Is it MVP or blacks in general

Options
Chillin&Postin
Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
edited January 2011 in Off The Turn Buckle
why cant he get a real push
i just saw this article on lordsofpain

- MVP and Chris Jericho went back and forth a bit on Twitter this weekend and Jericho asked MVP, "are you still with the company?"

MVP replied with the following: "Barely it would seem. Just barely."

A fan later asked why does MVP always get "screwed over" on SmackDown. MVP replied: "If you find out let me know please! Lol."

Comments

• Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    wow,,, this is deep

by Nick Paglino
    Oct 18, 2010 As the behind-the-scenes story of MVP and his current WWE situation continues to unfold, WrestleZone has learned some new information from several well placed WWE sources.

MVP's push in WWE has been at a stalemate for quite some time now, which has left fans puzzled as to why the superstar has not been given a better spot in the company.

From what we've been told, MVP's WWE situation is best described as a "double-edged sword." MVP is a convicted felon who spent 9 years in prison prior to signing with WWE. On the one hand, WWE likes to use MVP's story to its advantage as the company likes the idea of having a "feel-good" story to run with in order to promote a more philanthropic image. MVP has turned his life around, devotes a lot of his time to charity and has maintained a high profile job with WWE. This is an attractive story the company can use if necessary.

On the other hand, however, MVP's past ultimately limits him. With the political environment as it is in WWE at the moment, the fear is that if the company pushes MVP too high it could prove to be detrimental should anyone decide to criticize WWE for hiring a convicted felon.

Additionally, WZ has been told that Vince McMahon doesn't like MVP as a heel, and given MVP's past the only way a true heel turn could work for him would be if creative went all the way with the turn and made light of his time spent in prison. Given WWE's current PG setting, that idea is highly unlikely. While it's true that MVP's jail time has been mentioned on WWE TV in the past, it was well before WWE made the full move to a PG rated product.

From what WZ has been told, there is no one singular incident which has accounted for MVP's lack of push, nor is there any heat on him for any specific reason. "This is not a Matt Hardy situation," said a WWE creative team member, "MVP is not being punished nor does he have any heat on him, it's more a matter of creative being limited in what it can pitch for MVP given his past and WWE's current political landscape."

WZ has been told that MVP is set to meet with Vince McMahon within the coming days to address both his current situation and his future, so we will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think its blacks in general. MVP and Shelton Benjamin would always start getting a push and a few weeks later it would disappear.
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think its blacks in general. MVP and Shelton Benjamin would always start getting a push and a few weeks later it would disappear.

shelton pushes were legit actually

shelton was the black lance storm in WWE,,,very good technically but slim to none in the charisma department

he was mostly used as a tool to make MITB matches more interesting... that golden benjamin angle they did with him coulda worked if he had mic skills

alot of guys have strong southern drawls that jus dont translate well to the cable audience i guess
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    It's always a black thing.

WWE and wrestling creative in general have stereotyped black wrestlers to a point they can't excel past those stereotypes. The writing limits them to having hard heads, not so smart, dancing, hip hop, homeboy, etc. The writers will never put a black wrestler in the position that a Triple H is always in. They will never create a storyline where the black wrestler looks strong and can benefit from his feud. The Rock is an exception because he's lightskin and can pass either way.

Look at what happened to Cryme Tyme. They were "thugs", dressed the part, talked the part. When they broke up, JTG was supposed to be a "? " maybe, or whatever he was supposed to be and now is stuck doing nothing, and Shad had no future and just got future endeavored last week. Shelton Benjamin, probably the most gifted athlete on the roster had nothing for him and didn't get resigned. Yet, Santino gets run, David Otunga gets run, Michael Tarver gets run, Tyler Reks gets run, etc......
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ayo,
    IMO,,,

WWE pulled an improved version of David Arquette by lettin Mike Mizanian become a legit star

sure he can wrestle and has mic skills,,but to put his push in front guys who have been there??? nah,,that ? jus soured me

but im really wondering how many black wrestlers actually want a gimmick that is a stereotype.
    maybe they feel it is easier to sell since they are familiar with it.
  • Mally_G
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ayo,
    IMO,,,

