From cheek to cheek

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
What does turn the other cheek mean? No human wisdom allowed in here, yall gotta put on your godly wisdom caps, comprendre?

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What does turn the other cheek mean? No human wisdom allowed in here, yall gotta put on your godly wisdom caps, comprendre?

Si, senora.

Turn the other cheek speaks for itself. If someone does something wrong to you, don't get revenge. Now, the slave masters looooooved this verse, because they preached it as "be a good slave and obey your master no matter what". But I think it really means, don't seek revenge, don't lower yourself to the person who did you wrong otherwise you're no better than that person. Now don't get this confused with self defense, because everyone has the right to defend themseelves, but once all is said and done, don't get revenge out of spite. Do what you gotta do to make the situation right.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Si, senora.

Turn the other cheek speaks for itself. If someone does something wrong to you, don't get revenge. Now, the slave masters looooooved this verse, because they preached it as "be a good slave and obey your master no matter what". But I think it really means, don't seek revenge, don't lower yourself to the person who did you wrong otherwise you're no better than that person. Now don't get this confused with self defense, because everyone has the right to defend themseelves, but once all is said and done, don't get revenge out of spite. Do what you gotta do to make the situation right.

That makes good sense, don't be spiteful or revengeful. But then why not just say if someone hits one cheek, don't react back. Why say to offer them your other cheek?

For the sake of convo, why should people defend themselves? Why not let the other person carry the full burden of their error and you die knowing you were meek as a.... as a....mouse?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What Chike said.........

/thread
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That makes good sense, don't be spiteful or revengeful. But then why not just say if someone hits one cheek, don't react back. Why say to offer them your other cheek?

For the sake of convo, why should people defend themselves? Why not let the other person carry the full burden of their error and you die knowing you were meek as a.... as a....mouse?

Some people do whether they want to or not. As far as offering the other cheek, I think it was a figure of speech about character. Basically, you're so un-spiteful that if someone slaps you, you'll offer the other cheek out of... well... spite hahah ok that came out wrong I guess, but you get what I'm saying right?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Some people do whether they want to or not. As far as offering the other cheek, I think it was a figure of speech about character. Basically, you're so un-spiteful that if someone slaps you, you'll offer the other cheek out of... well... spite hahah ok that came out wrong I guess, but you get what I'm saying right?
    I think so.... now does that go for spiteful actions, or does it go for thoughts too?
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    I think that saying works more in favor of the author(s). Jesus turn the other cheek and got foresaken but then again he's supose to come back and smite some cheeks too. ? didn't turn his other cheek to lucifer when he was challenging him but he turns it when lucifer supposedly ? with man.
    This is the type of stuff that has put this idea of romance that comes with suffering. If you get more of the masses to be meek, turn cheeks and be lambs it makes it easier for the powers that be to manipulate.

Know as a sexual reference well............

Lmao the way your mind dismantles/computes stuff is great.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think so.... now does that go for spiteful actions, or does it go for thoughts too?

Your thoughts are only relevant if they influence your decisions.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Your thoughts are only relevant if they influence your decisions.

OKay but say someone did something to me, and altho I didn't do physical action back to them, but the rest of the day I sat fuming talking ? about them in my head, hoping they get smoked by a transport, fall down stairs etc etc..... would that be just as bad as punching them in the face and then carrying on through my day without a second thought of them?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think catholic priest and bishop Eddie Long took this verse literally.

"shut up young lamb and turn thy other cheek!"

For catholic priests, this is why I think they should be allowed to get married... not healthy to repress those urges .....or something...
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    OKay but say someone did something to me, and altho I didn't do physical action back to them, but the rest of the day I sat fuming talking ? about them in my head, hoping they get smoked by a transport, fall down stairs etc etc..... would that be just as bad as punching them in the face and then carrying on through my day without a second thought of them?

No, though you should work on being able to not let things get to you like that. I mean people vent, it happens. But as long as you don't take action or let those thoughts stress you out, you should be fine. I never do that anymore, I find no point in letting other people have that much power over me to draw out that much emotion, especially negative emotions. Nothing short of physically harming me or my loved ones ever gets me emotionally upset anymore. If I do rage, like over a game or something, I quickly catch myself and that usually makes me realise how pointless it is to get mad over something like that.... considering there are people in the world who have to drink the same water they bathe in.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Liar!
    You don't turn the other cheek when it comes to Gucci mane and western civilization.

