars base would offer humanity a "lifeboat" if Earth became uninhabitable.

"We are on a vulnerable planet," Schulze-Makuch said. "Asteroid impact can threaten us, or a supernova explosion. If we want to survive as a species, we have to expand into the solar system and likely beyond."

___

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    just send ? robots wtf
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Bet they pick a black man.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »

ha.. I came in here to say that
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options

lol why would they pick some random ? to go start life on mars?
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options

No way, they'll never let a black man set foot on mars before a white man. But this is bs either way, no one is going to mars lol
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol why would they pick some random ? to go start life on mars?
    Yeah laugh if you want.

To another planet and never coming back? You know they already plotting the largest space ship ever constructed.

They gonna call it "? 's Arc."
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Why any of you go if you had the chance? I'm undecided. On one hand it would be an awesome experience, yet at the same time there is no one else to truly experience it with.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i would never go to mars and i'm also not with that new thing, taking trips to space for a $100,000 and ? . ? that. just give me the highlights of what happened when u get back or if u get back.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Why any of you go if you had the chance? I'm undecided. On one hand it would be an awesome experience, yet at the same time there is no one else to truly experience it with.

Yes, if I was asked to go to Mars and try to start life on it I would. I would have to see a pretty good setup and gameplan before I actually agreed though.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lol @ just gimme the highlights

Well assuming the ? didn't explode a minute after lift off and I actually got to get there, I think I would go.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'd go only if I had a female with me. I wouldn't go alone, no f'n way. lol But to be honest, I like earth, I like trees, I like animals. I would only want to visit mars for the experience... but I wouldn't want to live on that deserted rock. I've always been an explorer at heart though so...
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    I'd go only if I had a female with me. I wouldn't go alone, no f'n way. lol But to be honest, I like earth, I like trees, I like animals. I would only want to visit mars for the experience... but I wouldn't want to live on that deserted rock. I've always been an explorer at heart though so...

lol Obviously you'd go with females, they're not going to explore until they die they want to go try and start a colony and sustain it. I'm not sure either about this but once there it could be possible to plant grass, trees, and the like.
  • juice86
    juice86 Members Posts: 832
    edited November 2010
    Options

No away! no one is just going to hand a black man a whole planet! not a chance. Yall stay ? up this one enough, no man in the right mind would send a black man
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited November 2010
    Options
    juice86 wrote: »
    No away! no one is just going to hand a black man a whole planet! not a chance. Yall stay ? up this one enough, no man in the right mind would send a black man

That's the great thing about science, a man in his right mind believes impossible exist, while a man in the busy mind only pictures a roadblock
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    juice86 wrote: »

Wait, you're blaming the black man for ? up this world? lol
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Wait, you're blaming the black man for ? up this world? lol

black people invented imperialism, slavery, sexism, and war
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Ridiculous. No human being will ever go to mars before the Lord returns. After He returns and this universe is made right, I believe the whole heavens will be available for instantaneous travel. Hallelujah!
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited November 2010
    Options
    DoUwant2go2Heaven, would you be mad if the Catholics established the first church on Mars?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    DoUwant2go2Heaven, would you be mad if the Catholics established the first church on Mars?

It's not going to happen KTULU.

Why not accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior so that you can live forever?
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    black people invented imperialism, slavery, sexism, and war

ROFL, you're on fire with the jokes!
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    http://www.projectmars.net/

andrew_d_basiago.jpg
    Andrew D. Basiago, J.D., M.C.R.P. (Dist), M.Phil. (Cantab), 49, the founder and president of MARS and team leader of Project Pegasus, is a lawyer, writer, scholar, and 21st century visionary.

Andy is an emerging figure in the Truth Movement leading a campaign to lobby the US government to disclose such controversial truths as the fact that Mars harbors life and that the US has achieved “quantum access” to past and future events.

He has been identified as the first of two "planetary whistle blowers" predicted by the Web Bot, which analyzes the content of the World Wide Web to discern global trends.

Andy’s writings place him at the forefront of contemporary Mars anomaly research.

His paper The Discovery of Life on Mars, published in 2008, was the first work to prove that Mars is an inhabited planet.

After publishing this landmark paper, Andy founded the Mars Anomaly Research Society (MARS), which continues to make breathtaking discoveries of life forms and ancient artifacts on Mars.

Andy is also one of America’s early time-space explorers.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, he was a child participant in the time-space exploration program of the US defense-technical community, "Project Pegasus."

In that capacity, he was the first American child to teleport and took part in probes to past and future events utilizing time travel technologies then being researched and developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

For over ten years, Andy has investigated his experiences in Project Pegasus on a quest to prove them and communicate them to others.

