Ladies- yall tryna get fit?

Options
DEE-LICIOUS
DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Weight Room
I am! Been tryna go hard lately....I have to lose 10 pounds by the end of February and 15 pounds total. What I've been doing is:

Drinking Green Smoothies for breakfast
Limiting my food to mainly veggies and some sort of grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon
Working out doing: Pilates, jillian michaels dvd

Next week I'm getting back into my tae bo class, just signed up for a round of pole dancing classes (but im gonna stick with the chair exercises b4 i hit the pole), and I been slackin on working with my trainer so I'm gonna get back on schedule with him

I WANT to start jogging around this track near my house...I used to run around lake montebello but its too far for me now. I dunno tho...its mighty cold outside and that air going down my lungs while im running- burns my throat sometimes...i dunno why

anyway- anybody else? *waits for crickets*

Comments

• Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I am!! I've been on that bs all year so far. actually gained a pound due to eating whatever & always about to start working out.

My running shoes just got in so I'm going to be walking/jogging in the mornings now.

Diet: I'm trying to keep it really simple to start. It's when I try to track calories and all that junk is where I just say f it and eat out. lol.

This month: no meat except fish and no soda. I have a 33.8 oz water bottle that I want to drink at least one full one everyday.

Exercise Plan: Eventually I'll be doing P90x. My husband said he wants me to get used to workin out before we spend money on that. I have a bad habit of spending money on a good plan and never do it so...I'll listen to him on that.

My routine is again, simple: 3-5 sets of 10 at night:
    pushups
    situps
    leg lifts
    leg extensions
    squats

and walking & jogging in the mornings. anything more complicated will make me get discouraged and I'll be doing what I've been doing which was nothing....

oh yeah, youtube has fun at-home workouts..I'm gonna add tahitian hip hop on the weekends or in the mornings.

Good luck Dee!!
  • MR.Wright
    MR.Wright Members Posts: 28
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I am!! I've been on that bs all year so far. actually gained a pound due to eating whatever & always about to start working out.

My running shoes just got in so I'm going to be walking/jogging in the mornings now.

Diet: I'm trying to keep it really simple to start. It's when I try to track calories and all that junk is where I just say f it and eat out. lol.

This month: no meat except fish and no soda. I have a 33.8 oz water bottle that I want to drink at least one full one everyday.

Exercise Plan: Eventually I'll be doing P90x. My husband said he wants me to get used to workin out before we spend money on that. I have a bad habit of spending money on a good plan and never do it so...I'll listen to him on that.

My routine is again, simple: 3-5 sets of 10 at night:
    pushups
    situps
    leg lifts
    leg extensions
    squats

and walking & jogging in the mornings. anything more complicated will make me get discouraged and I'll be doing what I've been doing which was nothing....

oh yeah, youtube has fun at-home workouts..I'm gonna add tahitian hip hop on the weekends or in the mornings.

Good luck Dee!!

P90X is what i use to train cocky athletes who come to my gym. Breaks their spirit everytime. You can actually use if you have never worked out before. would be better than getting into a routine and then starting that.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    here here!
    i don't have a set regimen yet
    just trying to keep it consistent
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    wow...u definitely are gonna experience withdrawal syndromes if you love soda that much. But that shows you how bad it is for u...that you'll have headaches and ? when you DONT drink em. Caffeine is serious.

Glad to see some ladies tryna get fit in here! Heyyy Nthnis4eva! :)

Whats a CLA Supplement Kimi?? I never heard of this....and wii fit is cool too but i just cant be consistent with it...I love the yoga but some other activities are too much for me to be jumpin around in my house since i live on the 3rd floor
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited February 2010
    Options
    MR.Wright wrote: »
    P90X is what i use to train cocky athletes who come to my gym. Breaks their spirit everytime. You can actually use if you have never worked out before. would be better than getting into a routine and then starting that.

oh really?? How long are the workouts per day on average? I don't have more than 30 mins at this point.

Soda is the devil! So delicious but so bad. ugh..I had one this weekend. :( but I'm doing great with my water consumption. yay me!

Lets get it together ladies!
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    eek! i'm taking cla now! i've tried it before but i wasnt seriously working out..now i am so we'll see how much it helps.