WWE pulled an improved version of David Arquette by lettin Mike Mizanian become a legit star

sure he can wrestle and has mic skills,,but to put his push in front guys who have been there??? nah,,that ? jus soured me

but im really wondering how many black wrestlers actually want a gimmick that is a stereotype.
    maybe they feel it is easier to sell since they are familiar with it.

seriously, i could care less of a dudes past, if he came from reality TV or whatever if he can go in the ring. Miz has improved from the time he was first introduced, so you have to give props for that. Otunga is still green, so I don't have anything positive to say about him right now. At least he's doing it, so I can respect that; but is he in it because of his association to J'Hud or does he really want to do it?

If I were to be a wrestler, I'd take the Bad News Brown gimmick. Tough dude with technical skills and a bad attitude.

Ha, now that I think about it, Stone Cold was a white version of Bad News Brown, down to the ring gear except boot color.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    wow,,, this is deep

by Nick Paglino
    Oct 18, 2010 As the behind-the-scenes story of MVP and his current WWE situation continues to unfold, WrestleZone has learned some new information from several well placed WWE sources.

MVP's push in WWE has been at a stalemate for quite some time now, which has left fans puzzled as to why the superstar has not been given a better spot in the company.

From what we've been told, MVP's WWE situation is best described as a "double-edged sword." MVP is a convicted felon who spent 9 years in prison prior to signing with WWE. On the one hand, WWE likes to use MVP's story to its advantage as the company likes the idea of having a "feel-good" story to run with in order to promote a more philanthropic image. MVP has turned his life around, devotes a lot of his time to charity and has maintained a high profile job with WWE. This is an attractive story the company can use if necessary.

On the other hand, however, MVP's past ultimately limits him. With the political environment as it is in WWE at the moment, the fear is that if the company pushes MVP too high it could prove to be detrimental should anyone decide to criticize WWE for hiring a convicted felon.

Additionally, WZ has been told that Vince McMahon doesn't like MVP as a heel, and given MVP's past the only way a true heel turn could work for him would be if creative went all the way with the turn and made light of his time spent in prison. Given WWE's current PG setting, that idea is highly unlikely. While it's true that MVP's jail time has been mentioned on WWE TV in the past, it was well before WWE made the full move to a PG rated product.

From what WZ has been told, there is no one singular incident which has accounted for MVP's lack of push, nor is there any heat on him for any specific reason. "This is not a Matt Hardy situation," said a WWE creative team member, "MVP is not being punished nor does he have any heat on him, it's more a matter of creative being limited in what it can pitch for MVP given his past and WWE's current political landscape."

WZ has been told that MVP is set to meet with Vince McMahon within the coming days to address both his current situation and his future, so we will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

That's ? cuz Booker T had a nice rapsheet, too. They pushed they ? outta him when he came to WWE from WCW.
  • birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    its just mvp. the only black wrestler that had legit star power was booker t. sure he never got the hhh push, but his wwe career was still alot better than most white wrestlers careers.
  • DrMindbender122
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Booker T was so well liked that his career was able to withstand him saying "? " on TV. Once that ? came outta his mouth, he was like: "Oh ? . My Bad, Mayne."

Sherri was CTFU over that ? .
  • birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Booker T was so well liked that his career was able to withstand him saying "? " on TV. Once that ? came outta his mouth, he was like: "Oh ? . My Bad, Mayne."

Sherri was CTFU over that ? .

hahahahahaha that ? looks horrified that he said it. then after he gets control of himself hes like thats right, i said it. lmao i have some new found respect for booker now.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's ? cuz Booker T had a nice rapsheet, too. They pushed they ? outta him when he came to WWE from WCW.

no no no no

are you forgetting Booker's first program with HHH???

all they did wasw highlight the fact that Booker T robbed that wendy's as a teenager

the whole angle was HHH calling Booker T a criminal and saying how he is out of his league,he is criminal. conneticut blue blood vs houston tuff

and thennnnnnnnnnnn they pulled the same ? with MVP vs Jack Swagger....swagger saying he aint gonna wrestle MVP cuz he doesnt fight criminals
  • DrMindbender122
    edited November 2010
    Options
    no no no no

are you forgetting Booker's first program with HHH???

