Anybody did Jury service?

Options
MeTaL
MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
Well today, I had jury service, and so far so good. It was about 56 people they call and we had to go into the courtroom, where the attorney, and 3 other dudes have to pick 12 jurors. Unfortunately they only chose 6 people so far.(the original six got discharge) Now I got to go tomorrow and pray that next six, that they don't call me.

Already miss a final for a class today, now the case it self is about a family suing a doctor for malpractice. The six original people got discharge because they were bias and couldn't be fair. So now if i get call along with five others(that randomly shuffle the deck of cards with the names on them). Then I am going to tell them I can't be fair because I had a grandma who died because of malpractice and my emotions we cause drift if I serve on the juror. Now If they don't call my name, while they looking for the last six, then I serve my juror service and an automatic discharge.

There are still a lot people so, I doubt my name will be call, but i can't speak to0 sure of it yet.

Comments

• Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What happens if you don't go? I haven't gone yet.
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options

Well, it been said, that they come to your house and arrest you. Then charge you with 1,500 fine. Did you make a postponement? I think you can only make 2 of those and then your have to serve. It just basically you and other people get call for particular case and they just looking for 12 qualify jurors. For me so far I didn't get call, they picked six people so far and I have to go tom, because out of the group they got the six from. They need six more people, so I am praying they don't call, cause I don't wanna do no damn jury.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    even if you say that you can still get picked

when attorneys voir dire ..... both sides look for someone who's "vote" they can sway
  • ToWn_DrUnK
    ToWn_DrUnK Members Posts: 1,018
    edited November 2010
    Options

you mean you never got a letter sayin you had jury lol
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I wonder how they would react if you told them you were an atheist. (whether you're one or not)
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I did that ? this past summer> My best advice is get some sleep dunny b/c that ? is boring as ? unless u get like a murder case or some ? . I was dozing off like hell in the middle of testimonies & ? lol. Oh yeah I tried that ol "I cant be partial ? "...needless to say it didnt work!!!
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    even if you say that you can still get picked

when attorneys voir dire ..... both sides look for someone who's "vote" they can sway

No, it wasn't like that all, maybe the rules apply differently were you at.. I am in new york city, and some of jurors were ask if they want to speak privately due to what they were saying, like this one woman got discharge because she didn't trusted doctors and had relative he was neglected by a doctor. So they all went in hall way with her to speak privately. 5 mins later they come in and give her jury card, told her she was discharge and her jury services was completed.
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    I wonder how they would react if you told them you were an atheist. (whether you're one or not)

well I am, but best not to tell them that...
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited November 2010
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    Well, it been said, that they come to your house and arrest you. Then charge you with 1,500 fine. Did you make a postponement? I think you can only make 2 of those and then your have to serve. It just basically you and other people get call for particular case and they just looking for 12 qualify jurors. For me so far I didn't get call, they picked six people so far and I have to go tom, because out of the group they got the six from. They need six more people, so I am praying they don't call, cause I don't wanna do no damn jury.

Hmmm well I haven't been arrested. And I've gone to the courthouse since I skipped out on jury duty and no one has mentioned anything. I didn't even get a notice. I ask though because I just got another one. I know there's some procedure for getting out of it but I never open the envelopes to know what that procedure would be. I'm glad you made this thread. I guess I'll have to go to this one.
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    I did that ? this past summer> My best advice is get some sleep dunny b/c that ? is boring as ? unless u get like a murder case or some ? . I was dozing off like hell in the middle of testimonies & ? lol. Oh yeah I tried that ol "I cant be partial ? "...needless to say it didnt work!!!

Yeah dude, like they call the first 6 people right and they started questioning them. Out of 6 three were ask if they wanted to talk privately of what they was saying and boom, all three of them got discharge and they started picking three more people. So in all today they have 6 so far. Tom, they will look for six more and to be honest their is a lot of people.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ToWn_? wrote: »
    you mean you never got a letter sayin you had jury lol

Got one a couple years back and another one this past week. I don't mind going but I want something exciting. Not some bullsh*t litigation. I was thinking more along the lines of the Menendez Brothers or Scott Peterson.
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Got one a couple years back and another one this past week. I don't mind going but I want something exciting. Not some bullsh*t litigation. I was thinking more along the lines of the Menendez Brothers or Scott Peterson.

They assign us to civil case and just looking for 12 jurors to do it.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well how do you get a criminal case? Criminal cases have jurors too. I always thought it was just a lottery basically.
  • MsSouthern
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No, it wasn't like that all, maybe the rules apply differently were you at.. I am in new york city, and some of jurors were ask if they want to speak privately due to what they were saying, like this one woman got discharge because she didn't trusted doctors and had relative he was neglected by a doctor. So they all went in hall way with her to speak privately. 5 mins later they come in and give her jury card, told her she was discharge and her jury services was completed.

all that means is she wasn't what they were looking for

voire dire is pretty much the same no matter what state you live in
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well how do you get a criminal case? Criminal cases have jurors too. I always thought it was just a lottery basically.

yeah it is lottery, the court I was at, they have the court room pool, where they call random people to a case panel, you may be put in a civil or criminal case.
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    all that means is she wasn't what they were looking for

voire dire is pretty much the same no matter what state you live in

I know what you mean, I was just saying how they got discharge. In honesty I can't do this, I already miss a final and I got two more tom. We got to be there at 10:00 am sharp.
  • MsSouthern
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I know what you mean, I was just saying how they got discharge. In honesty I can't do this, I already miss a final and I got two more tom. We got to be there at 10:00 am sharp.

you should say something like .............. if he's guilty he deserves the death penalty
  • MeTaL
    edited November 2010
    Options
    you should say something like .............. if he's guilty he deserves the death penalty

Hmm, interesting... i got couple as well. They ask the jurors the same questions. Like the first question what is your thoughts of a doctor?. Then they ask can you be fair and open minded? Then they ask if you will be emotionally drifted in anyway due to family member dying of a doctor neglect? If yes then they ask do you want to speak privately about it? I am going to say yes and just go in.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i actually gotta do it tomorrow.. should be interesting
  • -JB-
    -JB- Banned Users Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I did it three time's just for a day though, not on a major case, you get a few buck's, off from work, or school, it aint nothing, I even ducked a few jury service letter's, then they send you threatening letter's, saying woooh, woooh, wooh,and then ask, can you please come to the next one that you're selected for
  • -JB-
    edited November 2010
    Options

You for the death penalty Texas?
  • -JB-
    edited November 2010
    Options

They send you threatening letter's, saying you will be fined or even arrested , whatever, I've done three, I've ducked four, never been fined or arrested for dodging jury duty, but you will be selected more often for jury duty,if you miss here
  • MsSouthern
    edited November 2010
    Options
    -JB- wrote: »
    You for the death penalty Texas?

depends on the facts of the crime
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Went once. Most boring ? ever. Was there from like 9am to 3:30pm. I didnt get called in for ? . At the end of the day they just gave a slip as proof I showed up and that was that. They dont want me on a jury, the crackas will be mad.