That's because they haven't stopped what they're doing. I'm exposing what they're and bringing it to peoples attention. I'm not killing them or giving them beat downs or anything. Now if they stopped doing what they're doing... I wouldn't get them back after the fact. Gucci gets me raged, but not because I'm mad... it's because I'm passionately disappointed in the people who are too ignorant and feeble minded to actually ignore filth like that, thus making the world a worse place than it ultimately can be. Have a nice day, Ether. :)
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No, though you should work on being able to not let things get to you like that. I mean people vent, it happens. But as long as you don't take action or let those thoughts stress you out, you should be fine. I never do that anymore, I find no point in letting other people have that much power over me to draw out that much emotion, especially negative emotions. Nothing short of physically harming me or my loved ones ever gets me emotionally upset anymore. If I do rage, like over a game or something, I quickly catch myself and that usually makes me realise how pointless it is to get mad over something like that.... considering there are people in the world who have to drink the same water they bathe in.

But thought is what originally created this whole friggi'n existence! Maybe if I think the wrong thing, I create it somewhere, for myself or others :eek: and then I think, holy cow!, what if other people are thinking bad ? about me and their thoughts are creating something directed towards me or others !!:eek:
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    But thought is what originally created this whole friggi'n existence! Maybe if I think the wrong thing, I create it somewhere, for myself or others :eek: and then I think, holy cow!, what if other people are thinking bad ? about me and their thoughts are creating something directed towards me or others !!:eek:

lol no.. that's all superficial ? that can't be proven. The only way thought effects existence is when it influences action. Without us to be aware of existence, the universe was still here and will still be here afterwards, it's just that, without us, the universe cannot become self aware of itself. Without us or any other sentient beings, the universe just exists without anything to experience it.

When you're told that the way you think creates your own reality, it's basically, your way of thinking creates the way you perceive reality. So if you change your thinking to view being poor as being rich, and being rich as being poor.... you become rich.

It's like Jesus turning water into wine. Now, we know that wine is worse for you than water, so how in the hell does it make sense for Jesus to turn something as beautiful and perfect for us as water into something that is not good fro us at all and to look at that as a positive thing? That's absurd! But basically, what the story really means, is that Jesus took water, and showed his people how valuable water is, and in doing so, he turned the value of water into what his people formally valued wine as. He turned Water into Wine. He replaced peoples desire of wine with the desire of water. Jesus turned water into wine.

It would be like the world going into a post apocalyptic state, and you turn Water into Money. Now would that mean you literally turned water into green paper money? no.. it is a figure of speech saying, you use water the same way people use money. Get it? Nothing magical about it, just a play on words.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol no.. that's all superficial ? that can't be proven. The only way thought effects existence is when it influences action.
    Do you think ESP/"reading" people thoughts is possible?

Without us to be aware of existence, the universe cannot become self aware of itself. Without us or any other sentient beings, the universe just exists without anything to experience it.

Then experience is just a state of mind? One that the universe doesn't get to experience unless there is a sentient being conduit?

When you're told that the way you think creates your own reality, it's basically, your way of thinking creates the way you perceive reality. So if you change your thinking to view being poor as being rich, and being rich as being poor.... you become rich.
    Become rich literally or mentally?

It's like Jesus turning water into wine. Now, we know that wine is worse for you than water, so how in the hell does it make sense for Jesus to turn something as beautiful and perfect for us as water into something that is not good fro us at all and to look at that as a positive thing? That's absurd! But basically, what the story really means, is that Jesus took water, and showed his people how valuable water is, and in doing so, he turned the value of water into what his people formally valued wine as. He turned Water into Wine. He replaced peoples desire of wine with the desire of water. Jesus turned water into wine.

It would be like the world going into a post apocalyptic state, and you turn Water into Money. Now would that mean you literally turned water into green paper money? no.. it is a figure of speech saying, you use water the same way people use money.

I think I understand what you're saying here.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    1)Do you think ESP/"reading" people thoughts is possible?