all they did wasw highlight the fact that Booker T robbed that wendy's as a teenager

the whole angle was HHH calling Booker T a criminal and saying how he is out of his league,he is criminal. conneticut blue blood vs houston tuff

and thennnnnnnnnnnn they pulled the same ? with MVP vs Jack Swagger....swagger saying he aint gonna wrestle MVP cuz he doesnt fight criminals

Yoooo....I forgot all about that ? . Man, I forgot all about HHH being cast as a blueblood when he first came into the WWF/WWE.
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    and that angle came on the heels of the WCW buyout

all the smarks and mags were predicting these great dream matches,,,but WWE never let them happen or atleast as planned

all the former WCW talent were basically used as step ladders in all the fueds
    Booker's first fued was against the Rock. it was billed as Rock Bottom vs Bookend because booker had started using a modified uranage/rock bottom instead of the scissor kick...rock embarrassed him
    then was the HHH thing where they insulted him as a man and constantly brought up his past to the point where JR brought it in damn near ever segment,,,then the golddust thing,,,poor booker

it took him like 6 years to get to that king booker status and even then he didnt win WWE's belt,he won the "big gold belt"

and if you notice,very few WCW guys have ever held the WWE title. they always win the World Heavy Title aka big gold belt
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The way WWE handles it's black personalities on tv is just totally ? and it's been like that for years and years. Now they got R-Truth shuckin and jiving back then it was Funk Master Flash (2 Cold Scorpio) coming out in the 70's hate dancing around and that was in 96-97. Then during the attitude era during 98-99 it was the Godfather and full blowin "? ". I think the only respectable black characters WWE has gotten over successful was The Rock & Ahmed Johnson(maybe).

The thing that ? me off with WWE when it comes to it's black athletes is if this is suppose to be like a sort of a weekly entertainment soap opera then why bring up the fact that they had criminal backgrounds(Booker, Truth,& MVP) and then have the announcers subliminal clown them like the King did with Booker during his feud with HHH, or Swagger w/MVP? My thing is if Vince dosen't want to push MVP due to his past then why hire him to begin with? (If this is the actual case behind him not getting a stronger push) At the rate WWE is going with MVP either push him or release him.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Dont forget when Triple H told Booker T that someone like him (meaning black) could never be wwe champion
  • Mally_G
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Booker was used as a false hope for all of the WCW wrestlers that came over in the buyout. The WWE made you believe he had a chance of taking down HHH and they even built the storyline up to where Booker was supposed to win by all standards of the storyline, but of course HHH ? on him and beat him.

Most, if not all former WCW wrestlers win the Big Gold because that is the former NWA/WCW belt. That's why that belt was relegated to Smackdown during the split. Smackdown was supposed to be the rehash of WCW and was even treated that way. It had all the technical wrestlers, the smaller wrestlers, the lesser known wrestlers, with a few ME dudes tossed in there, but mainly Smackdown was never thought off as a quality show. RAW had all the big names and the better storylines, but their ME sucked because HHH was sleeping everyone in his path. If you go back, HHH literally was using a sleeper hold to beat his opponents during the original roster split..........disgraceful.

But the black wrestler has never been given a fair shake in wrestling. Ron Simmons won the WCW Championship because there was a civil lawsuit against the company for WCW firing minority employees in droves and they wanted to cover that ? up by putting the belt on a black man to show the courts they weren't racist.