I quit soda cold turkey like.....12 years ago. It was hard but like with anything else its about will power. I still crave it every blue moon but the last time i tried to drink it (upset stomach, my mom suggested a sprite) the carbonation was TOO strong and hurt my throat. That was enough to never try again. I would say just cut it down week by week or start diluting it with water..and be careful with juice. you want actual juice not "jucie drink" that ? 's almost as bad as soda.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Kimi wrote: »
    Yeah, we should do a fitness thread for the ladies, where we post pics and progress like on BHM. It helps when we can share tips and motivate each other. I'm well toned, but I'm tryna drop 10 pound like Dee, is and I'm having a hell of a time!!!

I'm in the ? Challenge on BHM. My hair is doing great but the exercise/diet part just got going. lol.. Feel free to post pics but I'm not doing it here..

My goal is 10 by April 1. I'm more worried about toning than my weight tho.

Strength training?? I used to do a circuit on the leg machines at the gym. Since I don't have a membership anymore, I just do squats/leg extensions if that counts..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lil info.....

Possible adverse effects of CLA in humans

There are concerns that the use of CLA supplements by overweight people may tend to cause or to aggravate insulin resistance, which may increase their risk of developing diabetes.Most supplements contain mixtures of two CLA isomers: the cis-9, trans-11 isomer (the predominant CLA isomer in milk and beef) as well as the trans-10, cis-12 (t10c12) isomer.

It is the trans-10, cis-12 isomer that is linked to many adverse side effects. Research indicates that supplementation with t10c12 CLA dramatically increases rates of oxidative stress, to levels considerably higher than that observed in heavy smokers. However, the evidence is controversial, and some studies using a mixture of c9t11 and t10c12 CLA showed no changes in insulin sensitivity.Although researchers are still not sure of the long term health effects of consuming CLA from supplements, foods naturally enriched in CLA, such as beef and dairy, are a safe alternative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid
  • dr. zero_ahh
    dr. zero_ahh Members Posts: 299
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The problem with foods that have CLA is that in order to get the right dosage to lose weight (which is about 4.5 g per day), you would have to eat high amounts of beef and dairy. In order to get the optimal 4.5 g necessary to lose weight (since the beef and dairy have such low dosages of CLA), you would have to eat a lot of meat and dairy (which is fattening and strains the body's internal organs). There is always a risk with supplementation; however, if done right, supplementation can help you lose weight along with a proper diet and exercise. And believe it or not ladies, you shouldn't be afraid to work with weights b/c weights can help you lose the weight quicker. It is impossible for a female to look like a bodybuilder (or like Serena Williams) unless it is genetics (i.e. she got more testosterone than the average female) or anabolic steroids.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do you have to warm up before you lift weights? How effective are resistance bands?
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A good way to warm up before weightlifting would be to do some cardio to prevent from cramping. Low-intensity cardio works best for burning fat. Generally, it depends on what you want though.
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid. There was a wiki link posted which explains what it is. But it is a supplement that is used to help aid in weight loss.
  • a.mann
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do you have to warm up before you lift weights? How effective are resistance bands?

yeah

5 or 10 mins. on the trendmill or elliptical should do it....bascaily sratching and warming up your muscles.
    also helps get your heart-rate up....another key & usually overlooked factor for weight lost
  • a.mann
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I know that it's in ceartain foods but taking the actual supplements are better for me. They work so well for me that I don't care about the side effects anyway!!! I do sort of worry about weight because I have really big thighs that I want to tone down so I get sort of weary about doing a lot of leg press machines with weights. One thing I do a lot is squats and donkey kicks which are really great for keeping the ass lifted!!

don't be so hasty because right now we all may have the power of youth and ambition on our side
    but as we all get order..trust & belive them "short cuts" and throwing caution to the wind will catch up
    but yeah "doneky kicks" definitly paying off 89a7ec95.gif..............
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It hasn't resulted in weight loss for me, but it keeps my stomach down for some reason...;.

Well loss around the mid-section. Unsure of if it will affect #s, but a 90 day research study was conducted with the makers of a high end brand of CLA (which also has egcg from green tea in it) called Abs+ and those who were on the supplement for 90 days along with the proper diet and exercise lost more than the diet and exercise group and control group. It's definitely something that doesn't hurt. As far as supplementation, if you know what you are doing and make sure not to stack too many supplements on a given cycle, you'll be fine and miss most of the side effects that bodybuilders and heavy supplement users have.