2)Then experience is just a state of mind? One that the universe doesn't get to experience unless there is a sentient being conduit?

3)Become rich literally or mentally?

I think I understand what you're saying here.

1) I don't know. We only use a very small percentage of our brains, so maybe it's possible.

2) Pretty much.

3) Literally. Because you perceive the reality around you as being rich. You look at your stove, and think to yourself, damn I got one of those? holy ? ! People in third world countries would LOVE to have one! I'm Rich!! ? !! I have 5 different shirts to choose from?!! People in third world countries are lucky to have one!!!! ? dman, I have a bedroom of my own and a bed?!! I have it made!!!! No way!!! GTFOH I have food to eat everyday!!!!!...

....get what I'm saying?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Man, we don't turn the other cheek. I just turn and bust 'em in the grill.

I'm not one guy to get enraged, I don't like being mad but if you're gonna do something then I'm doing something back period. Unless I'm in a situation where I MUST turn the other cheek, then I will do so and gladly take it out on the wall when I get home. My anger has to channel somewhere and that's a guys face or something like that.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    1) Pretty much.

2) Literally. Because you perceive the reality around you as being rich. You look at your stove, and think to yourself, damn I got one of those? holy ? ! People in third world countries would LOVE to have one! I'm Rich!! ? !! I have 5 different shirts to choose from?!! People in third world countries are lucky to have one!!!! ? dman, I have a bedroom of my own and a bed?!! I have it made!!!! No way!!! GTFOH I have food to eat everyday!!!!!...
    Then the universe isn't conscious either? So consciousness and awareness are unique to humans?

That's mentally not literally. If nothing else changed but your ability to say holy cow!! I got all this stuff but no 'stuff' changed that's perspective. I was meaning literally as in 'riches' starting to come your direction.
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Man, we don't turn the other cheek. I just turn and bust 'em in the grill.

I'm not one guy to get enraged, I don't like being mad but if you're gonna do something then I'm doing something back period. Unless I'm in a situation where I MUST turn the other cheek, then I will do so and gladly take it out on the wall when I get home. My anger has to channel somewhere and that's a guys face or something like that.

Vibe... do you feel liberated now?
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    It means u are untouchable....if u do not care about violence/certain virtues/your ego no matter what force someone uses if you turn the other cheek you always stand above the other person because your inner self cannot be touched + the moment you actually turn the other the cheek the person in question should already realize you are above/beyond him/her.(it doesn't mean you do not give a ? , u just aren't attached or indifferent towards pain/your body)

there are zillions of stories about this( like a dude getting all his limbs cut of but he did not feel any pain untill his friend hit him with a flower etc, it's all in the mind, it's basically the you can ? me up physically but you can never touch my will/soul)
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    It means u are untouchable....if u do not care about violence/certain virtues/your ego no matter what force someone uses if you turn the other cheek you always stand above the other person because your inner self cannot be touched + the moment you actually turn the other the cheek the person in question should already realize you are above/beyond him/her.(it doesn't mean you do not give a ? , u just aren't attached or indifferent towards pain/your body)

there are zillions of stories about this( like a dude getting all his limbs cut of but he did not feel any pain untill his friend hit him with a flower etc, it's all in the mind, it's basically the you can ? me up physically but you can never touch my will/soul)

That makes good sense too actually. Stay centered and unmovable by outside influences. Like the buddha who was being beaten who asked them if they were finished so that he could carry on his way.
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    'Turn the other cheek" as to do with analysis and patience. A slap in the face is something trivial, something you can live with so you offer the other cheek to show just that. someone does something to you, step back and analyse it, dont just react instantly. IF after given it some thought you say, oh its not so bad, so you offer the other cheek. Hopefully by your reaction they see the error of their ways and apologize and WWIII is avoided. However if you offer them the other cheek and they kick you in the nuts, ITS ON!!
  • Alkindus
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That makes good sense too actually. Stay centered and unmovable by outside influences. Like the buddha who was being beaten who asked them if they were finished so that he could carry on his way.