If you listen to the Brickhouse Brown shoot interview, he even says that in some territories in the south, organizations were only allowed 1-2 blacks at a time and if a new black wrestler were to come in, they ship one of the others off to another territory. Then all they black wrestler was allowed to do was big a big ape type wrestler or show athleticism, but it never got them anywhere. They were all a sideshow act........and ? hasn't changed.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    mvp gotta hard new theme song
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Excuses, rationalizing.. at the end of the day Booker T spent a good time in jail for arm robbery.. ARM ROBBERY..it's psychological racism at the end of the day. Can't hold people's past against them if they have redeemed themselves and have caused literally NOOOO problems virtually that i know of since in the public... I mean didnt Randy Orton go AWOL in the army (marines or whatever for you technical nerds), and he doesnt seem to suffer one bit from that.. and don't use that ? RATIONAL/LOGIC that well his character is better and he's a 3rd generation ... we all know ? when we see it /rant.
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Pretty much co signing this thread. Hell the only reason Booker even got the WHC was because the King Booker gimmick got a ton of Heat and Mysterio and Batista were always injured.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    Booker was used as a false hope for all of the WCW wrestlers that came over in the buyout. The WWE made you believe he had a chance of taking down HHH and they even built the storyline up to where Booker was supposed to win by all standards of the storyline, but of course HHH ? on him and beat him.

Most, if not all former WCW wrestlers win the Big Gold because that is the former NWA/WCW belt. That's why that belt was relegated to Smackdown during the split. Smackdown was supposed to be the rehash of WCW and was even treated that way. It had all the technical wrestlers, the smaller wrestlers, the lesser known wrestlers, with a few ME dudes tossed in there, but mainly Smackdown was never thought off as a quality show. RAW had all the big names and the better storylines, but their ME sucked because HHH was sleeping everyone in his path. If you go back, HHH literally was using a sleeper hold to beat his opponents during the original roster split..........disgraceful.

But the black wrestler has never been given a fair shake in wrestling. Ron Simmons won the WCW Championship because there was a civil lawsuit against the company for WCW firing minority employees in droves and they wanted to cover that ? up by putting the belt on a black man to show the courts they weren't racist.

If you listen to the Brickhouse Brown shoot interview, he even says that in some territories in the south, organizations were only allowed 1-2 blacks at a time and if a new black wrestler were to come in, they ship one of the others off to another territory. Then all they black wrestler was allowed to do was big a big ape type wrestler or show athleticism, but it never got them anywhere. They were all a sideshow act........and ? hasn't changed.

Damn so that's the story behind the scenes of him winning the WCW Championship? If so that's a very ? up way to do it but I just hate how WWE has portrayed black wrestlers over the decades b/c it's always some sterotype behind the character either he dances, ? , or thuggin'.
  • real ness
    real ness Members Posts: 263
    edited November 2010
    Options
    and that angle came on the heels of the WCW buyout

all the smarks and mags were predicting these great dream matches,,,but WWE never let them happen or atleast as planned

all the former WCW talent were basically used as step ladders in all the fueds
    Booker's first fued was against the Rock. it was billed as Rock Bottom vs Bookend because booker had started using a modified uranage/rock bottom instead of the scissor kick...rock embarrassed him
    then was the HHH thing where they insulted him as a man and constantly brought up his past to the point where JR brought it in damn near ever segment,,,then the golddust thing,,,poor booker

it took him like 6 years to get to that king booker status and even then he didnt win WWE's belt,he won the "big gold belt"

and if you notice,very few WCW guys have ever held the WWE title. they always win the World Heavy Title aka big gold belt

Dont forget his feud with Stone Cold that him as a shoplifter/store grazer
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Booker T got ? over heavy in 2002-2003 and 2004.

MVP been getting ? over... ? be over with them crowds and WWE keep them down while pushing Juan Cena, Nexus and all them ? ..
  • TheHitman
    TheHitman Members Posts: 28
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Y'all think the reason is cuz wwe so big wit the southern redneck types that if they had a brotha in the top spot then they wouldnt spend money on the product?

Ridiculous but could be valid
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited November 2010
    Options
    TheHitman wrote: »
    Y'all think the reason is cuz wwe so big wit the southern redneck types that if they had a brotha in the top spot then they wouldnt spend money on the product?

Ridiculous but could be valid
    but WWE's main audience was never deep south... for years WWWF/WWF was known as "up north" in the biz because they were based out of NY and Connecticut

now TNA i could see having this issue but WWE tries to be the universal appealing product

actually,,, you cant name many if not any redneck gimmicks that have held a WWF/E title outside of Stone Cold...even JBL was a southerner who turned New Yorker