To answer the other issue about having a "big" muscle and doing weightlifting, that's just genetics. The way to work around it is not to lift for building muscle, but lift for repetitions instead. Lifting for repetitions works like cardio in that it helps you to burn the fat. Doing that just means "pyramiding down" or working from your maximum lift to your minimum lift, or your 2nd/3rd maximum to your absolute minimum.
  • a.mann
    edited February 2010
    Options
    'nother thing

if you taking multi supplements.

its a very good to take Milk Thistle

Good for liver support and over all health.
    Even helps you get clear skin from ance (remember the liver is basically the body" detoxification center")

http://www.puritan.com/milk-thistle-silymarin-065?afid=27&safid=Google&scid=7146&cm_mmc=Google-_-Herb_MilkThistle_Content-_-altmedicine.about.com-_-Ad+Text+4426136941&gclid=CNyPz8q_6Z8CFYZx5QodTgjAeQ

Milk Thistle Health benefits
    For many centuries extracts of milk thistle have been recognized as "liver tonics.".[15] Research into the biological activity of silymarin and its possible medical uses has been conducted in many countries since the 1970s, but the quality of the research has been uneven.[4] Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function.

It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), toxin-induced liver damage (including the prevention of severe liver damage from Amanita phalloides (death cap) mushroom poisoning), and gallbladder disorders.[16].[17] Reviews of the literature covering clinical studies of silymarin vary in their conclusions. A review using only studies with both double-blind and placebo protocols concluded that milk thistle and its derivatives "does not seem to significantly influence the course of patients with alcoholic and/or hepatitis B or C liver diseases."[18] A different review of the literature, performed for the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that, while there is strong evidence of legitimate medical benefits, the studies done to date are of such uneven design and quality that no firm conclusions about degrees of effectiveness for specific conditions or appropriate dosage can yet be made. [19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle
  • CASH RULES
    CASH RULES Members Posts: 306
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Low-intensity cardio works best for burning fat.
    this is why you shouldn't listen to random internet mafuckas when it comes to your health. go grab a couple fitness books instead.
  • a.mann
    edited February 2010
    Options
    CASH RULES wrote: »
    this is why you shouldn't listen to random internet mafuckas when it comes to your health. go grab a couple fitness books instead.

well the ? 's name is Dr. Zero
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    CASH RULES wrote: »

Instead of saying I'm wrong, how about you provide evidence because I can? The machines @ my gym are a little more advanced than most machines because per age group, the machines have the target heart rate for specific goals. One of the goals is obviously burning fat and according to those machines and other data, using up to 65% of your target heart rate zone for your age is actually more effective in burning fat than just going on a machine wildly without taking into consideration heart zones. Funny thing is research from Tom Venturo showed that HIIT vs. Low Intensity Cardio when compared to each other yielded the same fat burning result. Only difference was that HIIT produced the same burned calories in half of the time. Despite this, HIIT has weaknesses, such as the fact that it tends to take a toll on the body and can cause long-term problems if not done correctly. Also, HIIT does not help those with chronic pain or chronic muscle issues (it actually makes them hurt worse, and not in the good way). Low intensity cardio's biggest flaw is the time taken to achieve the same burning result; however, another fitness expert Jeff Anderson did research on the equation to show that low-intensity burns more fat than HIIT, even though HIIT burns more calories. The argument he used as opposed to Tom was that HIIT didn't burn as much fat per 30-minute session than HIIT did, even though HIIT burned more calories (which is something you will see in research). Also, with a low intensity plan, you don't have to keep the same speeds/resistances. To make it more challenging and burn more, you can add more resistance/incline/crossramp to shock the body so you can double your result, which actually creates Low Intensity Interval Training. Both are flawed in that...once your body peaks, you have to be creative and think of another way to burn the fat.