lol yeah thats a better way to put it, imo a lot of things written down(from diamond sutra to the bible) teach spiritual independence/independent mind, our body is the 'fort of the gods' as a certain taoist wrote down once, not that our body isn't important but when u are spiritualy independent/enlightened etc u are indeed unmovable by outside influences and u(plus ur body ofcourse) always seems to function/live in optima forma.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I wonder how many years of practice it would take to able to be unmovable by anything.
  • Alkindus
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I wonder how many years of practice it would take to able to be unmovable by anything.

one moment should be enough, but honestly if u realize this once per day you are on the right path. It's also heavliy society depended(it shouldn't be really but it's easier thiugh) like in Morocco I can live like that and ? with time( 2 weeks feeling like 2 months, in a good way) here in holland I've got college offcourse and their is a more structered/cradle to grave like society(so it can be more difficult to know what is truelly important and what really is not)

Just keep in mind the differences in what you got from the heavens and what you got from man. Thats the key actually. It really can be about reminding yourself what is of value. for example you might be feeling stressfull towards a test, this test in essence is not important at all infact when you think about everything man made(from college diploma status to other things in general) hold no true value at all, so why stress.....

A lot of people also reach elightenment when confronted with their own mortality(better said the fear of death) they put things in perspective.

but really it shouldn't take years to feel the connection with your innerself/(? if you will), the holding on to that feeling/not getting caught up in everyday life/being distracted by it is what is difficult.

To me it has become somekind of mindstate(which is bad imo) because I need to get ? in order(finish my bachelor/master and make paper so that I can provide for my familia) and participate in society with it's virtuos/values....but I can go back to the enlightment state of mind by will, if I hear someone call for prayer, when I smell something, when I hear certain music etc
    all these things can remind me of my innerself and make me enlightened.

so yeah it is easliy reached but hard to maintain.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Then the universe isn't conscious either? So consciousness and awareness are unique to humans?

That's mentally not literally. If nothing else changed but your ability to say holy cow!! I got all this stuff but no 'stuff' changed that's perspective. I was meaning literally as in 'riches' starting to come your direction.

How can the universe be conscious when it requires a brain in order to consciousness to work. If it were possible to think without the need of a brain, we wouldn't have one. The universe is what it is and does what it does, and we ended up this way, in this form because of that. I wouldn't say the universe planned this out, I don't think it's capable of planning.

And yes, it IS literal, because by you changing your perspective, you're already have those riches. Who has the authority to tell you that having a ferrari or living in a mansion or having a private jet or wearing shiny rocks is the only form of riches? That's also a perspective. So if you change your perspective to see that you're already rich, but you're still expecting money to fall out the sky... then you really haven't changed anything at all.

Only mega churches try to trick people into thinking that if you believe in Jesus, money will start falling out of the sky for you. It's all ? . Not once in the history of mankind has money ever started raining out of the sky.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    How can the universe be conscious when it requires a brain in order to consciousness to work. If it were possible to think without the need of a brain, we wouldn't have one. The universe is what it is and does what it does, and we ended up this way, in this form because of that. I wouldn't say the universe planned this out, I don't think it's capable of planning.

And yes, it IS literal, because by you changing your perspective, you're already have those riches. Who has the authority to tell you that having a ferrari or living in a mansion or having a private jet or wearing shiny rocks is the only form of riches? That's also a perspective. So if you change your perspective to see that you're already rich, but you're still expecting money to fall out the sky... then you really haven't changed anything at all.

Only mega churches try to trick people into thinking that if you believe in Jesus, money will start falling out of the sky for you. It's all ? . Not once in the history of mankind has money ever started raining out of the sky.

Idk, I don't think the universe could have evolved to the point it did without consciousness or awareness of some sort, but I understand what you're saying, and in some regards have to agree.

Okay literal is not the word then. What I am trying to say is, it by changing your thoughts, does that bring physical riches to you. (like that "The Secret" type ? )
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Idk, I don't think the universe could have evolved to the point it did without consciousness or awareness of some sort, but I understand what you're saying, and in some regards have to agree.

Okay literal is not the word then. What I am trying to say is, it by changing your thoughts, does that bring physical riches to you. (like that "The Secret" type ? )

Other than what I said about perspective, no. If you think crossing your fingers and praying for 5 million dollars is going to get you what you want, you're batshit crazy. lol