Soon, he will publish a tell-all book that will describe his awe-inspiring and terrifying experiences in Project Pegasus and the true story of the emergence of time travel in the US defense community 40 years ago.

Andy was born on September 18, 1961 in Morristown, New Jersey, the youngest of five children, and grew up in Northern New Jersey and Southern California.

A past member of Mensa, the high IQ society, he holds five degrees, including a BA in History from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and a Master of Philosophy from the University of Cambridge.

While an undergraduate at UCLA, Andy became a journalist and protégé of writer Norman Cousins, who compared him to Robert M. Hutchins and nominated him to be the editor of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

He was inspired upon meeting the futurist Buckminster Fuller in 1981 to pursue a career in environmental policy. After they met, Fuller wrote: “Andrew Basiago’s integrity augurs well for humanity’s continuance in (the) Universe.”

Andy began his career writing articles about the urban environment for Los Angeles newspapers, national periodicals, and the Cousteau Society journal Calypso Log.

He studied environmental law at Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon, and then went on to design nature friendly urban plans for cities in California and study environmental law with Professor Malcolm Grant at Cambridge.

His papers about "urban sustainability" have been published in academic journals in Australia, Britain, and the United States, cited widely, and placed in the environmental policy collections of university libraries.

Andy was admitted to the Washington State Bar Association in 1996.

A lawyer in private practice, he works with writers and filmmakers in the development of books, TV shows, and feature films with planetary and interplanetary themes.

Recently, Andy edited several leading works related to humanity's contact with extraterrestrial life.

He was the editor of Alfred Lambremont Webre’s book, Exopolitics: Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe (Universe Books, 2005), which uses as a case study human contact with an advanced civilization on Mars.

He also edited The Fátima Trilogy by Joaquim Fernandes, Fina d’Armada, and other scholars (Anomalist Books, 2007), a definitive history of the Fátima Incident of 1917 that explores its extraterrestrial aspects.

Andy founded MARS in 2008 after discovering evidence of life in a photograph of the Red Planet beamed back to Earth by NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover Spirit.

He is dedicated to making MARS the leading international organization to research, disclose, and educate the public about life on Mars.

His crusade to prove his Mars findings and bring them to public light has been called “heroic.”

Of his founding of MARS, Andy has written:

“I am leading the campaign to achieve political recognition of the fact that Mars is inhabited because we must now enact the international treaty that is required to protect the ecology and civilization of Mars from visitation, exploration, habitation, and colonization by human beings from Earth. We must remember that Mars does not belong to the people of Earth. Mars belongs to the Martians! If we fail to recognize this, then we will fail our first major test of cosmic citizenship. I believe that the people of the Earth are ready for cosmic citizenship and I believe that they are ready for the truth.”

Andy is also on a crusade as a lawyer and activist to have the US government disclose its time travel secrets.

He believes that lobbying the US government to declassify its secret teleportation capability, so that teleportation can be adopted globally as a new form of civilian transport, is the most important environmental cause of our time.

He has named his campaign “Project Pegasus” after the secret US time travel program that he served in during his childhood as one of America’s first “chrononauts.”

Andy has enthralled listeners with his accounts of his time travel experiences on numerous radio and podcast interviews.

His appearance on Coast to Coast AM on November 11, 2009 was hailed as a major "disclosure event" and was one of the most popular broadcasts in the history of that show.

Andy has described his time travel experiences in Project Pegasus during appearances on mainstream television broadcasts in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

About his truth campaign Project Pegasus, Andy has stated:

“Imagine a world in which one could jump through Grand Central Teleport in New York City, travel through a tunnel in the time-space continuum, and emerge several seconds later at Union Teleport in Los Angeles. Such a world has been possible since 1967-68, when teleportation was first achieved by DARPA’s Project Pegasus, only to be suppressed ever since as a secret weapon. When my quest, Project Pegasus, succeeds, such a world will emerge, and human beings linked by teleportation around the globe will proclaim that the Time-Space Age has begun.”
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    so they wanna send 60yr old ppl up there
    lmao how these old folks gonna start civilization up there?
    maybe they get alzheimer and 4get where they are
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ...Being the ulitmate work-release program. Take a middle-aged lifer, give him/her/them some training and the chance to 'do something for humanity' ... somebody would take it.
  • dr.oliverpo
    dr.oliverpo Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    LOL... this country is a trip. America never went to the moon so their gonna send a man to the moon and when they have no contact with him anymore they'll just contact some hollywood studios and put it together. How Nice. (;