** Education for OUR children! **

Options
Conscious__Nkechi
Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
HOping to get some positive feedback in here although there isn't a high volume of traffic through these parts.....

What do/will YOU teach your/OUR children? How?

This is not a thread asking what basic things you do/will teach, this goes a little deeper into the raising and betterment of OUR youth.

Parents chime in and give us examples of books which consist of meaning and substance (a lesson learned) that you read to your child(ren), Black figures in OUR history (whether great or small) that you educate your child(ren) on, activities you do with them to give your child(ren) the adequate amount of knowledge of themselves, their culture and history etc.

What are some lessons that you teach them but more importantly how do you expose them to not only memorizing what is taught, but truly being EDUCATED.

Non parents, what ideas do you have to instill the importance of self knowledge and what lessons are you planning to provide your children with to give them a stable foundation to prepare to send them out into the world of a system designed by a European-American society?

References are welcome.

Comments

• ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    this has nothing to do with what you're looking for, but in reference to something you brought up, 'our children'. I give you this

just last week, I interviewed a doctor who delivers illegitimate babies for a living on the daily. When I asked the doctor the reason these girls, most between the ages of 12 and 17, gave her for getting pregnant, the doctor told me the most common answer she got was (brace yourself, this is priceless): because their boyfriends told them they wanted to make sure they could get pregnant before they married them smfh

that is EXACTLY what the doctor told me

just imagine

'I love you baby girl, and I want to marry you, even though you only 12 or 13 or 14 or whatever, but first I got to be 100 percent sure you can have my baby.'

'Oh okay; makes sense to me baby. Well if that's all you need from me, fire away stud muffin!'

smfh

this can't be life