Thus, the take home point is...the debate between which is better will wage on; but we do know that folk have to find out what's best for their body and that both produce the same results. They key is time. I wouldn't suggest a ? HIIT plan for an obese person who still has to regulate his/her breathing or is just getting back into the gym. That's ridiculous and overworking your client. HIIT is usually more advanced and individuals who are used to the gym, experienced, can recover quicker, etc. tend to benefit. Furthermore, did you also remember the other point? HIIT helps you build muscle faster and is more anaerobic whereas Low Intensity is aerobic. It's even in weight training. Less reps at higher weights produce more muscle. More reps at lower weights tones. If that is true in weightlifting, then why is the same thing false for cardio? I mean, it's common sense and logic which happened to skip you in your effort to prove me wrong, which was a colossal FAIL. So how about adding something more to this than "oh he's wrong, go grab a couple of fitness books" when some of the fitness books I read when I started are BS as well? Just because they're published, it means they're right? Is that what you're saying because if so, you are in for a rude awakening and lost already. And unlike you, I have a link which also shows that

Tom Venturo
    http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/high-intensity-aerobic-exercise.html
    (oh and guess what...that study was done 15 years ago, in 95. So who's to say more recent research HASN'T proven that standard wrong?)

Jeff Anderson/Lee Hayward
    http://www.leehayward.com/burn-belly-fat.htm
    (And yes, I know they promote their programs too...but so does every other fitness guru)

Any other questions?
  • CASH RULES
    edited February 2010
    Options
    is this dude serious? lmao.

you wanna burn fat? eat healthy and try to do some kind of exercise every day. point blizzy! no need for all that other ? mayne. don't let these people fool you into thinking it's some complex ass sit.

"So WHILE you're hitting your cardio sets, you've "activated" your abdominal area for fat destruction!"

lol @ that tho.
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So clearly you're basically saying ? to be a ? . Weight loss isn't that easy for everyone #1. And #2, that's obvious, but there are people who do that who still do not lose a pound and in that case, they should see their doctor to see if they have hypothyroidism which blocks them from losing weight or another issue which may block them. Some people peak early and have issues with continuing the weight loss. It does get more complex down the line, despite how "basic" you're trying to make it seem. Just because there are extended explanations to what goes on in a person's body does not mean that it is "complex."
  • CASH RULES
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So clearly you're basically saying ? to be a ? . Weight loss isn't that easy for everyone #1. And #2, that's obvious, but there are people who do that who still do not lose a pound and in that case, they should see their doctor to see if they have hypothyroidism which blocks them from losing weight or another issue which may block them. Some people peak early and have issues with continuing the weight loss. It does get more complex down the line, despite how "basic" you're trying to make it seem. Just because there are extended explanations to what goes on in a person's body does not mean that it is "complex."

No, I just don't want to engage you (no greece) because:

1) You said "low-intensity cardio works best for burning fat," then in the next post said "the debate between which is better will wage on; but we do know that folk have to find out what's best for their body and that both produce the same results."

2) One of your sources makes the claim of being able to spot reduce fat by "activating" your abs

3) You're trying to compare weight lifting to cardio.

4) It ain't that serious
  • dr. zero_ahh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    1) Based on my experience, it does and it has worked for other people who have been on the same program.
    1a) Yes I added it that, to be fair because not everyone has an hour to waste.
    1b) Not all research will agree w/me, and not all research will agree with HIIT, hence why the debate wages on. Assumed that the low intensity comment was JMO, not taken to be fact. Next time, I'll specify.

2) You can't spot reduce, but he was speaking about a double-burn effect on the muscle in general AFTER you completed the exercise. He was being specific to abs and we know you cannot spot reduce.

3) The comparison was a time/class of exercise it was. I thought it was common knowledge that HIIT was efficient and time efficient (like power lifting) but ultimately led to more muscle due to it being anaerobic as opposed to slower cardio which was aerobic. Read again

4) Then why even respond in the first place?
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Girl it gets hard because you are addicted to the caffeine and have cravings but just push through it!! I stopped drinking Pop 2 years ago and every blue moon I'll have one and it sparks the cravings for more. Once you do quit or cut back you will feel so much better. You will find that your waist is shrinking because soda bloats it. As far as in response to the thread I do spin class and yoga!! those two things keep me in decent shape plus I take CLA supplements and they keep my waist down really well. A lot of ladies do well with Wii fit, I saw my BF loose 20 pounds after she started on it.....no lie!!

Is this the same for coffee? I am a coffee addict and I've tried to quit drinking it all together and switch to tea because I hear tea flushes fat and coffee makes you store it....? I think coffee with the creamers and splenda/ sugar is easily making me retain like 7-10 lbs. Is it as bad as soda?!