Daniel Day-Lewis will be playing the role of President Abraham Lincoln

Options
darkrain
darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Daniel Day-Lewis will be playing the role of President Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg's next project.
Daniel Day-Lewis to play President Lincoln in Steven Spielberg biopic
by Adam B. Vary
Categories: Biopics, Casting, Daniel Day-Lewis, Film, Lincoln, News, Steven Spielberg

Finally! Steven Spielberg’s long-gestating biopic of President Abraham Lincoln has got a start date — and its star. Two-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis will play the man on the five dollar bill in Lincoln, based on Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin’s best-selling biography of Lincoln’s presidency, Team of Rivals. Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America) has penned the screenplay, which in a release DreamWorks said will likely focus on “the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition [of slavery] and the end of the Civil War.” The film is scheduled to begin filming in the fall of 2011, with an anticipated release in the fall of 2012. In August, Liam Neeson announced he’d dropped out of playing the iconic president in the project, which briefly threw the film’s future in doubt.

Best actor of our generation. Seems like the kind of role he was born for. I can see him as Honest Abe already.

Comments

• Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Another Oscar for Lewis on the way.. DiCaprio is actually playing Teddy Rosevelt in a biopic that's coming out next year I wonder who will do the better job
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    DDL is the sorta actor who don't need a director...
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited November 2010
    Options
    mann phucc DDL

he robbed Tom Cruise of his oscar for Born on the 4th whne he did that My Left Foot movie,,,? wasnt even fair,,,
    you know people like them handicap stories
  • rip.dilla
    edited November 2010
    Options
    mann phucc DDL

he robbed Tom Cruise of his oscar for Born on the 4th whne he did that My Left Foot movie,,,? wasnt even fair,,,
    you know people like them handicap stories

DDL >>> Tom Cruise
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    day-lewis is crazy good.
  • rip.dilla
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    day-lewis is crazy good.

There Will Be Blood is the best film of the last decade... real talk
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's a nice turn-around. He'll do a much better job.
    Nobody messing with Di Caprio though, not of our generation, IMO.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    DDL >>> Tom Cruise

by far.......
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Paul Giamatti playing John Adams was the coolest historical movie ? that ive ever seen. I hope dude can top that straight-to-HBO performance.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    DDL is that dude. I love his voice (no ? ), but greatest of our generation? Stop.

Denzel's body of work is killing his (but of course, I've already noticed how y'all turn up y'alls nose to anything black on here), then you got DiCaprio, Cruise, Neeson, etc. He'll do a much better job than Neeson would have acting-wise. But either way it would've been good. I wonder if the script will tell the truth about his reasons behind the Civil War (not about Slavery as much as it was about derailing the confederacy.)
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    liam neeson looks more like honest abe than daniel day

I was thinking that dude in 300 who played the honest senator who was on the queens side would def. look the part
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ddl is a deep guy in the game lol
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    liam neeson looks more like honest abe than daniel day

danieldaylewisabrahamli.jpg

I'm very excited about this. I think Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect pick for this role.

Team of Rivals, on which the movie is based, is one of the best books I have ever read. It is an incredible story that shows the depth, character and intelligence of the most important person in American History.

I also thought Amistad, despite its flaws, was a great movie. Definitely one of the best movies ever made about an American historical event.

I like Liam Neeson but I don't think he can pull you in love with Abraham Lincoln character like DDL would do for you.
  • greenwood1921
    edited November 2010
    Options
    darkrain wrote: »
    danieldaylewisabrahamli.jpg

I'm very excited about this. I think Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect pick for this role.

Team of Rivals, on which the movie is based, is one of the best books I have ever read. It is an incredible story that shows the depth, character and intelligence of the most important person in American History.

I also thought Amistad, despite its flaws, was a great movie. Definitely one of the best movies ever made about an American historical event.

I like Liam Neeson but I don't think he can pull you in love with Abraham Lincoln character like DDL would do for you.

True. But the only reason I would go with Neeson is because him and Spielberg knocked it out the park in SCHINDLER'S LIST. That scene with the girl with the RED JACKET still haunts me to this day. (And the kid hiding in ? to keep from being caught by ? 's.)

This is going to be deeeeep emotionally.

Between The Color Purple, Amistad, and Schindler's List -- Spielberg has proven he can go deep when dealing with cultural time-pieces. Can't wait.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    darkrain wrote: »

c/s all
    and yes may as well give DDL his oscar now
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Much respect due to DDL, I think he'll completely own this role. Great pick!
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I work-out with this dude, whos entire front right thigh is Bill the Butchers face from Gangs of New York. ? is crazy. Every time I roll with him its like face to face with bill the butcher every I get his leg.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I wonder how the movies ends

jk
  • greenwood1921
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I work-out with this dude, whos entire front right thigh is Bill the Butchers face from Gangs of New York. ? is crazy. Every time I roll with him its like face to face with bill the butcher every I get his leg.

Pause, Granddad.
  • -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You know this is going to be amazing.